Who knows about the RG7321 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Who knows about the RG7321

Hey guys.

I've been looking around for a 7 string guitar, read a lot of reviews on this site and made a few posts... now I finally think I have the guitar I'm looking for.

As I live in a foreign country (finland, due to the birth of my first daughter), it has been hard going trying to find decent second hand 7's here.

I have found the RG7321 for a round 480... which is what I want, cheap fixed bridge 7 string. I wanted to know if anyone out there knows if it is a decent guitar.

I understand the pickups are quite average and in the future I will probably upgrade them with emgs or dimarzios.... Should I save a little longer and buy the next model up? Or will this guitar be fine as it is?

Sorry bout the long message, I'm so excited about getting a flippin 7.

Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Re: Who knows about the RG7321

well if its what u want then get it! next model up has a floating trem, so down to what your opionion is on those i guess!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 06:18 PM

I had a 7321 before my current guitar, and it is most definently an awesome axe. The stock pickups are still pretty good, but I'd still change em to dimarzio's. If you don't want a floating trem the 7321 is an excellent choice.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fono22
I understand the pickups are quite average and in the future I will probably upgrade them with emgs or dimarzios.... Should I save a little longer and buy the next model up? Or will this guitar be fine as it is?
The only Ibanez 7s that are equipped with DiMarzios are Universes and J-Customs. Unless you're willing to spend substantially more money, buying the next model up will get you a "better" guitar that will still probably need a pickup change.
7s are where it's at, man. Go for it!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 08:21 PM

I'd probably just get the hardtail version (personally though, it's my view) because:

1. It's cheap so you're not diving into the deep end if you're really not sure about 7-strings

2. You can mod if up easily

3. Most 7-string floating trems i've come across just really don't want to stay intune (a combination of lazy guitartechs who can't be arsed to stretch that bugger of a 7-string and it just generally being a bitch! ) so a hardtail would be useful. I found myself shoving a battery in the back of my RG7420 to turn it into a hardtail because even if i palm the trem slightly it doesn't really want to set back intune. I'm thinking about putting a tremsetter or something on it, but it's not really worth the hassle and would rather have it as a hard tail!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakened Sleeper
The only Ibanez 7s that are equipped with DiMarzios are Universes and J-Customs.
the RG7621 has dimarzios doesn't it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fono22
the RG7621 has dimarzios doesn't it?
Yeah, but they're discontinued models.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
I'd probably just get the hardtail version (personally though, it's my view) because:

1. It's cheap so you're not diving into the deep end if you're really not sure about 7-strings

2. You can mod if up easily

3. Most 7-string floating trems i've come across just really don't want to stay intune (a combination of lazy guitartechs who can't be arsed to stretch that bugger of a 7-string and it just generally being a bitch! ) so a hardtail would be useful. I found myself shoving a battery in the back of my RG7420 to turn it into a hardtail because even if i palm the trem slightly it doesn't really want to set back intune. I'm thinking about putting a tremsetter or something on it, but it's not really worth the hassle and would rather have it as a hard tail!
No offence man and i dont for a second mean to be rude but its pretty obvious why your RG7420 dosnt stay in tune well. Its got that HORRIBLE POS TRS trem in it. No wonder it dosnt stay in tune. My brand new Prestige RG1527 has the edge pro (with non-locking studs as well mind you) and it stays in tune perfectly. and i mean perfectly. i barely ever have to tune it, and even then only with the fine tuners, and while im using to whammy really hard it stays in tune perfectly. Just as good as my RG520QS with an orginal edge. Apart from the trem the RG7420 is an awesome guitar though.

BTW what about the RG7421 and RG7621? personally fono22 id go for either of those since you are looking for a good quality second hand 7-string hardtail. They are both made in Japan, both much higher quality than the RG7321, and are found pretty cheap on evilbay and various other sources.

Last edited by ibanez.shredder; 01-02-2006 at 09:53 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez.shredder
No offence man and i dont for a second mean to be rude but its pretty obvious why your RG7420 dosnt stay in tune well. Its got that HORRIBLE POS TRS trem in it. No wonder it dosnt stay in tune.
yeah
i have an RG7620. and i abuse the sh#t out of my whammy bar and it stays in tune perfectly
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:30 AM

i own an rg7321. i bought is a beater 7 so i would keep the miles off of my 2 rg7620s. i bought it know that i would swap out the pickups and switch. the stock pickups are not that great, but i had the new 7's that i had pulled from my 7620's and they sound great in that guitar. i have figured that it was because it is a fixed bridge that did it. my 2 7620's have air nortons in the neck. my basswood 7620 has a blaze custom in the bridge and my mahogany one has a tone zone in it. the rg7321 is a great guitar, i paid $300 for mine-new. whereas with the new 7's, doesn't sound as good as the true blue dimarzios, holds it's own magnificently. now on to playability: it has a wizard 2 7 neck. slightly thicker than a wizard 7. very noticeable when a/b'ing, but hardly discernable when coming in cold. the beauty of the rg7321 is the neck. 5 piece reinforced neck with binding. feels incredibly stable and with the oiled finish is very sexy. great guitar, for the money. alot of people would say, find a used ibanez 7, but those are getting more and more rare while escalating in price. i know, i have 2 that i bought right before the "new boom". finding a used rg7620 for less than $500 is becoming seemingless impossible. where i spent $350 for one and $400 for the other. knowing that you can get a new ibanez rg 7 for around $300-400 is a great feeling.

rich

Tags
air norton , air nortons , fixed bridge , floating trems , locking stud , locking studs , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode