What's under the paint - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

What's under the paint

Hey, is the RG1527CB&RB solid Basswood under that paint? It seems like someone stripped the paint off of one,,,but I'm not sure. I seen on another thread where someone stripped their finish and there was Veneer under the paint,,,which seems like sort of a waste unless I was looking at the picture wrong and it was a transparent paint. Anyway....

~A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:46 AM

Re: What's under the paint

wood?
thats probably my best guess. butim a douche
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 03:53 AM

Allen, In my experiance, 3 piece bodies have a layer of veneer ( i assume for a uniform finish) 2 piece normally dont

Rob
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey Rob, wasn't that you that stripped the 1527?

~A
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:28 AM

Nope Bro, Stripped about 6 7620's but no Newer 7's i genuinely believe they slip a thin veneer on to cover the inconsistances of the 3/4 or more piece bodies (i.e. Flat Top)

In fact, Apart from a UV PWH that i stripped for my Uncle (dont ask(1)), i have'nt really done much to 7's

Rob

(1) If you must - It was re-finished in Chromaflair Orange
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:30 PM

I read somewhere (can't find it right now) that the reason Ibanez uses the veneer on some basswood bodies with paint finishes is because of the way the finish sinks down into the open grain of the soft basswood. The claim was that the grain would always shows through without the veneer.

I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense though. They don't veneer the sides and back (and they finish OK). They don't veneer something like a JS body, and there's nothing wrong with that finish. Must be a function of the particular process used.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
In fact, Apart from a UV PWH that i stripped for my Uncle (dont ask(1)), i have'nt really done much to 7's

(1) If you must - It was re-finished in Chromaflair Orange
Ack! I'll be having nightmares for weeks now!

*runs sobbing from room*

-D
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
I read somewhere (can't find it right now) that the reason Ibanez uses the veneer on some basswood bodies with paint finishes is because of the way the finish sinks down into the open grain of the soft basswood. The claim was that the grain would always shows through without the veneer.

I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense though. They don't veneer the sides and back (and they finish OK). They don't veneer something like a JS body, and there's nothing wrong with that finish. Must be a function of the particular process used.
that can't be right. they use a basswood veneer on the 7VWH over the alder to supposedly stop the alder soaking up the finish, so presumably basswood is not prone to this.

anyone?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:49 PM

Humm. That would make more sense. Maybe alder is the problem.

However, if the top of the 7vwh is veneered for this reason, what about the finish on the sides and back? No veneer and the finish is OK there, right? I don't see why a decent job with the grain filler before painting wouldn't take care of the problem -- especially with a solid finish. Maybe it's just a faster process.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 09:43 PM

I've stripped a 7620. No veneer but gobs of sealer and thick thick paint, pull up your pants for this one, you gotta cowboy up or at least get some serious chemicals cooking...translation is that it is a messy sucky job. Sealer is cheaper than labor when trying to get something flat so the paint and clear look flawless, that's my opinion on why they load up on it. Also, there's no telling how many pieces your body is made of, mine was 3, but I've seen up to four separate pieces used.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 PM

It's not just how the body wood absorbs finish at the factory, it's also (like JemRBK eluded to) done so the guitar ages better. So the different pieces of wood don't telegraph through over time, as they each expand and contract differently. There's no need for it on the sides or in the contours because it's really just to help the flat parts stay flat. You won't really notice anything like that on the sides. As for absorbtion, if it saves them 40% the sealer soaking into the top and back, that adds up quickly. But then there's the expense of the veneer and lamination process, so I really don't understand the practice at all, but I know it exists.

Now I have no idea what guitars would have it or not. I'd say it's more scarce. And it can't just follow the "multiple piece body" theory because that would make those guitars slightly thicker. Which isn't a big deal, there's 1/8" paint on there anyway, but I'd think that extra veneer would mess with the CNC program dimensions. So I'd expect it to be something done on a "per model" basis, rather than mixed in. Or at least a "per production run" basis.

All you can do is strip away and see what treasures are hidden underneath that stuff.

Tags
basswood bodies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode