Who here has a Malmsteen strat? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Who here has a Malmsteen strat?

What is it like? I know the neck has got to be lightning fast because of the scalloped frets but how fast is it compared to say a JEM7V? I heard the clean tone is horrible is that true? I also need to know if the strat has good enough tone to be able to play instumental rock stuff like Vai and Satch or if it is just a shred guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 08:50 AM

In fact malmsteen says that the scalloped frets make it even harder to play fast, just give you a better grip on teh string :/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 05:57 AM

There are quite a few subjects in the forum about the Yngwie Malmsteen start i believe. Try doing a forum search as well, this may get your information you want alot quicker.

But quite a few people on here have got that guitar.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 04:48 PM

Its by no means a fast guitar because of the scalloped neck. The amount of lacquer on the neck (and its clubby feel) make nowhere near as easy to play as a Wolfgang or RG3120 (I have had both).

It required serious effort to play well, I have had mine for 5 years and its my slowest guitar. I have to put talcom powder on the back of the neck to make it smoother.

I also have a 72 strat thats been scalloped and that is much quicker, only due to the lacquer being smoother and worn.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 07:20 PM

Yngwie doesn't seem to have a problem playing on them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:53 PM

I own a yngwie strat and is really good for playing blues, and yngwie stuff, but it sounds like a strat non the less. For satch stuff u really need a jem or js, i cant get their sound out of the yngwie. In terms of speed the scallaps allow me to be alittle more accurate on my sweeps and legato stuff but i can play just as fast on any other guitar as the yngwie.
The clean tone is awesome, at least i think so out of my legacy.
Distorted it sounds well like yngwie, if your looking for that journey (neil schon), malmsteen tone. there is nothing better.\

Phil
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 02:54 PM

the yngwie strat comes with a gift certificate for free doughnuts and dominoes pizza, so not only can you play like yngwie, you can look like yngwie as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 03:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash the stampede
the yngwie strat comes with a gift certificate for free doughnuts and dominoes pizza, so not only can you play like yngwie, you can look like yngwie as well.
please read the rules/faq and DO NOT post like that again. thanks kindly... glen

Tags
clean tone , scalloped frets , scalloped neck , yngwie malmsteen , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode