What's the difference between an RG370 and RG370X - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Smile What's the difference between an RG370 and RG370X

Hey, newbie here. I've been playing an RG470 for almost ten years now (my only electric) and now that I'm getting more serious with playing live with my band I figure I should have two axes so I always have a backup (I also want a new guitar anyways).

I unfortunately don't have tonnes to spend on a new guitar so I've been looking at the RG370 models. I'm not worried about the fact that they are Korean made as I've been really happy with my old 470, and the fact that the 370s are running Edge Pro IIs (I think??) seems to be pretty good too.

The only differences I noticed between the 370 and 370dx was the colour choices, the shark-tooth inlays on the DX model, and a bound rosewood fingerboard as opposed to just a rosewood on the standard 370.

What's the difference with the fingerboards, and is this (or if there's any other differences) worth spending around 100 Aussie dollars more than the standard 370?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:37 PM

Re: What's the difference between an RG370 and RG370X

You are correct in your understanding.

the 370 and 370 dx share:

the same neck shape
the same pickups
the same woods
the same trem system (whammy bar setup)

the differences are the cosmetic ones you noted.
whether or not those are worth spending a hundred bucks on is up to you. Many people might like those features enough so that the money would be worth it. Also many people don't like those inlays (feel that they are tacky) and so they might rather have the more understated version (I've heard this response a few times).

fundamentally they are the same guitar with a few cosmetic differences.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

That's what I thought. Still don't understand the difference between rosewood fingerboard and bound rosewood fingerboard. Is this a manufacturing process, or a missing word on a website???
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG370DX
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG370

I was wanting another black rg and I like the sharktooth inlays, but the colour of the standard RG370 is growing on me.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 11:05 PM

The bound fretboard has a white strip of binding surrounding its perimeter.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Sothat's it then? OK, even though I like the shark tooth inlays and would like the black or blue, I think I'll go for the standard RG370. The moon shadow colour's growing on me anyway. Thanks heaps for the help. :-)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I'll just check as well, anyone using the RG370? I understand it's probably best to replace the pickups (I'm planning to do that on both my gutiars), but playing wise how is it? It's good to hear the Korean made guitars are getting better and better (I'm happy with my 470 from 1995). I'm looking at EMG pickups to replace the current ones on both. Probably an 81 in the bridge, and something a bit warmer and bluesier for the neck position. I'm thinking DiMarzios too at this stage but not sure which ones would be best.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:50 PM

It's all about what you want to sound like.....if you can describe for us what you want to change about your current guitar regarding sound and where you want to go with it maybe we can offer some suggestions
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm prety happy with my 470, pickups could be a little better (especially the single coil - so noisy). My 470 is still running the INF pickups, and the bridge humbucker is pretty good, real edgy tone that sounds great with distortion. The neck one is real thick and warm, and sounds great clean, but neither work well if you change it around.

I'd love the bridge pickup to also give a fatter sound when clean (then I wouldn't need to run so much bass on my distortion pedal). And I wouldn't have to switch pickups if I were changing sounds while playing - too unco-ordinated for that! And I'd just like to have a single coil that wasn't noisy, then I might use it.

Basically the music I write for my band is I guess punk, along the lines of NOFX, Strung Out, Millencolin, Pennywise, etc. But it's not restricted to this, I also like to throw in some metal/shredding and blues moments. Not too much soloing as the band is a three piece and I like to stick mostly to melodies more than outright soloing for an instrunmental break.

The most important thing is I want a versatile guitar where If I want to jam some blues I can get a great overdriven blues tone, if I want to jam heavier stuff like industrial, metal, etc I can, and still have my tones that work great for my band's music.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , distortion pedal , inf pickups , neck position , neck shape , rosewood fingerboard , shark tooth inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode