what's the difference? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

what's the difference?

question i've always been curious about

what are the actual differences between a really seasoned guitar and a new guitar that makes it play so much better than the latter?(most of the time)

i mean the features on the guitar itself, what's different and changes over time?

my 3 year hard tail SG(with alot of play hours) plays SO MUCH better than my jp6,its pretty scary.

is it the fret wear? is a flat fret top smoother to play on than a 'full' fret?

what is it?

Last edited by teokiatuan; 03-05-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Re: what's the difference?

I think it is all in our brains. The longer you have the instrument the more you get comfortable with the sound and feel of the instrument. In the end your brain registers it as familiar and good.

Last edited by Robstar; 03-05-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: wrong Answer LOL!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
I think it is all in our brains. The longer you have the instrument the more you get comfortable with the sound and feel of the instrument. In the end your brain registers it as familiar and good.
interesting theory you have there indeed
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Similar to a nice 'worn-in' pair of shoes. The edges soften, the electronics age a bit, the neck is the biggest thing for me - a well-worn neck is heavenly.

~j
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 AM
j.p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Similar to a nice 'worn-in' pair of shoes. The edges soften, the electronics age a bit, the neck is the biggest thing for me - a well-worn neck is heavenly.

~j
that's right,the neck is that which doing all the job with the good sounding aged guitars.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

i think That a seasoned guitar gets worn, the edges of the fretboard get worn, the trem springs get stretched in a bit, but also, any niggles usually get sorted out. If you're going to play a guitar, you want it to play well, so you give it a proper set up, sort out the truss rod, the action, the intonation and so on. Usually you tweak them over a series of setups until they're just right. That coupled with the neck wear means they tend to play better.

Conversely the best playing guitar I've got "straight out of the box" was my JEM10, which is still better than anything else I've ever tried anywhere... so who knows!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Reviews: 22

I have the same thing going with my Lp studio, At first it was so so with a gunky neck. After playing it for countless hours and sanding the neck finish down (carefully) there has been a noticeable difference in the comfort of the guitar (duh)

I would also subscribe to the theory of familiarity.

Alot of players don't seem to care or really notice this kind of thing (outside of this and other forums)
It's funny because the neck on the rg550 reissue i had was awesome straight from the strore, but my rg760 reck is just sooooo comfortable with very little polish and lightly worn frets, almost like my paul.

I've tried other peoples guitars and found them peerless compared to ones still in the store.
rga 151's and early 70's sg's and such... until the frets are super worn i really dig that ole' shoe feeling.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

i have found the answer.

it is the Elixirs that i have put on, as compared the stock eb strings.
just changed strings and i was shocked.

incredible difference. smoother sliding, legato, picking, BETTER TONE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode