What's a reasnable price for a RG550? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

What's a reasnable price for a RG550?

I came across a RG550 in a guitar shop today for $300 w/ hardshell case. I would describe it as good condition with a few dings and scratches although it is badly in need of a new set of strings. I noticed it does have an Edge Pro trem that is in very god shape. Does this seem like a reasonable price?

I know that these guitars are generally held in high regard but is there anything I need to watch out for with this model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:23 PM

Check for cracks around the bolts that attach the lock-nut. Otherwise, they are good. That's a pretty good price. Post pics if you buy it!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Pinto79, I owe you one! There was a crack in between the lock nut bolts. I figure you just saved me a lot of headache.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 05:06 PM

I just got this one off ebay. it was around $300 after shipping.

It's got one fairly major ding on the back in the arch (around and inch). Doesn't go thru to the paint. It does have the traditional stress cracks at the neck joint.

The fretboard cleaned up okay, but has some slight indentations on the surface - probably would come out with sanding. The trem and hardware are in good condition. It came with a gig bag and I bought the purple strap and three springs. The foil under the pickguard is deteriorating a little too, which is probably an inherant problem with this type of pickguard.

I set it up and it plays just about as well as my Jem, other than new-spring stiffness... $300 isn't a bad deal for a 550 with a hard case as long as it's on ok condition.i

~K
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallartist
Pinto79, I owe you one! There was a crack in between the lock nut bolts. I figure you just saved me a lot of headache.
How bad is the crack?

These guitars sometimes will have a stress fracture there from overtightening, but as long as it's not deep, or just on the surface, you can use pressure to force some wood-glue into the crack and it's pretty much as good as new.

My 14 year old 550 has a small stress crack between the bolts but it seems to have no effect at all. If/when I start feeling the crack, or have tuning problems I'll fix it, but at the moment there's no problem at all.

I wouldn't dismiss the guitar just yet, maybe point it out to the salesman and get a lower price, but I'd tune up the guitar and beat the hell out of the trem, if it stays in tune I'd take the chance on it.

A friend had an old Gibson SG and the headstock broke completely off, we glued it, clamped it, let it sit and when we strung it up it was as if it was never damaged at all.

Most things can be fixed, small cracks ar usually no big deal though. Just so long as the wood isn't shifting or actually coming apart.

Mic

Tags
edge pro trem , guitar shop , lock nut , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode