What's the story with this new RG6002? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

What's the story with this new RG6002?

It's intriguing because the body wood is mahogany and it's got decent mass to it unlike the other flimsy-feeling mahogany models RG421 and RG321 from a couple years ago. But the Ibanez site does not even mention this RG6002 and I haven't found any reviews online about it yet. The only info is the same retailers' specs and description on MF, GC, etc. Why the odd 4 digit model number too? And what was the predecessor - the RG6001- if there even was one?

I played one about a week ago and it had a nice full sound for open chords surprisingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: What's the story with this new RG6002?

I saw this in the Guitar Center catalog recently. Looks like an RG350DX only with an HH configuration minus the middle single coil. I think the RG6001 is white and the RG6002 is black - or vice versa.
One thing that was surprising is there's more of a bend to the whammy bar and the bridge looks more like an Original Floyd Rose. I suspect a return of the Lo TRS2, perhaps in light of the recent issues Ibanez has had with Edge Zero 2.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:50 PM
BYN

I stumbled across this recently at Guitar center. I was thinking the same things you said about it being similar to 350 series. Since that's basically what it looks like. But I'm thinking this is a cheaply made product you will probably only see around christmas time.

Given the fact it's not even advertised on their website. I think its maybe something GC or retailers order specifically for the holiday season. Because "gift givers" are more price conscious and usually looking for something cheap. They were selling these things with in instant rebate for 289.99 or something like that at the GC I went to. But online they're 349.99.

I didn't play it because I was just looking. But after picking it up and looking at more closely I didn't feel like I would be getting a great quality instrument for that price. I've noticed in general GC seems to have moved away from stocking Ibanez guitars as it is. I see more cheap 100 to 250 squiers and other random cheaply made guitars in abundance there lately.

So that's my thought on it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 06:19 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I saw this in the Guitar Center catalog recently. Looks like an RG350DX only with an HH configuration minus the middle single coil. I think the RG6001 is white and the RG6002 is black - or vice versa.
One thing that was surprising is there's more of a bend to the whammy bar and the bridge looks more like an Original Floyd Rose. I suspect a return of the Lo TRS2, perhaps in light of the recent issues Ibanez has had with Edge Zero 2.
What issues does Ibanez have with the EZII?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
What issues does Ibanez have with the EZII?
Yeah, this. The lawsuit was over the zps, not the ez2. Haven't heard of any issues with the ez2.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Reviews: 21

I saw a closeup of one the other day and it looks like a LoTRS2.
Yeah, it was the zpz they had issues with but maybe they figure it's cheaper to go with other trems rather than a zpz-less EZ2? Just guessing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:08 AM

I just picked up an RG6003FM from Guitar Center on sale for $250 (regular price is $350. I also got an additional 10% off due to a trade in, so $225 before tax). I couldn't pass it up at that price. The pickups are decent for metal. The action on mine is pretty low with minimal buzz. I'm pretty happy to pick it up
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 PM

I played a RG6003FM at guitar center last week, I was rather impressed with how it felt for being so cheap. Didn't feel as good as a MIJ RG, but it still felt better then the ESP LTDs in the same price range, and the cheap Jacksons. They definitely have a pretty color to them, with the flamed blue, black, and natural.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 AM
TLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler96 View Post
I played a RG6003FM at guitar center last week, I was rather impressed with how it felt for being so cheap. Didn't feel as good as a MIJ RG, but it still felt better then the ESP LTDs in the same price range, and the cheap Jacksons. They definitely have a pretty color to them, with the flamed blue, black, and natural.
Played one as well. Agreed it played and looked pretty nice for the price. I do think it is a GC special.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode