Who Uses RG's For.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Who Uses RG's For....

Who uses RG's for blues, Jazz or other typical music. I once heard a guy playing a Jazz Show with a RG with Duel Paf Pro's sounded good. Anyone else use them in band setting for non-rock styles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 AM

Reviews: 13
Re: Who Uses RG's For....

Guilty. All of the above.

I use RG 520s fitted with PAF Pros and FREDs for Blues, Jazz, alternative as well as the obvious rock standards.

-Wolfram
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 AM

I use my RG for other non-shred activities alot. I like the single pick-up and the 2nd p-up position, too. It's a great workhorse.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Reviews: 2

I'm about to possibly join an established band that plays top 40 type stuff and use my RG for that. Sure my soul hurts but money will be nice. Haha.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM

I'm really fascinated by the relationship between how an instrument, especially electric guitar, looks v. how it sounds.

Les Paul himself uses his own signature guitar to play jazz. (Which reminds me, Les is not only still alive, but an active, gigging musician. I gotta go see him play soon.)

But you know what I'm talkin' about, yeah? It's like how actors get typecast. The Strat for blues, RGs for hair metal, semi-hollows for classic rock, etc. etc.

Most guitars are pretty versatile and some awesome things result when artists use them in new ways. Have a listen to Rodrigo y Gabriela and you will be blown away by Led Zep and Metallica tunes on nylon-string acoustic guitar.

Peace

Mike
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Reviews: 4

I use my RG3QM for country, chicken picken, and folk and blues. Its equipped with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and a Bill Lawrence USA 500XL in the neck. My main use is for NuMetal and just straight face melting burnout riffs. Its beautiful too.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Has anyone of you ever see a German folk music show? Those guitar-posers use heavy metal guitars only. There´s even this folk boy group that use PGMs. I allways ask myself why they don`t use suitable instruments that look more traditional like Strats or Teles. But it is quite funny to see sombody performing playback music that makes your toe nails curl up with a shredder's dream guitar.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 03:56 PM

im not a shredder by ANY means, but i just like the way RGs feel. To me its a higher quality guitar than most of whats out there in its price range. Its very versatile, especially if you are able to tap the humbuckers. on a side note, i use a 94 MIM Telecaster Special for mostly everything. ha ha. Hendrix to Lamb of God all on one crazy Tele. It has a stock Fender humbucker in the neck and i put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails humbucker in the bridge with a 5 way switch for coil taps and whatnot. i agree that the look of a guitar should not dictate where its used...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanic View Post
Has anyone of you ever see a German folk music show? Those guitar-posers use heavy metal guitars only. There´s even this folk boy group that use PGMs. I allways ask myself why they don`t use suitable instruments that look more traditional like Strats or Teles. But it is quite funny to see sombody performing playback music that makes your toe nails curl up with a shredder's dream guitar.
i saw the first time a jem lng in a slagershow!! then i was totally shocked! a big fat guy with a rediculous beard plays that guitar without doing anything!plays a extreme colloured guitar that i never forgot since then!i know for sure he cant play a note on any guitar!

i still hate that guy~!and love the guitar still!

have fun
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

Played my 570 in church this weekend. Middle pup mostly. It takes the edge off the gain and drops the guitar back in the mix. Then neck/bridge for solos and it jumps right out.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM

i believe an RG can be used to play alot of mellow stuff

only in very rare instances is a guitar not suited for the music, with the
exception of maybe jazz box feedback and some others

its all in the fingers and other stylistic techniques used imo
im sure bbking could still do his thing on a jem, or a jp6, or any other shred guitar.
guitars can do everything, thick or thin necks. just takes practice and getting used to...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Played my 570 in church this weekend. Middle pup mostly. It takes the edge off the gain and drops the guitar back in the mix. Then neck/bridge for solos and it jumps right out.
Thats cool, My church has a praise band, and I would love to play in it...but its bluegrass.

Tags
blues , jazz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

are there any differences between lower end rg's and prestige

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode