Where all my Ibanezes went -- new guitar collection pic - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Where all my Ibanezes went -- new guitar collection pic

Before I post pics of what I've been up to the past couple months, I just gotta say that I love Jemsite. I disappeared from the forum for a few weeks (actually to concentrate on final exams) and received several messages from fellow Jemsiters asking how things were going, making sure I was still around and playing guitar, etc. That's why I love this place!

-=-=-

Anyway, lots of people noticed, heck, participated in my big Ibanez sale a couple months ago. And I got a lot of questions about why I was selling 'em. At the time, I had 16 Ibanezes, which I tried to rotate through evenly, but could barely keep 'em dusted, let alone in tune. Many of 'em hadn't had a string change in 2+ years. Too many things to do, not enough time to play, and certainly not enough time to do major guitar maintenance!

For strange reasons, with all the Ibanezes around, my main player became a '77 Les Paul Pro that belongs to my fiancee. It's not strange that I started playing Les Pauls... I started out on Les Pauls ~10 years ago. What's strange is that the LP Pro had soapbar pickups, and I really began to dig it. Suddenly I remembered why I started playing set neck guitars in the first place--the sustain! And I really got into the simplicity of the fixed bridge again.

With that in mind, I began a quest for the ultimate 24-fret fixed bridge guitar. I was really looking for a 24-fret Les Paul... something with a fixed bridge, classic maple/mahogany body, set neck. I first got an LP Standard DC+, which is (I believe) the only 24-fret LP currently available. The guitar had its moments, but the chambered body didn't have quite enough mass to get the tone/sustain I wanted, and the craftsmanship was really disappointing (bad fretwork, sloppy inlays/binding). I ended up going to check out a PRS Custom 24 stoptail at the advice of a former bandmate. I liked the idea of the PRS... similar in construction to the LP, while being a little lighter and more tonally versatile... but was kinda skeptical at first. Once I got my hands on a Custom 24, I immediately fell in love with it--the sound, the feel, the look, everything.

So I decided, somewhat on a whim, to sell the majority of my Ibanez collection and buy a few PRS's. I started watching e-bay, picking up a couple more Custom 24's, a couple McCarty's, a Singlecut, and a Hollowbody. When all was said & done, I ended up with 8 PRS's (half as many Ibanezes as I started out with), the majority of which are fixed bridge models.

Have I regretted it? Not yet. Only time will tell. So far I've been really happy with the PRS's, and I think they've inspired me to take my playing to a new level. I know that sounds kinda hokey, but some of you know what I'm talking about. Surprisingly, the McCarty's have become my favorites, and they've got a much more "vintage" feel and tone than the Custom 24 I started out with.

Without much further ado, here's a picture of my PRS collection:

Top L to R: Custom 24 stoptail (violin amber 10-top), Custom 24 trem (whale blue 10-top), Custom 24 trem (cherry sunbust 10-top, gold hardware), Custom 24 trem (grey black 10-top)

Bottom L to R: Singlecut (black sunburst 10-top), McCarty Rosewood (natural 10-top), McCarty Soapbar (black w/ maple binding), Hollowbody II (violin amber burst, piezo, gold hardware)

So I'm sure I'll get a lot of "I can't believe you sold all those Ibanezes for those..." responses, but like I said before... no regrets so far.

--B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:27 AM

Brent,

Impressive collection! You've done it again! Nice selection of verstility in those axes, and ALL 10 TOPS!

If you're not stuck on 24 frets, check out a CU22 as well. I had one that I miss daily.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:27 AM
Fry

I really like that McCarty Rosewood (natural 10-top) 2nd from the bottom left.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:29 AM

nice guitars... I like the custom 24 violin amber stop tail.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:37 AM

Wow, that's cool PRSs are great, a Custom 24 is the best guitar I've ever played. But 16 Ibanez for 8 PRS? Will you have time to play these ones!? lol. It's up to you though, your money.
Nice purchase!

Joe
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 07:37 AM

Wow. I'm looking forward to your next sale!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments, folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS ROYAL DARKNESS
Nice selection of verstility in those axes, and ALL 10 TOPS!
Almost... the Hollowbody II isn't a 10-top. It's got the flamed maple back, too, so I was really afraid of how much it would be to get one with a 10-top AND 10-back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS ROYAL DARKNESS
If you're not stuck on 24 frets, check out a CU22 as well.
I think when I started out I was all about 24 frets, but since I've gotten into the McCarty so much, 22 frets don't seem to bother me. So I'll probably check out a CU22... I'd really like to find one of the semi-hollow CU22's, but they seem to be few and far between. (In the mean time, my CU24 stoptail is pretty close... it's actually got Dragon II pickups like the CU22's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJemBoy
But 16 Ibanez for 8 PRS? Will you have time to play these ones!?
I guess I should've said "16 Ibanez for 8 used PRS, and managed to put some cash in the bank"--I had to raise a little money for school and my upcoming wedding. So far, I've actually had a little more time to play them, probably because I'm down to only 1 class this quarter instead of 2 classes. And so far I've been doing a much better job of rotating them and showing 'em all equal attention!

--B
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
nice

i hear you about "too many axes". that is alot of PRS' to buy at once but their resale is good if you ever get tired of them and want 8 gibsons or fenders instead ...glen
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:58 AM

Wow! *salivates* D Great collection dude!

I wouldn't blame you if you were moonlighting on each of your ladies!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 AM

nice collection, I love the blue colour that prs do. Still can't believe you sold all the Ibanez though. I'd have kept a couple....

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:13 AM

Well since I bought two of the Ibanez (RG3120TW and RGT3120TV) I'm very glad that he did sell them.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:38 AM

Tasty Collection but not an Ibanez or Floyd Rose in site
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:48 AM

Wow man, that couch is soooooo much nicer than Rich's
Seriously, nice guitars, it's gonna be fun picking your favorite out of that bunch!

jim
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:40 PM

I hate you, man
Tubarão
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 02:51 PM

very nice lookin collection, i relay like the natural finished one at the front.

i cant stand the finish on the single cut tho, bet sounds great

Tags
acoustic amp , bridge position , edge trem , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge model , fixed bridge models , flamed maple , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fret guitar , ibanez collection , ibanez guitars , les paul , les pauls , mahogany body , maple binding , maple neck , neck pickup , piezo system , playing guitar , rosewood fretboard , rosewood neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode