What's a USRG30 worth nowadays? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
What's a USRG30 worth nowadays?

I've been out of the music game for the last three years. I picked up a nice USRG30 in '99 or so for $750. Since then, I've seen them drop in price, but now they seem to be going for close to $1k on evilbay pretty consistantly. Is there any demand for these things anymore? I suppose I could spend the hours digging around, but I figured I'd ask you folks here.

The local market is pretty dry on Ibanez stuff, and pretty guitars in specific, so the prices tend to be a bit higher where I live. I suppose that whatever they go for on the 'net, I could do a bit better locally. I picked up an S540 in '97 that was used and showed it for $350. I traded it to a local shop for $600 worth of gear and they sold it for $700 in less than five days, so I guess the flame maple caught someone's eye (I'm still kicking myself for letting that wonderful guitar slip).

Anyhow, I need money, and I hardly ever touch the '30, and so it will be the first to go. Any idea on what I should ask for it? I'll probably feel stupid for selling it later, but rent and car insurance payments are eating me up. Thanks for reading, and all replies are most welcome.

*Edit- Forgot to mention: The stock dot inlays have been replaced with mother of pearl. I had David Nichols do it for me. He does custom inlay for Martin Guitars if any of you have heard of him. Don't know how that will affect the value, but it sure looks nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:37 AM

Re: What's a USRG30 worth nowadays?

There is one on that auction site at $999, but it hasn't had any bids. I think the best thing you could do is list it at a very low price and let the market deicde it's value. Another good thing is to ship worldwide, the pound is doing well against the dollar, so, your bound to get a lot more for it if you were shipping to the UK.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 08:47 AM

My opinion is that it depends on what color it is. BT's and TP's are common, but it seems to me that the Blue and green ones are few and far between.

In good condition, I'd pay $1000 for a blue or green one, but only $800 for a butterscotch or trans purple.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:16 AM

A TP sold yesterday for $1000. Last week, a BT went for $840. In May, the price of a TP varied from $550 to $950. Also in May, a TR went for $626, which I thought was on the cheap side. I figure, personally, that around $700 is a fair price for a USRG30, if it's nice (mint with no fade = higher). The rarer colors may be worth a bit more depending on personal preference. However, the market has been supporting higher prices lately, so it just depends on who else wants the same thing you do at that given time.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:20 AM

I should mention that while a lot of USRG's have LISTED for around $1000, very few of them have actually sold. I was VERY surprised at the TP yesterday that brought $1000. It was nice, but not as perfect as I would have expected to bring that kind of money.

It's OK with me if the price on these go up - it just means that mine's worth that much more now. Now I can tell my wife, "SEE? It really WAS a good investment!!"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 06:28 PM

I'd love to find a USRG10 at a decent price...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:18 AM

If I was not buying a house right now, I'd get yours. If you're willing to wait for a couple of months, PM me please.

Thank you,
Alex
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 10:14 AM

I remember one time I walked into my old local music shop in the Berkshires, and found a RG30 in trans purple hanging in the used section. The thing sounded great, played excellently, and while it wasn't mint (top'd faded a little, and the hardware showed a bit of wear), it was in good "player" shape and with a little tweaking to account for my personal setup taste, would have been a hell of a guitar. They wanted $400.

Thing was, I'd never even heard of the series at the time, and the brass bit between the neck and headstock and the little hole on the side of the neck looked very much like a (well done) repair job of a broken headstock, so I passed. Two weeks later, I stumbled upon the link on this site. An alder bodied RG with a thick quilted top... Damn, no wonder it sounded so good to me. I've been kicking myself ever since, lol.

Ibanez isn't that high profile in western mass - we've got a bunch of vintage minded fender and gibson guys out there, and not much else. I'm hoping one day it resurfaces when I happen to be home.

-D
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 11:03 AM

I'd love to get one of these.
Always liked the USRG's with the PBC necks.

If one appears for the right price i may have to grab it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 11:32 AM

As would I - it's just a COOL 6-string.

Tags
alder bodied , dot inlay , dot inlays , flame maple , local music shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode