whats the difference between a les paul studio and a les paul standard? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Question whats the difference between a les paul studio and a les paul standard?

any ideas guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:51 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: whats the difference between a les paul studio and a les paul standard?

The standard and the studio have few differences. One is that studios typically don't have a maple top, they are solid mahogany. Standards basically have a few more little details like nicer binding and inlays and a maple top. If I remember correctly there isn't a whole big difference other than that. I'm not a Gibson guy but I do know a little. If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone else will correct me. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:51 PM

A couple hundred bucks (BA-dum-dum)

Seriously, more than anything, it's the noticable lack of body binding on the Studio, as opposed to the Standard.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:38 PM

Binding,different pickups, finishes, neck shape.
I think the studios also have the maple top, I got yelled at on the Gibson boards for suggesting otherwise.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:40 PM

Actually.. BOTH the standard and the studio are mahogany with maple tops. The only difference is the pickups, colors and lack of binding on the studio. The studio was designed as a cleaner, simpler version of the standard. Mind you the tops on the standards tend to have SOME flame, Gibson recently issued the Studio Plus which is essentially the studio with a flame maple top like a standard. It's really your call on which one you prefer, especially if your going to swap out the pickups.

(neck shapes depends on what was ordered, both DID come in both the 50 and the 60 taper, but I'm not too sure if they still do..)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:50 PM

I think from 2002 on all Standards have a AA or AAA flame top, although I was a little disappointed with the top on my 05 Standard, my 03 Classic has a nicer top.

Also the neck shapes if I remember right are '50s or '60s slim taper on a Standard and '59 rounded on the Studio

Last edited by elcid; 02-11-2006 at 12:27 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder
The standard and the studio have few differences. One is that studios typically don't have a maple top, they are solid mahogany. Standards basically have a few more little details like nicer binding and inlays and a maple top. If I remember correctly there isn't a whole big difference other than that. I'm not a Gibson guy but I do know a little. If I'm mistaken I'm sure someone else will correct me. Hope this helps.
In the early 90s there was a time that they were all maple too! And ehavy!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:34 PM

are the studios multiple pieced bodies, while the standard and 1 piece.. and isn't the quality of wood better in the standards. better cuts. like a standard takes the "filet mignon" piece of mahogany and studio takes that "other" piece of mahogany. i may be wrong but i heard there is more attention to the woods chosen as you go up the price range of the gibsons
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 07:44 PM

Outside the custom shop, im gonna guess it all comes from the same pile...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 08:15 PM

If you like the Standard's binding etc but like the pricing of the Studio more () then i'd suggest looking at the Les Paul Classic.

It's sort of inbetween the two in terms of price and i think it has some of the best features from both including binding from the standard.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
Actually.. BOTH the standard and the studio are mahogany with maple tops.
I am not sure if the studios have maple tops or not now. But there was a time where Studios were all mahogany and the Studio Plus or whatever it's called had a maple top. In the early 90s for a time Studios were made of solid maple and they weighed something rediculous like 40 lbs, but back then they were every bit as good as a Standard and a hell of a lot better than either are today.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
If you like the Standard's binding etc but like the pricing of the Studio more () then i'd suggest looking at the Les Paul Classic.

It's sort of inbetween the two in terms of price and i think it has some of the best features from both including binding from the standard.
Classics have loud ceramic magnet pickups though. If you want a metal Les Paul they do the trick very well, but if you want classic Les Paul tones the price of pickups offsets the cost difference between the Standard and the Classic. The Classic does have the slim taper neck however, so it makes sense to do that.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 PM

Les Paul Studios - no binding / mahogany body with maple top - ceramic magnet pickups - polyurethane finish - no figure on maple (unless you go for a studio plus or whatever it is called)

Les Paul Standard - AA Maple Cap on Mahogany body, Burstbucker Alnico pickups (VERY nice indeed, but not high output), Nitrocellulose finish which should age much more gracefully, some nice sunburst finishes

And a couple of hundred bucks, as someone pointed out earlier......
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Studios have 498/490s in them still too don't they? Those aren't bad at all...

Tags
custom shop , flame maple , les paul , les paul classic , les paul standard , les paul studio , mahogany body , neck shape , sunburst finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode