whats this part called? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Red face whats this part called?

sorry if this is in the wrong place.
long story short i have an ibanez rg350 with an edge 3. the guitar has been missing a high e string for a while. and somewhere along the line i lost the little bit that actually hold the string in place so i need to order a new one.
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7647/esdf.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: whats this part called?

I believe its tech name is a String Block, you should be able to find them above at IbanezRules.com, Rich is the owner, if you ave any questions, just email him.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 AM

from what i've read about the edge 3... might as well swap it out with something more reliable
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanK View Post
from what i've read about the edge 3... might as well swap it out with something more reliable
Yeah--replace the whole trem. An Edge Pro and a Gotoh are drop in replacements. Anything else will require a little routing.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Edge Pro - $270 new.
Gotoh FR - ≈$200 new.
String lock - $4 new.
You guys are right, he's better off replacing the entire trem. LOL. An RG350 costs about $400 new, you're suggesting he replace the trem with a trem that costs over half as much as the entire guitar rather than replace a $4 part.

My kid's RG350 has an Edge III. It's not a LoPro by any means, but it's NOT junk. It's a far better trem than a lot of the other Floyd copies. The thing I hate about it is the way they made the trem bar have a set screw to hold it in place. Dumb. But functionally, it's decent and definitely workable - stays in tune, returns to tune, etc. I'd only replace it if I just had a spare laying around, I wouldn't run out to buy a replacement.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:32 AM

The Gotoh runs about $150 if you buy it from the right place.

I agree however, that if it isn't giving you any major issues there is no use sinking that kind of money into it when you can replace the block dirt cheap.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM

I just got a used Edge for 95 US$ off eBay, in perfect condition. Gonna use it on my RG 350 MYE and will get rid of that crappy Edge III.
I think the Edge fits on the RG 350 as well, without routing. If not, I'm busted and will get a Pro.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM

I used the edge off my 550 to see if it fit into the cavity Because i wanted to throw an original edge into my 350 as well and it kinda did but if you want to have your intunation set properly you need to route it because the route on the 550 is about 3mm larger than the 350's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode