What's the difference between RGs? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

What's the difference between RGs?

I really like the RG shape, neck and feel. My question is: is it worth it to buy a higher model over something like a 370? As far as I can see, the only difference is the pickups, which I will probably be changing anyway.

I think I'll probably go for an RG370 since I like the Jewel Blue color, but I thought I'd ask just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 07:09 PM

Reviews: 3
the higher ones get better progressively increasing the quality of the bridges, necks, probably choice of body woods, pickups, frets, inlays etc etc etc
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 07:10 PM

The main thing is that although all models are of the same shape and generally same feel, the quality can differ a great deal. Some low end korean models (Aything under a RG 5xx) are made from cheaper parts to japanese models ( Anything over RG 5xx), obvious theres other expection but that is a general rule that seperates the korean and japanese versions.

So in awnser to your question, apart from pickups then the most drastic thing will be the woods used, also depending on models the bridge, it is usually the case that the higher end models have better trems on them.

Saying that though, some of the cheaper RG 470 type models can be had for great prices second hand, or even new.And with a pickup change they still do very much the same a high end guitar will
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 07:30 PM

Also the differences across the models from different continents. Some of the over seas(None US) 4xx models have the same type of hardware as the one's destined for the US.

Models below 1xx are made of cheap material bodywise. And for US models, anything under 5xx have inferior hardware. 5xx and above have the best of everything except for custom electronics/graphics.

YOu need to click on the big swirled banner at top of this page, and read through the specs in the Ibanez Catalogues.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 01:08 AM
Banned

I thought anything under a 5xx had the lo-TRS trem. I've played a TRS trem on a RG42 at work, and I must say the trem feels so.... flimsy. It's a well built guitar and the pick ups sound a little sterile but other then that, Kick ass guitar.It's nice, and I've played some other nice RG's not in the 5xx series, but I think my '88 RG kills them with out a shadow of a doubt. The neck is just amazing on it. It's ridiculously comfy . The Evo's I've put in really help it.
Even more so then then the difference in RG's I'm curious as to the difference in Jem 555's and RG 5xx series guitars, besides the Breed P-ups.
Nick

Tags
ibanez catalog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode