Whats up with Gibson? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Re: Whats up with Gibson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputersa View Post
Do they suck??
I never said that Gibson sucks, I am ASKING if they suck.

Do they suck??
Worse than any other guitar company yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 PM

I recently bought a Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer. #382 of 400 made. its an amazing axe and being an explorer guy, I am in love BUT. after a day or 2 I noticed that the binding around the inner part of the lower horn was not flush with the body, there was a tiny ridge where the body and binding met in that area. Its like they routed it a bit deep in that area or something. I contacted Gibson about this mainly as a concern that something like this should have been noticed before the axe left the plant. I have MIC guitars with perfect binding that cost 1/4th what I paid for the Gibby. plus, I don't know if you guys know this but gibson puts "nibs" in the necks now which means the binding comes up and meets the fret at the edge of the neck. It doesn't effect the way the guitar plays but its still kinda weird and seems like it was done to cut corners. These nibs are also on the new 2012 LPs.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I recently bought a Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer. #382 of 400 made. its an amazing axe and being an explorer guy, I am in love BUT. after a day or 2 I noticed that the binding around the inner part of the lower horn was not flush with the body, there was a tiny ridge where the body and binding met in that area. Its like they routed it a bit deep in that area or something. I contacted Gibson about this mainly as a concern that something like this should have been noticed before the axe left the plant. I have MIC guitars with perfect binding that cost 1/4th what I paid for the Gibby. plus, I don't know if you guys know this but gibson puts "nibs" in the necks now which means the binding comes up and meets the fret at the edge of the neck. It doesn't effect the way the guitar plays but its still kinda weird and seems like it was done to cut corners. These nibs are also on the new 2012 LPs.
The nibbed binding has been done for decades on gibsons, its a standard feature.

Like this, right? http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/i...inding-nub.jpg
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Worse than any other guitar company yes.
Some Gibsons suck and I don't buy them. Some are great guitars and I buy those ones that I can afford.

Peace

Mike
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The nibbed binding has been done for decades on gibsons, its a standard feature.

Like this, right? http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/i...inding-nub.jpg
yes!
i can't believe I've never seem them until now. I have another explorer and it doesn't have nibs. played lots of LPs and don't remember ever seeing them??
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 AM

If they didnt work al;so think about those Unexperienced guys and drunk teen running in their messing with all the guitars slamming jacks into the inputs etc, It could have been loose wiring from the cords being input and vise versa by these kinds of individuals, not just the staff at GC
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:32 AM

Reviews: 39

As a GC employee I can say we take in an inventory of roughly 100+ guitars a week (that come in one day-truck day) and when you are dealing with over 300-500 customers a day, whether they are serious buyers or just in browsing, there is no time whatsoever to do any kind of setups on guitars. There is barely time to tune them inbetween helping people. I know Nashville gets truck days 3-4 days a week, so I can only imagine how many new guitars their floor sees. Working at a smaller shop, I had plenty of down-time to noodle around and find sweetspots on all the guitars and do perfect setups on everything. There is a big difference when you have over 300 guitars on a wall and when you have 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
I once drove a BMW, the seat was too close to the steering wheel, and I couldn't see anything else than the side of the car in the side mirrors. BMW must make really bad cars.
This. Pidgeonholing Gibson as a bad guitar company like saying that all Ibanezes can't stay in tune because you played one at Guitar Center that had an Edge III and the locking tuners weren't tightened. You wouldn't not believe how many people make this complaint weekly.

If you want an immaculately perfect out of the box guitar, buy a high end PRS. They have unorthodoxly high quality control.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
As a GC employee I can say we take in an inventory of roughly 100+ guitars a week (that come in one day-truck day) and when you are dealing with over 300-500 customers a day, whether they are serious buyers or just in browsing, there is no time whatsoever to do any kind of setups on guitars. There is barely time to tune them inbetween helping people. I know Nashville gets truck days 3-4 days a week, so I can only imagine how many new guitars their floor sees. Working at a smaller shop, I had plenty of down-time to noodle around and find sweetspots on all the guitars and do perfect setups on everything. There is a big difference when you have over 300 guitars on a wall and when you have 20.

This. Pidgeonholing Gibson as a bad guitar company like saying that all Ibanezes can't stay in tune because you played one at Guitar Center that had an Edge III and the locking tuners weren't tightened. You wouldn't not believe how many people make this complaint weekly.

If you want an immaculately perfect out of the box guitar, buy a high end PRS. They have unorthodoxly high quality control.
If I'm paying the gigantic premiums Gibson charge for their instruments, as a consumer I don't care about the logistics of the shop or the manufacturer. I expect to get what I pay for, and that means at the minimum, a CONSISTENT product, of GOOD quality.

Many Gibsons are not that in the slightest, not even close.

Also, I'm aware of lots of people who've returned Gibsons that simply didn't work, from having the electronics installed unprofessionally and the bridge pickup not working, to having frets in the wrong locations and being impossible to intonate, to binding coming off the fretboard completely. Some of these guitars were limited run instruments and one gentleman went through no less than FOUR white explorers before he got one that was all correct.

For a company that has a Plek machine, I'd expect much, much better than this. Especially since I've played a number of their Plek'd guitars and they've been worse setup than 500 Ibbys and Schecters on a number of occasions. Regardless of what excuses Gibson might want to have people make for them, thats not acceptable in a buyers market, and its correct that people are pulling them up on it, for the good of us as consumers.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 AM

I'm so glad I have two Ernie Ball guitars. They literally blow Gibson off
the map as well as almost everything else out these days. QC is paramount
for the prices some of these companies charge for their instruments.
Doesn't matter who is selling them in my opinion.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:41 AM

One day I bought a Gibson that was possessed by the spirits of a serial killer who died in a shoot out with the police in Gibson's factory. The guitar wouldn't stay in tune, the headstock snapped off while the guitar was sitting in the stand, and the guitar was too heavy. Also at night it would come to life and try to kill my family.

Meanwhile my friend's Epiphone was never haunted, you'd think at Gibson's price point they would do exorcisms on all the guitars at the factory
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 04:57 PM

I've been researching a Gibson Budokan Ace Frehley model recently and have seen a ton of customer complaints stemming from Gibson's QC issues. I'm seriously rethinking my decision of buying one.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
One day I bought a Gibson that was possessed by the spirits of a serial killer who died in a shoot out with the police in Gibson's factory. The guitar wouldn't stay in tune, the headstock snapped off while the guitar was sitting in the stand, and the guitar was too heavy. Also at night it would come to life and try to kill my family.

Meanwhile my friend's Epiphone was never haunted, you'd think at Gibson's price point they would do exorcisms on all the guitars at the factory
Sorry, I don't like Gibson's but this is the best post I've read on Jemsite in months!
LMAO!
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post

Once again this is one of them post where i wish jemsite had signatures
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Word is that Harry runs the place like a prison. Employees walk on eggshells worried about getting fired for no reason.My guess, every now and then a pissed off employee sticks it to the man by jacking a guitar up.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Binding nibs have been around forever and are a high end feature.

The current Gibson still sucks, I have a couple 60's era ones that are great though.

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode