When did Ibanez start selling Prestige guitars with the J-Custom case? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

When did Ibanez start selling Prestige guitars with the J-Custom case?

Okay guys, before anyone 'yells' at me to try the forum search, I already did and I either suck at searching, or it's just not there.

When did Ibanez start selling Prestige guitars with the J-Custom case?
Or with any case at all, for that matter?

Jeff and I saw '04 2550 in sparkly black (I know, Galaxy Black) in a store recently that deals in used instruments. (He has a counter full of bongs and other 'recreational' items, but I won't get into that)
We asked him about it, and it seems a bit overpriced to me, but said that it came with no case. Just wondering; should it have a Prestige case or did they not include the case back then?
Guitar is in great shape, barely any wear and only a couple of light scratches and a ding or two. Jeff said it played nicely, even with the corroded strings (he has 'ham hands' though and could play on barbed wire)
I think $1100 seems a bit steep, considering what I've seen Prestige guitars in the 2XXX range, and even newer, being sold used. I told him I'd give him six, contingent on my finding out about the case (I can't afford it, just wanted to see if he'd come down) and he wouldn't budge. Claims he paid more than six for it (doubtful, we know this guy pretty well and if he paid four I'd be amazed)
I'm really just curious about the case, so I'll know later if I ever see one for sale and can afford it, what is the 'cut-off year' I should expect it to include the Prestige case.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything about it and if it has, can someone just point me to the thread?
Like I said, it's either not there or I just suck at searching these forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Vendor

Re: When did Ibanez start selling Prestige guitars with the J-Custom case?

2005 was the first year.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich, good to know.
I figured you'd be the one to answer, being a dealer for so long.
I loved the guitar, it even sounded really good with the IBZ/Dimarzio pickups that so many on here seem to loath, but $1100?
Not touching the main savings account though. Mine is empty, so no new, or used, guitars for me until I can save up some 'mad money'.
$1100? I'd buy a new 655 long before I'd give someone $1100 for a 10 year old guitar that I'm pretty sure sold for about that new.
It must be the blonde hair thing again, people often mistake me for some kind of dummy when they talk to me. This guy knows me, but just that I come in his shop, it's not like we've had any real conversations before today.
Kind of pisses me off sometimes, other times; I take advantage of it. LOL J/K
Hmm, should I go back without Jeff and flirt with the guy and see if he comes down on the price? Just for gits and shiggles? LOL
I know, I know, I keep saying "I'm shy", but I can put on a character when I need to. LOL
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
2005 was the first year.
So I'm very glad that my first Prestige 2570 VSL is a 2005 model
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meechy View Post
Thanks Rich, good to know.
I figured you'd be the one to answer, being a dealer for so long.
I loved the guitar, it even sounded really good with the IBZ/Dimarzio pickups that so many on here seem to loath, but $1100?
Not touching the main savings account though. Mine is empty, so no new, or used, guitars for me until I can save up some 'mad money'.
$1100? I'd buy a new 655 long before I'd give someone $1100 for a 10 year old guitar that I'm pretty sure sold for about that new.
It must be the blonde hair thing again, people often mistake me for some kind of dummy when they talk to me. This guy knows me, but just that I come in his shop, it's not like we've had any real conversations before today.
Kind of pisses me off sometimes, other times; I take advantage of it. LOL J/K
Hmm, should I go back without Jeff and flirt with the guy and see if he comes down on the price? Just for gits and shiggles? LOL
I know, I know, I keep saying "I'm shy", but I can put on a character when I need to. LOL
And yeah, $1100 is very steep considering you could pick other later models that come with cases for less... it is of course a great, really great guitar but because it's sold by the guy you mentioned, it's too expensive...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Even if I could get him down to $600, I don't have the money. Beautiful guitar though. I'd be willing to track down a case for it if I could get him down, and had the money.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 AM

Reviews: 120

I've got to ask, why do you need a case? If you're playing at home you don't really need a case, and there are decent gig bags that are protective and dont cost too much.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Even if I could get him down to $600, I don't have the money. Beautiful guitar though. I'd be willing to track down a case for it if I could get him down, and had the money.
Does the guitar have a Team J.Craft stamp of approval on the back of it's headstock?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I've got to ask, why do you need a case? If you're playing at home you don't really need a case, and there are decent gig bags that are protective and dont cost too much.
I play at home only and I need the case, it's safer to put my guitar in there.
I also have multiple guitar stand, but I put some non-significant guitars in there.
All guitar that matters to me , stay in case.

and another thing : I also collect ibanez cases......
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 AM

If the guitar came with a case brand new and I was offered to buy it second hand but, it didn't have it's case then, it would bug me a lot. Also, a Prestige/J Craft case would be expensive and hard to come by for purchase separately...
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Well, since this one didn't come with a case originally I'd just buy a regular Ibanez molded case for it. Not too worried about finding a Prestige case for it, since they didn't have them anyway at the time.
I don't know if it did or didn't have the Team J-Craft sticker, Jeff looked at the serial just to determine the date. (I didn't handle the guitar, still only one arm here. )
I keep mine in the cases too. Just for protection. It's dusty as hell here, and since this is a coal mining state, there's always coal dust in the air and I'm sure that's not good for a guitar finish, or your lungs, or your eyes or.... well, you get the idea.
This is all academic anyway. I can't afford it at half the price right now.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:43 PM

Reviews: 2

Wait....am I reading this wrong or are you guys saying that some Prestige guitars came in J-custom cases? None of my Prestige's ever came in one. Just the TJC cases and the M100c that my '02 came in.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I mis-typed, I meant 'Team J-Craft' case, not 'J-Custom' in the OP.
Bad Meechy.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I mis-typed, I meant 'Team J-Craft' case, not 'J-Custom' in the OP.
Bad Meechy.
Ahhhh....... and, of course, I'm the only moron in the thread that didn't catch it........LOL
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 11:47 PM

Meechy, you can get W100RG wooden case, if the purpose is for storage only.
It's lightweight, compared to the Jcraft case.

For some reason, I hate that J craft case.
I know it holds the guitar inside so tight, but it's heavy and look ugly..

M100C is my choice if I'm traveling, been proved traveling from milwaukee to indonesia, changed flight 3 times , and it holds..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode