Who Switches between Ibanez and Gibson? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Who Switches between Ibanez and Gibson?

I was a Gibson man a few years ago. But one day I played a Wizard and it just felt right for what I was doing. (metal) Nowadays I still play metal but some of my music is starting to sound like it requires a Les Paul.

My question is, does switching between a Wizard style neck and that rounded Gibson shape mess up your playing? Or do your hands just remember each neck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Who Switches between Ibanez and Gibson?

I play Ibanezes (PGMs with low profile hardtails), Charvels (with recessed OFR so fine tuners are right behind my hand) and a Gibson LP Classic (standard tunamatic).

The differences between the necks never messes me up but the differences between the bridges is what takes getting used to.

When I play the Charvels, I have to keep the back of my picking hand away from the fine tuners. When I play the Gibson, my picking hand is at a different angle so I play a little differently by not much. Besides, for me the LP is for different things so I don't mind the change.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Ah okay. Yeah I can see what you mean about the bridges. Not a huge deal.

It's just...I have an RG550 that I've gotten pretty used to, and I'm about to buy a 57' reissue I think, which has a HUGE neck. Hopefully my hands will remember which is which. haha
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbandy10 View Post
....I'm about to buy a 57' reissue I think, which has a HUGE neck. Hopefully my hands will remember which is which. haha
Eh, I would not get the '57 Reissue just because of the thickness of the neck. My Classic has a 60s neck profile is which is much thinner.

Then again, my Ovation Adamas has a soft V neck and I have no problem playing that just like any of my electrics.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM

I find i may need a few minutes familiarizing when switching. That goes for Ibanez to Ibanez too, between wizard/JEM/JS/RG7. I generally stick to playing one guitar a day though playing at home!!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Oh I'm only getting the 57 reissue because I'm being offered a very good price. I don't really have too much of a preference with different Gibsons. A slim taper 60's neck feels about the same as a 57 baseball bat when it comes to those guitars.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 PM

switching between them messes me up for a short period. even switching between an ibanez and a jackson or something like that messes with my brain. ibanezes are different beasts. (im talkin about prestige rgs, jems, and guitars with the thin wide necks)

Last edited by Foulacy; 01-31-2009 at 04:11 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 PM

I don't have a problem switching from Ibanez,gibson or dean necks. They are all different,I guess playing for almost 20 years you get used to it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

So basically what I've gathered is that switching between any two necks really is a mindf***. Doesn't matter how differently thick they are.

That makes me feel better. I was afraid the drastic different between a wizard and a 57' would just kill me. But I think ya'll are right. It doesn't matter. Every neck is different.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 PM

Well maybe at first it'll feel strange, but I think the more you switch the more used to it you'l become and then you won't think about it.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 AM

I did have trouble switching from my S-series with the wizard to my strat with the c profile. I ended up just sanding 2mm off the back of the strat neck and now I have less trouble. It was an easy enough job, and I'm no luthier.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 AM

I used to switch between a LP Classic and my JEM and I could tell a difference for sure. It wasn't anything that I couldn't deal with, but its more than just the thickness that is changing. The scale length of the two guitars is also different. The RG has a longer scale length which I can feel when I'm stretching for wider intervals or more "complicated" chord forms. The LP was easier on some of those reaches, but the neck was still too restricted for me, especially in the upper frets. I just fell in love with the all-access neck of the JEM. So, I ditched the LP and now my hardtail duties are covered by a RGA321. There is not much difference between that and the JEM at all....probably the most noticeable thing is the larger frets on the RGA....but that's not even something I notice now that I've had it awhile.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

haha. I actually just found out the neck is a regular standard les paul neck. That makes me breath easier.

I had a standard once before. Shouldn't be too hard switching between.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 AM

I've never had any real problems switching between different guitars at all. In one band I play with I'll go between a LP with a 60's neck, strat deluxe with FR and thick 70's neck, RG 7 string with an edge and 12 string accoustic.

I think if, like me, you're using a certain guitar for a certain song you'll learn the song (or at least practice it) on that guitar and just get used to it. I know I'll be stuffed the next time I play Balls to The Wall on a 6 string.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM

I regularly switch between a wizard on an RG520, an SZ520FM, a Fender Roadhouse strat and a Fernandes Ravelle. I have no issues with the different profiles and scale lengths, in fact it helps me get into a different mindset for different playing styles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode