Where all my Ibanezes went -- new guitar collection pic - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 08:42 PM

Wow, I always liked PRSs, so this looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weserman
Still can't believe you sold all the Ibanez though. I'd have kept a couple....
Well, actually I did keep a couple...

I decided to keep my JPM100-P1--it was the first Ibanez I ever bought, about 8 years ago now. I kept it for those rare occasions where I need something a little more "intense" than the PRS vintage-type trem. (Although, ever since I put the tremol-no on it, I play it as a fixed-bridge guitar 90% of the time anyway.)

I also kept my UV777-BK--it was the second Ibanez I bought, about 6 years ago now. I knew I'd regret it if I had no seven strings at all around the house! (And the PRS 7-string isn't a remotely affordable option!)

--B
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 10:52 PM

I understand the PRS thing. I picked up a well-used one in trade a while back and really surprised myself at how much I liked it...a real identity crisis: was I becoming a "PRS guy"?? Still have it, but Ibanezes remain the majority party so far.

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...;highlight=prs

Greg
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:47 PM

I've just got these pics today!!!
It will be a custom replica, made in Brazil.
*Maple Neck
*Rosewood fretboard
*Figurated Imbuia body

Gold hardware is on the way, WOW
Hope all of you like it
TubarãoGuitars
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:54 PM

Don't give Brent the cold shoulder, he's just dabbing in the variety of life!

I know what he means, although I had NOWHERE near the collection, I went ahead and unloaded some Ibanez guitars and picked up some new toys:

EB/MM Axis with a NICE natural quilt top
Washburn N4 Ash Body w/Flight Case
Jackson PC-1 Au Natural

AND a little surprise for myself I'll be showing off in the near future

There won't be ONE Lo-Pro or Edge trem in the bunch, but I'll have a vast array of sounds to draw from!

Gotta find my nice natural 10 Top PRS CU22 before Brent does now!
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 09:43 PM

Very impressive PRS collection!
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
(And the PRS 7-string isn't a remotely affordable option!)
--B
Agreed. My friend just spent $11K on a custom PRS 7-string! It's one of only 4 in existence!

I told him he was insane, but hey, if you have the money, go for it.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 10:07 AM

Good looking guitars there Brent.

My local shop has a PRS Hollowbody Spruce top w/piezo, birds the whole shebang...it's like $3400, pretty steep.

What's your take on the hollowbody vibe, how different of an animal is it from the others...a mini-review from your perspective would be cool if you can spare a moment to pontificate...
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 10:11 AM

When will you get a PRS with Edge and sustainer?
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 04:35 AM

GAS or OCD?

Just messin with you. An impressive collection! Am I to understand that you unloaded all of your Ibanez to purchase all PRS, or do you have a spare Gibson or Fender (or Ibanez) lying around? Just curious.

What are your thoughts regarding the tone of the neck pickup in a 22 vs a 24 fret guitar?
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
What's your take on the hollowbody vibe, how different of an animal is it from the others...a mini-review from your perspective would be cool if you can spare a moment to pontificate...
I really like the PRS Hollowbody II, but the only other hollowbody I've owned in my life was an Ibanez Artstar AS120, so there's quite a difference between the two in terms of $$$.

Overall, the PRS HBII has impeccable craftsmanship, great playability, smooth tone. However, the Korean-made AS120 was just as playable and had a different but equally nice tone. The moral of the story: As always, with PRS you pay for the attention to detail!

It's amazing how light the HBII is--it doesn't have a center block like most hollowbodies. It feels like the lightest guitar I've ever owned. It still feels very solid; however, given that it has basically no internal bracing I certainly wouldn't want to drop it down a flight of stairs.

My HBII has flamed maple front & back (not 10-top, I must add). Personally, I think it's a little too bright for standard jazz work (I play in a 30-piece big band)--the HBI (which has a maple top and mahogany back) or HB-Spruce (spruce top and mahogany back) would both have slightly warmer tones. (So, why did I get HBII then? Let's just say I got a deal...)

This is definitely a "clean playing" guitar... the pickups are very low output. Soloing on it with light distortion requires a lot more effort than most guitars, and obviously heavy distortion isn't an option. I think other hollowbodies (ES-335, the Artstars) hold up better if you do want to switch in a little distortion for a solo. I've been debating putting McCarty pickups into it (at least in the bridge position) for just a little more power when I need it.

The piezo system is top notch... similar in implementation to the double-edge... 2 output jacks with a 3-way switch, or 1 output jack with a mix control. It sounds great plugged directly into the PA or an acoustic amp... actually, it sounds better than either of my acoustics (both Guilds with Fishman prefix blender preamps) plugged into a PA/acoustic amp.

So there's a few random thoughts on it (probably not enough to merit calling it a review!). When you consider what Gibson wants for a hollowbody, comparing the Gibson craftsmanship to PRS craftsmanship, the PRS doesn't look like as bad of a deal. However, if I was to quit playing in the big band, I'd probably sell it and buy a much cheaper hollowbody to have around. It's cool, but at the end of the day I'd probably rather have a couple more solidbody McCarty's!

--B
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
When will you get a PRS with Edge and sustainer?
You know, a couple months ago there were a bunch of Neal Schlon's (?) PRS customs for sale on e-bay... they all had floyd rose trems, sustainers, either piezos or Roland MIDI pickups... all of 'em were pretty over the edge.

As for me, I'm trying to avoid floyd-type trems... actually, I'm trying to avoid trems altogether. I just want a big solid fixed bridge!

But the sustainer... that'd be sweet!

--B
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 04:57 AM

I´ve had two customs, and now i have a McCarty (10 top-amber violin sunburst, but not rosewood neck ) and i think they´re WAY better sounding than the customs, and i feel more comfortable on it.
For me it´s THE PRS.
Apart, i was very interested on the hollowbodies, never tried one. I´m curious. I tought they had McCarty pickups

Tags
acoustic amp , bridge position , edge trem , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge model , fixed bridge models , flamed maple , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fret guitar , ibanez collection , ibanez guitars , les paul , les pauls , mahogany body , maple binding , maple neck , neck pickup , piezo system , playing guitar , rosewood fretboard , rosewood neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode