Who can I get a PGM style body from? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Who can I get a PGM style body from?

....beside EKG (who's literally impossible to get a hold of).

I'm looking for a fixed bridge HSH PMG style body (same route as 301). I don't even need it finished. I'm trying to put together a project and need a body.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:24 AM

Re: Who can I get a PGM style body from?

I can't think of anyone except Eddie that does a PGM body. Are you wanting an exact PGM body, or are you flexible on the shape of the control cavity? The reason I ask is if you don't care about the cavity shape, you could just buy an RG hardtail body from another luthier, and tell them where you want the pickup routes, volume control hole and five way selector placed. They wouldn't be exactly in the same position that they are on PGM's, but you may not even care about that anyway. --Jason
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:20 AM

Try Christopher Woods at: http://homepage.mac.com/bigvelvetdog/home.html - as he uses a CNC machine, it shouldn't be a problem.

While I'm at it, I'm thinking of asking Chris to make me a JEM/RG style body out of Spruce - anyone got any comments about dealing with Chris?

Cheers

David
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Dee

Well I tried to deal with Chris, and I never got a reply to my email. I'm sure he's a very busy guy, but I think you'll have a long wait if you buy from him.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

I want -exactly- the same style body as a PGM. Duplicating the PGM's control cavity is imperative. The volume and 5 way switch can't be placed in the same spot as a PGM in a standard RG control cavity. I found this out after comparing my RG Prestige to my PGM.

Warmoth can probably do it, especially if I send them a PGM body for reference. I've checked out Chris Wood's site as well. I'm not surprised he's backed up too. It's great to have guy like Chris and Eddie who can offer custom services but if you are never able to get in touch with them, what's the point really? Just an observation.

I'm looking into other alternatives as well. I'll figure something out one way or another.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:35 AM

Check your PM's. --Jason
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:55 AM
EKG

Sorry guys, but I have a crazy backlog of work and tons of email to get to. I guess it's true when they say "Careful what you wish for". I wished for a lot of projects and I got it.

PGM's I can do.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Eddie, I completely understand your situation so I don't hold anything against you for not replying. It's better to have too much business than too little

I just want to get the info I need so I can figure out how to get the project I have in mind together, that's all.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy
Warmoth can probably do it, especially if I send them a PGM body for reference.
i asked a salesperson about this when i was having warmoth build my neck and was told that the luthiers "prefer" not to have bodies sent to them to copy. they really only work from a scale drawing and it would probably be very expensive (starting point of $350 for all custom body shapes). waiting for eddie might just be your best bet.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:42 AM

Reviews: 34

Couldn't you just buy an RG body, then fill and re-route as necessary?

If you are starting a project anyway it might be worth spending $100 on a body and giving it a go.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 AM

I was thinking the same thing. you aren't filing/routing big holes, so it shouldn't be that bad. I think the volume knob hole might line up with the cavity already there for the output jack.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God
I was thinking the same thing. you aren't filing/routing big holes, so it shouldn't be that bad. I think the volume knob hole might line up with the cavity already there for the output jack.
Nope, it won't. I've compared the Prestige and PGM I have.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
Couldn't you just buy an RG body, then fill and re-route as necessary? If you are starting a project anyway it might be worth spending $100 on a body and giving it a go.
Sure, I could do that but I can buy an unfinished body routed correctly for a little more than double that.

I've got a line on a body so I'm good to go. Thanks for all the replies.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:36 AM

Erm,
(apologies for being dense)

What about just buying a PGM301 from evilbay (or whatever). They keep apearing and tend to be really cheap.

Then you've got a good PGM body to work with, and a neck, pickups etc you can sell back on the 'bay (or keep for your project). Refinishing the body should be fairly easy; you could even use it as a base (with sanding) since it's white...

just my 2p.

-Bob

Tags
body shape , christopher woods , fixed bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode