who uses an RG for somthing OTHER than metal or punk? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

who uses an RG for somthing OTHER than metal or punk?

im curious to see who has RGs that are playing NON thrash music through NON metal amps. I really like my 570 but im re-pickuping it for my classic 50. im just kinda curious what verious people use thier RGs for and what mods they have made to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 12:34 AM

I use my RGT for everything, blues, metal and country. However it doesn't cover every tone I want, so I do use other guitars as well. I mainly use my fender cyber-twin, its perfect for blues/country and I use it for most of my lead work for metal.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 01:05 AM

I have several RG's(3-520's,1-570ex,1-550).My bands music is hardrock,touching on everything from jazz,blues,fusion to metal.I use a triaxis and am able to dial up whatever I need.As far as mods,I took all the necks down to almost bare wood(light coat of sealer),added lo-pros,And dimarzio's(bridge only).I mostly play the 520's(like the mahogony).I have evo's in two and a tz in the other.I am liking the tz best,it seems alittle more well rounded tonally with a bit more clarity for this body wood.In the ex I have a tz.Playing through all tube gear I'm preferring the tz overall for my style.I know it's heresy but I am preferring The 520's to most jems I have owned(looks aside) and I have owned 6 different ones.A mahogony jem would be the ultimate.I think the rg's are as versatile as any guitar out there(except piezo equiped).I may have to convert a 520 to a jem(I always miss the handy carrying handle).Has anyone tried a steves special in mahogony?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 01:57 AM

jazzin'

yo- i got them smoooooth Infinity p/u's in my RG, and when i flick the switch to the port side, i get some mighty mellow tone-age.... i have a couple of CD's with "backing tracks" of jazz and blues, so when i got them a spinnin', it gets me a playin'.... just turn down the gain to 1/2 and lower the EQ in the middle and high end...

-H/M-
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 03:09 AM

i use my rg for everything, mainly cuz its the only good guitar i have. i use it from korn like riffs to church worship music ( i play for the youth group) to trying... heavy emphasis on trying to shred < me trying to shred
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

lol dylan, i cant shread either, its about using enough different distortion pedals at once and looking so mean that people think you are
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 04:31 PM

I use my RG for those hard to reach spots on my ceiling when painting, and they're also excellent back-scratchers with the pointy headstock.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

dont even tell me youre a jem fan......lol
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ Beetle
dont even tell me youre a jem fan......lol
No, actually all I have as far as Ibanezes right now are a SC420 and an RG421.

No Jems, but eventually I'll add a DBK to the lot.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

:O
my bad. So i guess you wont be giving your SC420 away anytime soon eh?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 01:32 PM

The handle on the jem makes it a MUCH more efficient backscratcher

John W
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ Beetle
:O
my bad. So i guess you wont be giving your SC420 away anytime soon eh?
Sorry, no chance of that ever happening. It's one of the best guitars I've ever owned.

It plays like a dream.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john w
The handle on the jem makes it a MUCH more efficient backscratcher

John W
true, that's why I hope to aquire a DBK one day.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
It's one of the best guitars I've ever owned.

It plays like a dream.
now youre just rubbing it in
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdr
I have several RG's(3-520's,1-570ex,1-550).My bands music is hardrock,touching on everything from jazz,blues,fusion to metal.I use a triaxis and am able to dial up whatever I need.As far as mods,I took all the necks down to almost bare wood(light coat of sealer),added lo-pros,And dimarzio's(bridge only).I mostly play the 520's(like the mahogony).I have evo's in two and a tz in the other.I am liking the tz best,it seems alittle more well rounded tonally with a bit more clarity for this body wood.In the ex I have a tz.Playing through all tube gear I'm preferring the tz overall for my style.I know it's heresy but I am preferring The 520's to most jems I have owned(looks aside) and I have owned 6 different ones.A mahogony jem would be the ultimate.I think the rg's are as versatile as any guitar out there(except piezo equiped).I may have to convert a 520 to a jem(I always miss the handy carrying handle).Has anyone tried a steves special in mahogony?
I just bought a 520, and am waiting for it to come. How were the stock pickups in it. Can you comment more about the guitar(I actually have a thread about this ). And, I was considering dropping the JPM pickup combo into it. I think a Steve's Special would kick absolute ass in the mahogany bodied 520.

Tags
air norton , backing track , distortion pedal , pickup combo , pointy headstock , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode