Where to sell an original 1953 Telecaster? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Where to sell an original 1953 Telecaster? (MOds please move)

(Sorry, meant to post in the "other 6 string guitars" area. Please move this. THX!)

Ok, this is interesting...
I saw an ad on Craigslist for a 1953 Telecaster, very nice shape w/ a gorgeous woodgrain (one non-original pickup and non-original pickguard), $5,500. He obviously didn't know what it's worth. I was tempted to go take the loan my bank has been offering me and grab that guitar but I'm just not that kind of person so I called him and told him that they sell for around $30,000. We talked for a while. He appreciated my honesty and ended up asking my assistance in selling it.
So, my question to you is, what are the best places online to advertise this guitar?? Does anyone know of any good collector forums or other spots where I can feature the guitar?
Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Vendor

Re: Where to sell an original 1953 Telecaster?

Send it to Skinners at let it sell to the biggest wallet. They will get top dollar for it so even though you'll have to give them 20 points, it will be sold, and the payment will be guaranteed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM

actually one just sold on flea bay with the matching amp and the last time I looked the bid was in the high 30,000 low 40,000 range -

It was a '53 as well - coincidentally enough.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

The owner brought the amp by today so that I could evaluate the condition and originality. The collector's value is not what I was hoping as it went through some changes in the late 60's including a re-finish, non-original neck pup & pickguard (plus routing), no logo on headstock, non-original tubers (60's), non-original pots & caps.
However the bridge, bridge-pup, body, neck, etc are all correct. I'm thinking it'll bring in 10k because it is a blaady-amazing player.
It sounds like God's Telecaster. Un-G.D.-believeable. I've played numerous custom-shop Teles in the $4K- 5K range and they have absolutely nothing on thus guitar. The tonal qualities are beyond anything I would have imagined. The notes are just "there" and the wood is far more responsive than anything I've known.
I feel like a total idiot for not buying this thing for $5,500, however, I did the right thing because the guy is a really nice person.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 PM

Everything happens for a reason, and that karma will come back to you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 PM

From what I understand, non-original pups, tuners, refinish, etc etc are all big things to collectors and will drop the price SIGNIFICANTLY. Nonetheless you did the right thing by not swindlin' the guy. It'll come back atcha when you need it!

Tags
telecaster vintage 1953

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode