Whats up with Gibson? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Talking Whats up with Gibson?

I just watched a 35 minute video on how Les Pauls are made. It appears they are very careful with quality control, and there is alot of work done by hand. I would expect a gorgeous decently set up guitar. AH But!! I went to Guitar Center last week and I wanted to try an amp out in the "expensive room" so I grabbed a Les Paul. The input jack was jacked. Put it back and pulled another, that one didn't work either. I finally pulled an SG. That one worked but it felt so bad that I didn't even want to play it. Whats up with this??? Is there QC so bad? These were standards and a studio too. The SG was standard too. I am currently in the proccess of buying a 20 year old Les Paul copy supposedly hand built by a guy in Dallas named Hoyt. I am willing to bet that it is FAR better quality at $250 then a Les Paul standard at over $1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Re: Whats up with Gibson?

I dont know about Gibson but Epiphone has their stuff together. Just bought an Epiphone Standard Pro Plustop and it is incredibly well made for $500.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 3

It sounds like Guitar Center idiots.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Having spent several years working in a retail store that probably isn't much different from Guitar Center (and knowing that the pay probably isn't fantastic), I wouldn't doubt that the guitars that make it to the floor there don't get as much attention to setup and inspection as we would like as discerning players. I have picked up lots of nice, brand new Strats, LP's, PRS's and whatnot and some of them just play awful (at mine they seem to lean towards very light strings and very low action that usually buzzes a little). I won't blame the workers too much myself, but on the other end of the counter (our end as the customers) I haven't bought any guitars from mine yet probably partially due to how they are setup. There are probably some great guitars there that I would love, but it's hard to tell if they are keepers or not when the setup is goofy :P
I'm just thinking that the customer experience in this case might be about on par with what the company is willing to pay their employees. I'd contact the corporate people, but then I'd feel bad that they would come down on the little guys
Your experience would disappoint me equally
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM

I once drove a BMW, the seat was too close to the steering wheel, and I couldn't see anything else than the side of the car in the side mirrors. BMW must make really bad cars.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Whats up with Gibson?

Not a BMW fanboy, so they prolly are crappy. My point was that 2 of the $1000 Les Pauls I picked up DIDN'T WORK AT ALL. I don't know if that was Gibsons fault or Guitar Centers but the setup was so bad as to make them un-playable anyway. If I owned/ran a guitar company they would at the minimum be playable before they left the factory. Cars are drivable even if you don't set the seats and mirrors.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM

"That one worked but it felt so bad that I didn't even want to play it."

Push back the seat and adjust the mirrors.

If you knew why the two guitars didn't work, that would help in order to know if the store or the factory should be held responsible. You did notify the staff, right? So those guitars can be fixed or replaced?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Reviews: 2

I went to a guitar store six hours from home to check out a 3120 this spring........it was very close to where I had to travel anyway, so I made the trip to the store. Anyway, the people working there were ranting about how the guitar was just traded in from a well known player in town, and he was an Ibanez guy.......and this was his guitar....blah, blah, blah. Finally, they let me hold it. The body was pretty nicked, the frets had quite a bit of wear, the bridge as at a 45 degree angle to the body, and the strings were like a quarter inch off the fretboard. And they kept telling me,,,,,,plug it in, try it out, it is set up, ready to go,,,,just in from this local famous dude. To top it off, any questions I had,,,,like what pickups are in it now, etc..........they kept surfing the internet to try and answer the questions. Needless to say, I left without the guitar.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
It sounds like Guitar Center idiots.
This is probably the only reasonably explanation, they would try to set it up or knock it around or somthing.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM

Any guitar can break; if it happened to me I wouldn't say "Gibson sucks," I'd say "wow, two broken Gibsons in this store."

Now I will say that my first Gibson (LP Studio) had tool marks on the fretboard. Didn't affect playability at all but you could see it. I have also seen poor binding installation, a slight indentation or valley at the edge of the binding. Couldn't see it, but it could be felt under the fingertips. (LP Classic Custom) Some of these things I can overlook if the guitar sounds great, other things I just can't get past.

Peace

Rex
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 PM

I haven't seen many reviews of Gibsons in the past few years, that haven't been peppered with the reviewer making excuses for Gibson. I saw one guy excusing a pretty weird finish issue under the clear, as if that "just happens"?
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I haven't seen many reviews of Gibsons in the past few years, that haven't been peppered with the reviewer making excuses for Gibson. I saw one guy excusing a pretty weird finish issue under the clear, as if that "just happens"?
Eh. That's not unique. We get some of that in here too.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I agree and I don't even know if I myself have done it. I owned a 2006 Ibanez ARC100, an LP-style guitar made in China and sold for $300. My Gibson Studio blew it away in terms of sound and playability. But the Gibson had a couple of things "wrong" with it that the Ibanez got completely right. We're talking small cosmetic stuff. I'd rather have a great-sounding guitar, but that little scrape on the fretboard just makes me shake my head.

Peace

Mike
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Whats up with Gibson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputersa View Post
I just watched a 35 minute video on how Les Pauls are made. It appears they are very careful with quality control, and there is alot of work done by hand. I would expect a gorgeous decently set up guitar. AH But!! I went to Guitar Center last week and I wanted to try an amp out in the "expensive room" so I grabbed a Les Paul. The input jack was jacked. Put it back and pulled another, that one didn't work either. I finally pulled an SG. That one worked but it felt so bad that I didn't even want to play it. Whats up with this??? Is there QC so bad? These were standards and a studio too. The SG was standard too. I am currently in the proccess of buying a 20 year old Les Paul copy supposedly hand built by a guy in Dallas named Hoyt. I am willing to bet that it is FAR better quality at $250 then a Les Paul standard at over $1000
Do they suck??
I never said that Gibson sucks, I am ASKING if they suck.

Do they suck??
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 PM

guitar center doesn't exactly take great care of their stuff, but i have played enough gibsons to know they are hit or miss. I can go to Nashville and pick out 5 gibsons of any line and know that at least one is going to play/feel terrible, and or have terrible workmanship ie... finish, fret issues, overall playablilty issues. i do think they have poor quality control because of the inconsistency between guitars.

i have played customs, the standards to the studios and limited editions and there are some good and some horrible. One of the worst was a BFG. The neck felt like it had an uneven profile the finish was terrible especially around the exposed directed mounted neck pickup and the frets were jagged on the ends.

A couple of the best gibsons i have played were the Alex sig model, one standard and believe it or not a couple of worn finish models.

I think gibson is struggling to nail down their market. They are trying to make cheaper guitars, but they havn't found a good way to keep costs down in production. so they skimp on the human interaction with the instrument with less time and attention paid to the finer finishing details.

either way i know i can pick up just about any ibanez, ltd or schecter and know that i am not going to find much wrong even on the cheapest imports. the ltd 50 series is impressive for the quality to price ratio and they are always consistent .

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode