Who is buying which guitars? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:43 PM

Re: Who is buying which guitars?

Thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 PM

In my opinion these guitars are made to separate older and middle aged Boomers who have considerable disposable income from some of their cash.

Most beginners and younger players do not yet have the means to swing $10,000 on a guitar. As an example, the owner of Fractal Audio Systems recently posted a PRS Private Stock that he had bought. He did not disclose how much he paid, but this is the type of guitars the OP is talking about and it was bought by the owner of a successful company with considerable financial means.

And I agree collecting “heritage” and vintage instruments is way cheaper than collecting Ferraris and Lamborghinis (unless you buy David Gilmore’s black strat
jono likes this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 PM

There are a ton of crazy rich players out there with more money then they know what to do with. Hedge fund managers, tech CEOs. A buddy of mine makes his living installing high-end A/V systems in yachts and he makes so much money he has a whole storage space full of guitars and gear. It's the acquisition that matters most. The real excitement is in the buying of something new. After that, the excitement wears off. It's kind of like being a drug addict.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 PM

I have to agree with plantboy, there are TONS of rich mf'ers out there that have played recreationally for years and need to burn cash...saw this one not too long ago in a bar: https://www.lieberguitars.com/guitars/the-garcia/

I'd rather have a Woody, myself.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:02 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantboy View Post
The real excitement is in the buying of something new. After that, the excitement wears off. It's kind of like being a drug addict.
I think this happens across all income levels. I used to feel that way with less expensive guitars but I imagine it's the same for pricier instruments.
I tend to view things in terms of a golf club approach. All the guitars are similar but have some level of functional difference.
For example, I really want that seafoam AZ2402. But I also want a seven string with a trem, which I currently don't have, and have been eyeing the UV70P. I also already own an AZ242 which I really dig so maybe I go for the UV. Or sell the Premium AZ and get the AZ2402. It's also the same reason I didn't get a purple neon RG550 Genesis when I really, really, really love purple neon. I already have the RG550RF. It's just weird for me to have two or more functionally similar instruments.
And then the price. The more expensive an instrument the more self-conscious I feel about playing it.
But to the quoted text, to me if a guitar is also functionally different I'm more likely to get excited about picking it up again after a few months rather than letting it become a hole that GAS wants to fill again.
But that's me.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1ckyp4t View Post
.saw this one not too long ago in a bar: https://www.lieberguitars.com/guitars/the-garcia/
And it's ASTOUNDING to me how many of the rich m'fers are into The Grateful Dead. And Phish.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantboy View Post
And it's ASTOUNDING to me how many of the rich m'fers are into The Grateful Dead. And Phish.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

I can not seem to find a new PRS Private Stock electric guitar priced under $10,300. It also seems "Private Stock" and "Custom Shop" are the same thing. If this is true, then $10,300 is basically a "customer interaction fee" or the minimum price for a customizable PRS. I can understand both the price and the people willing to pay it. The dealer is still involved to "keep the peace" or what seems to happen more often than not, order the dream guitar you did not know you wanted until you saw it in the store. It's a shame there are so few stores left...

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 07-28-2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think you’re right a lot of Private Stock PRS that are dealer ordered and thus dealer specked go a long way to showing off just what can be done in the PS program, but still result in a fairly normal guitar. One or two are plain crazy, but I think most are advertisements ordered for the stock list.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:32 AM

thanks for sharing!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

One last thing, my intent was never to be critical of people who buy PRS PS guitars. I am critical of the marketing PRS is using but that is another issue and one that likely plays a minor role in the decision to purchase a PS guitar.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:17 AM

Wink Re: Who is buying which guitars?

me buying all

Last edited by krzys4x; 08-14-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode