who is familiar with the IBANEZ S2120xav ? please help me ! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

who is familiar with the IBANEZ S2120xav ? please help me !

I'm very interested in the S2120xav. But it has so many control-knobs, i don`t know what they all do. there are 4 turn-knobs. 1 of them is a 2bandEQ. and there must be a volume and a tone-knob. but what is the function of the 4th knob ? ?

and the little silver switch, how many stands does is have ? only piezo on/off, or more ? and how do you mix your piezo AND mag-pu`s together ?

all the info about the S2120xav is more then welcome !!

please help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 08:45 AM

Let's see, (right to left) there's the pickup selector switch and volume knob, then the tone knob to the left of the volume knob (all mags so far), then the piezo volume control below the tone knob, the piezo/both/mags (I think) switch (the little one), and the double-knob piezo EQ.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I`ve heard that you can`t chane the piezo volume ! the piezo`s are ON or the are OFF, but there`s no level difference. (that`s what I`ve heard).
so the that knob must be for another setting.

and so you think that the little switch is for Piezo/mag/or both. well I hope so, that would be nice !

do you have a S2120xav yourself ?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 04:11 PM

The piezo volume is only if you are using seperate outputs for the piezos and the magnetic pickups. (the little black button would be up for this.) If you are only using one output (black button down), then the only volume control available is the one that is shared with the magnetic pickups.

I'm not sure about the guitars that have the piezo eq in them, but the earlier ones (2020x or 2027x) the silver switch has two positions to switch between magnetic and piezo pickups. You can perform the KJG mod to change this switch to a three-way (Mag. only, both, piezo only) switch.

I hope this answers your question.

Ryan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 04:39 PM

Yeah, piezo volume on two outputs, nothing on one output (I think). And no, I don't own one, I just hang out here too much.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 05:25 PM

OK. I re-read my post, and I wasn't too clear. The volume controls are for the seperate outputs (A and B). When using seperate outputs, the volume controls are seperate. When using one output (output A), the volume control for output A works for both the magnetic pickups and also for the piezo pickups. So, yes, there is always a volume control that you can use no matter which output you are using or which pickups you use.

Check out here:
http://www.members.aol.com/rberri1038/rg2027x.jpg

This is on my RG2027X. The s2120X will be a little different because of the eq for the piezo, but this should still give you a good idea.

Ryan
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

thank you very much ryan, now I know a lot more. a long time I was looking for a pic like the one you showed me. for the S2020x the eletronica will be no different then for a RG, i hink, so it really helps me out.

but the one I`m going to buy is the S2120xav. it has no little black button, and it has the piezoEQ (2 band). On ibanez rulez you can read that the S2120xav has the ability to blend both mag AND piezo`s. and they say it`s a new option. but in the pic you send me and the things you told me, it looks like the S2020x has this ability, too. that`s strange, don`t you think.
do you know what`s the differents ?

BTW I think your RG rules. the only reason that I want a S, is for the thinner body. and the 2bandEQ (allthough there is a RG with EQ, too.)
but they are both great guitars ! yours is prestige, too, wright ?

can you tell what YOU think of the quality of piezo`s allone, or piezo`s together with mag pu`s.
I have never heard them, and I think I will not buy them if to many people say that piezo`s on an ibanez suck.

see you later !

:lol:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 07:07 PM

Go to a store and play them. the piezos are good quality. Dont go on others opinions try for yourself
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

what I mean is that I want the acoustic sound to be good. otherwise I`ll just buy a semi-acoustic guitar. but the S has this reallt thin body, with the ability to sound like an acoustic.

just wanna know how it`s sounds.

BTW the dealer is really far from here, and I have to take the day off, to go there. I`m not gonna do that within 2 weaks.

so if anyone can tell about the piezo sound, please do !
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 11:12 AM

The piezo sounds are about as good as you're going to get from a guitar with steel saddles on a floating trem. With the right EQ and running into an acoustic amp or a mixer/PA, it'll sound quite good. Not as good as a "real" acoustic guitar, obviously, but good enough for a nice texture variation and an additional sound out of one guitar.

Adding in a mic modeler like a Yamaha AG Stomp can make it sound a little more natural.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 10:02 PM

I'm not real sure exactly what the differences are on the 2120's and the 2020's. I haven't been able to play any 2120's yet.

Yes, mine is a prestige too.

I personally think that the piezo's sound pretty good. They are good enough for what I do with them. They also really impressed my band when they heard them for the first time. I have to agree with everyone else though, you should play one to find out if you like the sound of them or not.

If you are pretty sure that you want the guitar but don't want to travel the distance to try one or can't find one locally to try, then you could always buy it from a store that has a very liberal return policy and if you don't like it just return it.

Ryan
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

The store is nog so really far. only 150 KM. 1 hour and a half driving.
but I only day that I can go there is saturday (because I`m at school in during the week). But I also have a band, and we practise the whole saaturday.

but in 2 weaks I have holidays. then I wil go there with my girlfriend. we combine it with a nice day out.

i don`t like to get a guitar send. I want to listen it by myself, in the store. if it`s not good, I will go searching for anotherone.

So in about 2 weaks i`m going to buy it. AND i`m going to buy a BOSS GT-6 then ! man,I cān`t wait !!

the difference between the 2020x and the 2120x is the addition of a two band EQ on the guitar. so you get an active guitar. and with the 2120x you can blend both mag and piezo`s.
and the 2120 doesn`t have the little black button. that`s all.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:39 PM

This page explains the Double Edge controls. It's in Japanese, but the diagrams are labeled in English and are pretty self-exlanatory.

Or, you can get the Babel translation.

Keep in mind that these are diagrams from the first-generation Double Edge system. They've made some minor changes to the controls since.

Tags
acoustic amp , acoustic guitar , magnetic pickups , pickup selector switch , piezo pickup , piezo pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode