whats the point of this........ - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

whats the point of this........

whats the point of having a Fixed edge bridge? a double locking fixed bridge guitar is just pointless. Re-stringing a trem sucks as is let alone doing it on a guitar that you can't crank on the trem arm afterwards.

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=mtm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 AM

Re: whats the point of this........

umm, its for someone who wants the stability of a locking system without the hassle of a tremolo.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 AM

yeah though i have to agree with him. locking tuners, a good nut and a good bridge beats it anyday for me.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:15 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
yeah though i have to agree with him. locking tuners, a good nut and a good bridge beats it anyday for me.
Very true, but it's also a lot cheaper for Ibanez to make a bunch of guitars with locking nuts and a bridge that will fine tune than shell out money to outsource locking tuners. Since they make the hardware, it's so much cheaper for them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
I have this set-up in my Schecter 7 string, and my Edge guitars hold tuning for way longer.

It's also a feel thing, the FX-Edge feels better on your palm than a tune-o-matic, or a cheap strat-style hardtail(if you get like string saver saddles with the height screws flush the strat-style feels damn good though. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone View Post
Very true, but it's also a lot cheaper for Ibanez to make a bunch of guitars with locking nuts and a bridge that will fine tune than shell out money to outsource locking tuners. Since they make the hardware, it's so much cheaper for them.
Ibanez doesn't make their own hardware, they outsourse to Gotoh for most of it, including the Edge trems.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 AM

i doubt you will ever get a more stable setup with anything compared to the FX bridge.

I love the way it looks, and I fine tuners are awesome.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
It's also a feel thing, the FX-Edge feels better on your palm than a tune-o-matic, or a cheap strat-style hardtail
This is the reason I like the Edge FX so much, it has probably the most ergonomic feel of any fixed bridge available. Couple that with the tuning stability you get from a double locking bridge and then try to convince me that a different fixed bridge is a better alternative!

The other thing is that if I was Mick Thomson, I wouldn't care if it takes ages to restring, because that's what my guitar tech is for! (OK I don't mean that Mick doesn't care about his guitar tech, but that's the guys job if you get my meaning )
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone View Post
It's not really up to them. It reflects what Mich Thompson plays.

IF he had wanted a hardtail and some locking tuners, than they would be on here. I don't think it would cost more. At my local store, a set of six locking schaller tuners for 60 $ CAD. A regular bridge would be tons cheaper than the edge fixed, and a bone nut for instance would not be too pricey. The edge kits sell for around 250$ depending who and where you buy. So i think the other idea was a cheaper alternative and would prolly be tons cheaper because ibanez would have their parts made from gotoh and just slap the IBZ logo on em.

Last edited by jono; 11-19-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: inflamatory and unsubstantiated comments
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

i personally think a string through body bridge with locking tuners would be just as stable. Fine tuners are great and all but higher end tuners have a much higher turn ratio. Like even LSR's are 40:1
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 AM

Reviews: 18

I can see it being a PITA to string all the time but I have to agree with everyone else about the stability factor. I've got a Strat Plus with locking tuners, an lsr nut and a tremsetter (all of which came stock) and the guitar keeps tune but it will lose some every now and then (just the nature of the beast). I've never heard Mick Thompson's playing but I'm sure he can afford a tech to string all his guitars.

Jimmy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:17 AM

Reviews: 21

There is a tonal quality that often goes overlooked on a floating bridge. Some folks, like me, prefer the "sound" of a Floyd even if they don't use it much; kind of like how folks put hair pulls on the first fret. I don't use the floating bridge much, maybe to slide into and our of notes on occassion. I'm just used to how a guitar sounds with a big piece of metal in the back.
Feel is another thing. I'm used to how a guitar feels "balanced" with a big piece of metal in the back.
When I feel like having notes that ring out AND a lighter guitar, I'll switch to the fixed bridge RG.

Tags
edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , guitar tech , locking bridge , locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , mick thompson , schaller tuners , strat plus , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in