Who is buying which guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Who is buying which guitars?

I used to believe guitar players were the only people buying guitars with a few exceptions. (PRS Dragon Series is a good example. Ibanez Paul Stanley model is another.) My qualification for a "guitar player" was the ability to play the open position chords. Here is why:
- I have never known or met anyone that could not play the open position chords who was really enthusiastic about buying guitars.
- Initially, that was the purpose of the guitar, to play chords for singers.

The following guitars have forced me to ask, "who are these for?"
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...l-buckeye-burl

This was the first time I had heard the term "heirloom-quality" and thought Sweetwater made it up. (They didn't.) The description of the guitar reads like you are buying a French ch‚teau or an Imperial Fabergť egg. Lastly, "the PRS Private Stock #7872 Custom 24 is a guitar you and your family will treasure for generations." Who is buying this guitar?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...aster-sunburst
I really need help with this one. I mean....look at it! Who is buying this guitar?

I am not blaming PRS of making a nice guitar (actually, Sweetwater has several heirloom-quality PRS guitars for sale which kind of diminishes their status of being rare/unique.) or Fender for designing an innovative looking toilet, but I would like to understand the reasoning behind the marketing and how it affects the guitar industry. What comes after "heirloom-quality ?" "Heritage-quality?" "Bloodline-quality?" "Divine Right-quality?" Probably not, but then again, look at what Fender made...

Overall, I feel like the guitar industry is much more stable than it was 1 year ago. There are just a few loose ends.
mike570, pteropid and fos1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Contributor

Re: Who is buying which guitars?

"or Fender for designing an innovative looking toilet"

Ha ha ha, Gold!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:33 PM

That prs looks like it's made from the left over bits of a fancy hotel bathroom. Like a bit of left over marble worktop with gold taps. Goes quite nicely with the Fender toilet seat....
ibaraki_gaijin is online  
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think the PRS private stocks like this one go to rich guys who want something different to their quilt top and their redwood PS guitars, and buckeye burl is so hot right now...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:49 PM

The tele is an abomination.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:25 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post

The following guitars have forced me to ask, "who are these for?"
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...l-buckeye-burl
Lawyers.
Seriously though, to each their own. I didn't even want to buy the RG20th because it was gorgeous and in (not really) limited number. And they were just $900 at the time. I see every musical instrument as the "before" photo of the Grand Canyon; time and playing is going to erode an instrument. So I'm hesitant to some degree paying a lot for an instrument. But that's me. Someone else might feel different.
Also, 12 years later the RG20th is in great shape. And I do play it often. Rotation helps.
mike570 is online  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
It does not seem to have any strengths, only weaknesses.
It is like playing a round of golf with only wedges in your bag.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post

Yeah, not my cup of tea either, but I can see it being a useful instrument for someone. Now the poplar burl... That's fugly! Looks like someone vomited on a PRS. I can appreciate the detail of burled wood, but the color and finish of that one is hideous.

Who's buying those guitars? I dunno... Do they go up in value over time as top choice wood gets harder to find or even protected/restricted? Or are they like an outrageously priced sports car that loses 20% of it's value when you drive it off the lot?
FireEagle is online  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Yeah, not my cup of tea either, but I can see it being a useful instrument for someone. Now the poplar burl... That's fugly! Looks like someone vomited on a PRS. I can appreciate the detail of burled wood, but the color and finish of that one is hideous.

Who's buying those guitars? I dunno... Do they go up in value over time as top choice wood gets harder to find or even protected/restricted? Or are they like an outrageously priced sports car that loses 20% of it's value when you drive it off the lot?
I think this PRS is actually really cool:
https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/...rackle-finish/
I have never seen that type of finish on a PRS, in fact, it is the opposite of what you would see on a PRS. That has appeal to me.The $6999 asking price does not, Since it is 31 years old, I probably wonít easily find another one though. Sweetwater has 8 new Private Stock guitars I can choose from and Wildwood has 10 and they all cost $10,000+. Now, we are not always rational about how much we pay for guitars, but there is a point where a solid body electric guitar hits a ceiling in terms of build quality, playability, etc. And it is well below $10,000. People can buy whatever they want (with some exceptions) but I feel the high end of the market is pushing prices higher rather quickly simply because they can. My worry in all of this is the asymmetric information between the brand and the end user. ďThey know more than we know.Ē There is no transparency and at some point customers lose trust in the brand and nothing good comes from that.

Imagine if Ibanez came out with a J-Custom with a $10,000 MAP price. I feel there would be some negative reaction to it.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:49 AM

For $7,000 you'd at least want bird inlays 😕
ibaraki_gaijin is online  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have never seen that type of finish on a PRS, in fact, it is the opposite of what you would see on a PRS. That has appeal to me.The $6999 asking price does not, Since it is 31 years old, I probably wonít easily find another one though. Sweetwater has 8 new Private Stock guitars I can choose from and Wildwood has 10 and they all cost $10,000+. Now, we are not always rational about how much we pay for guitars, but there is a point where a solid body electric guitar hits a ceiling in terms of build quality, playability, etc. And it is well below $10,000. People can buy whatever they want (with some exceptions) but I feel the high end of the market is pushing prices higher rather quickly simply because they can. My worry in all of this is the asymmetric information between the brand and the end user. ďThey know more than we know.Ē There is no transparency and at some point customers lose trust in the brand and nothing good comes from that.

Imagine if Ibanez came out with a J-Custom with a $10,000 MAP price. I feel there would be some negative reaction to it.
The thing is that a PRS PS isnít just a guitar, itís also a work of art, a status symbol, a comfort blanket, an investment and a way of getting back at the wife who just spent more than that on a new dining room suite.

I donít ever recall seeing a PS being played other than in a guitar shop and I think the owners and prospective owners know exactly what theyíre buying, itís a lot cheaper than collecting Ferraris

That said there are a couple of J Customs for sale here in the U.K. advertised at £7k which is about $9K or so...
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I have never seen that type of finish on a PRS, in fact, it is the opposite of what you would see on a PRS. That has appeal to me..

I agree... The crackle finish looks fantastic, but I'm not sure how I would get along with the texture of the finish. I had a hard time with a flat finished RG5EX1 that I bought years ago. Just yesterday I was looking at vintage Charvel Fusion guitars with a smooth crackle finish though... \m/

I'm kind of a low budget guy, the most I have ever spent on a guitar is $800 for a JS1200 a few years ago. To me it's tough to justify spending more than a couple thousand on a super high quality guitar... and that would only be justifiable if I were a professional player. I can't play any better on a high end guitar than I can a decent mid-range guitar, although it may sound somewhat better with high end pickups. Same way with vehicles... My '05 5-speed Corolla has tons of life left for running to work and here and there, and my '04 Ford ranger does fine for going fishing, cutting wood in the winter, helping my daughters move, etc. I see no need for anything different, except maybe needing 4wd on the truck from time to time.

If money were no object I would have dozens of guitars, but not anything crazy expensive. I would love a Jem 7v and a BFP, an RG920qs, an old Charvel Fusion, a PRS Custom 22, a 24 fret JS with sustainer to play with, etc... Fun and interesting guitars that come with a few scratches already so I can play without worry... lol.
FireEagle is online  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
The thing is that a PRS PS isnít just a guitar, itís also a work of art, a status symbol, a comfort blanket, an investment and a way of getting back at the wife who just spent more than that on a new dining room suite.

I donít ever recall seeing a PS being played other than in a guitar shop and I think the owners and prospective owners know exactly what theyíre buying, itís a lot cheaper than collecting Ferraris

That said there are a couple of J Customs for sale here in the U.K. advertised at £7k which is about $9K or so...
Those are fair reasons. The thing is PRS has to make a guitar that the buyer feels is a work of art, status symbol, comfort blanket, etc. which is hard to do convincingly. The same can be said for Gibson Custom and Fender Custom Shop which appear to be separate divisions within each brand now. I am not sure what the actual differences are in terms of what they build. The PRS Dragons were convincing status symbols, art, comfort blankets. There was no illusion about what you were buying. The EBMM JP Nomac was the same way.

Fountain pens are similar, except no one really needs one to be able to write. (You need a guitar to be able to play the guitar.) As a result, fountain pens are kind of a luxury. An extreme example of this is the following:
https://www.montegrappa.com/en/colle..._product=27870
There is nothing confusing about this pen. The people who buy it know exactly what they are buying. (It is Ä39,500, made out of 18k gold and titanium, and is a miniature of the Saturn V rocket. It stands out.) Overall, the price of a good fountain pen will not be affected if these sell out. At the same time, I have no doubt these are good fountain pens, but that is not what Montgrappa is selling.

Private Stock guitars all come with a hard shell case, so thatís a plus!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Ahhh, but a fountain pen is neither large enough to take up a noticeable amount of room in the living room of your expensive mansion, nor rebellious enough in its symbolism to annoy a spendhappy wife!

Plus think how much noise a fountain pen can make compared to a PRS through a Two Rock and original Klon...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 PM

Reviews: 6

not me...all my guitars are tools including my jem...my joy comes from playing and creating with them...d.m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode