Where to get chrome/nickel hardware for a S1520? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Where to get chrome/nickel hardware for a S1520?

Specifically, I'm looking for tuners, knobs, pup rings, and a lo-pro edge with the nut.

I know the guy on Frets On The Net does pickup rings for Ibanezes, but I don't know if they'll fit on the S. Does anyone know if any old pickup ring should do it, or do I need specific measurements? And I can get the knobs off you-know-where easy.

For tuners, both Planet Waves tuners and Gotoh Magnum ones will fit, right? Also, do I really need locking tuners with a locking nut - I doubt it, but I thought I'd just ask anyway.

Also, where can I get a lo-pro edge in chrome? Preferably with the locking nut and string retainer bar thingy.

Any help'd be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 PM

Re: Where to get chrome/nickel hardware for a S1520?

Rich should be able to help out with that lot. Click on the Ibanez Rules banner above
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 11:36 PM

Why are you so much into changing your new S1520 hardware and pickups?

I have that very same model and personally think it looks fantastic the way it is. I know, it's a matter of likes. But I'm just wondering.

If you wanted to replace the existing knobs because of use, go get the sames from Ibanez parts or ask Rich. Actually, first try cleaning them with a soft cloth. If it doesn't quite work, try some mild cleaner like "Pride", on a small stained section to see if it helps. Same applies for the lo-pro trem. But a soft clean cloth should always be your most important tool. Any stuff like Pride or any other solvent or soap will very likely still leave some residue on the surface.

From my point of view, replacing tuners, locking nut, hardware, tremolo, pups rings, etc just for the fun of it is too much of a hassle and a considerable investment. Unless you really really hate the cosmo finish wholeheartedly.

Even the stock pups are great. Many people including me praise them. Why cashing out $150-200 to get new ones?

The S1520 is a superb guitar as originally delivered from factory IMHO.

Gus.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Because it's a used 2002 model and most of the cosmo stuff is very, very worn.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 12:29 AM

So you tried cleaning it already uh? And tried something like "Pride" as well with no luck, right?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

What, will that bring back the cosmo finish or wear it all off?

I know the cosmo hardware looks chrome underneath, but I have my doubts of the durability of that chrome (resistance to corrosion, etc.) since it was coated with that cosmo stuff.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 05:47 PM

If the coating is indeed worn-off, then as you said, there is nothing to do but replacing it.

All I was suggesting was making sure it is that and not simple stains from use. Cosmo finish does stain very easily and noticeably from touch, but as long as you clean it, it regains its original shape. Some stains are harder than others and may need some stronger product to remove them. I've had my S1520 for 4+ years and everything looks still almost brand new. I guess if the previous user was absolutely careless and never bother cleaning the guitar, or he was gigging it out night after night, then the hardware may have suffer some serious wearing.

As I said, I believe Rich stocks most if not all of what you may need, and there is also the Ibanez parts page, where you can get hold of most as well.

Cheers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 06:56 PM

It'd been some time since I had last visited the site, just did, they should have 110% of what you may need. Even tremolos, they have them in all color/finishes to suit your preference.

http://ibanez.com/parts/START_HERE.HTML

Hope this helps.

Gus.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Also, what's the difference between chrome, nickel, and power nickel?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 12:30 AM

You need to check the Ibanez site I mentioned before. It is both entertaining and instructive.

If you go to Ibanez parts, then search catalog by part type, pick "Control knob". The first six items on the list are the type of knob you need, in the six finish-types Ibanez currently produces: Black, Chrome, Cosmo-black, Powder Cosmo, Satin nickel and Vintage silver.

Tags
cosmo hardware , locking nut , locking tuners , pickup ring , pickup rings , planet waves , pro edge , retainer bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode