Where to get a custom refinish? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Where to get a custom refinish?

Hello, I was wondering: where should I go to have my RG2550 custom painted in a flourescent neon green finish? I was thinking about LGM Guitars and Graphics, but they are now only accepting orders for their Leviathan line of guitars.

So where should I go or send it to have it custom painted?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:49 PM

Re: Where to get a custom refinish?

That Sims Custom Shop looks good (it's in the banner below Rich's Ibanez Rules)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, but I'd rather not have to deal with shops in another country.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:51 PM

Technically speaking sending it out to Jeremy @ LGM guitars is actually it out to another country(Canada).

No local luthiers?? Autobody shops?? Motorcycle/Chopper shops?? I'm sure somebody in your area can refinish it for you.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

So would a bodyshop be ideal? Or would I be better taking it to a furniture store where they paint furniture? I just wondered if maybe some of the methods they use on cars would harm the guitar itself.

And do I need to supply any paint or what?

Also, how would I go about getting them to paint the headstock without damaging the neck? This is the reason that I would have wanted to send it to a place like EKG or LGM, because they specifically do guitars.

I'd really like to do a loch ness green themed RG with the hot pink pickups.

Last edited by waylay00; 01-16-2006 at 10:06 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 PM

I'm sure there are music shops that do custom guitars in your area. Call Strings & Things (HUGE Memphis music store) if they don't do customs I'm sure they can recommend someone to you.

(Not to knock LGM or EKG or anyone, but why ship your axe somewhere if you don't have to?)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I never go into Strings in Things anymore. They don't have jack anymore. My dad, who received one of those 1976 '59 Les Paul String and Things Reissue that is now worth a large amount, has said that their quality as a store has gone down alot. I'll have to see about it though.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:04 PM

Roxy guitar finish (www.roxyguitarfinish.com) has done some work for myself and a friend of mine and have done really nice work at a reasonable price.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Do you think that it would also be possible for a bodyshop to paint the headstock with a matching color without damagind the neck? I'm afraid that they could seriously do some damage to my guitar.

Also, what about having the guitar stripped from its original paint? Who should I have do this? I want this to be done professionally, not by myself, as I can not afford to potentially damage anything.

And as far as telling the body shop what to do, are there any special instructions I need to give them?

Last edited by waylay00; 01-19-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , les paul , lgm guitars , local luthier , loch ness green , music store , sims custom , sims custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode