Where can I get coloured hardware? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Where can I get coloured hardware?

I have the 2013 RG421MH and I think some gold and purple hardware will really blend well with the wood body.

I can't seem to find any parts in these colors though so is there something I'm missing also feel free to post up some of your guitars and ideas to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Re: Where can I get coloured hardware?

The problem with coloured hardware is that you have to take into account the processes that are used.

Powdercoating has been done before, but its very expensive and hard to mass produce - it makes for very expensive, low number hardware production. It also makes all the parts larger as it doesn't change the colour of the metal itself, but rather deposits a layer on the top which is then hardened. This means it's fiddly to get parts to mate with clean segments and with tight fits. Screws for example typically need the threads reaming out again.

The other alternatives are electroplating, which is how chrome and gold are done, but there isn't really a readily available purple metal, so your colours are limited, and anyone with gold hardware will tell you how quickly it wears off.

Your third alternative is anodising, but this is difficult to do on some metals and for the most part is only super-effective on aluminium parts. Processes do exist for zinc, which is what ibanez trems are made of, but they're not super common, and besides which, ibanez trems aren't made solely of zinc, and other parts are made of steel. Steel is nearly impossible to anodize, depending on the carbon content (Which in a trem, will be very high carbon content as hardness is the key concern, and certainly not flexibility or ductility.)

Your only practical choice would be to buy chrome or plain steel parts, and have a local shop powder coat them - but as mentioned, you'd need to invest significant time, effort, and money, in order to come out of the other side with fitted, working parts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Re: Where can I get coloured hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The problem with coloured hardware is that you have to take into account the processes that are used.

Powdercoating has been done before, but its very expensive and hard to mass produce - it makes for very expensive, low number hardware production. It also makes all the parts larger as it doesn't change the colour of the metal itself, but rather deposits a layer on the top which is then hardened. This means it's fiddly to get parts to mate with clean segments and with tight fits. Screws for example typically need the threads reaming out again.

The other alternatives are electroplating, which is how chrome and gold are done, but there isn't really a readily available purple metal, so your colours are limited, and anyone with gold hardware will tell you how quickly it wears off.

Your third alternative is anodising, but this is difficult to do on some metals and for the most part is only super-effective on aluminium parts. Processes do exist for zinc, which is what ibanez trems are made of, but they're not super common, and besides which, ibanez trems aren't made solely of zinc, and other parts are made of steel. Steel is nearly impossible to anodize, depending on the carbon content (Which in a trem, will be very high carbon content as hardness is the key concern, and certainly not flexibility or ductility.)

Your only practical choice would be to buy chrome or plain steel parts, and have a local shop powder coat them - but as mentioned, you'd need to invest significant time, effort, and money, in order to come out of the other side with fitted, working parts.
Ok I see, thank you for the detailed answer, after reading this and studying etc I have come to the conclusion that my best bet would be to go with gold hardware combined with coloured strings, thanks again.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Lets see a pics when you get it done!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 AM

I want a red pickguard for my rg350exz. That new black Mikro with the red pickguard is jsut so gorgeous that I want to do that to my black 350. Does anyone know where to get a red pickguard?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 AM

^^ The seller 'tommyplays' on eBay has some. Red mirror though.

Tags
coloured , hardware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode