Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Who Uses RG's For....

Tags
blues jazz
2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  callen3615 
#1 ·
Who uses RG's for blues, Jazz or other typical music. I once heard a guy playing a Jazz Show with a RG with Duel Paf Pro's sounded good. Anyone else use them in band setting for non-rock styles?

#5 ·
I'm really fascinated by the relationship between how an instrument, especially electric guitar, looks v. how it sounds.

Les Paul himself uses his own signature guitar to play jazz. (Which reminds me, Les is not only still alive, but an active, gigging musician. I gotta go see him play soon.)

But you know what I'm talkin' about, yeah? It's like how actors get typecast. The Strat for blues, RGs for hair metal, semi-hollows for classic rock, etc. etc.

Most guitars are pretty versatile and some awesome things result when artists use them in new ways. Have a listen to Rodrigo y Gabriela and you will be blown away by Led Zep and Metallica tunes on nylon-string acoustic guitar.

Peace

Mike

#7 ·
Has anyone of you ever see a German folk music show? Those guitar-posers use heavy metal guitars only. There´s even this folk boy group that use PGMs. I allways ask myself why they don`t use suitable instruments that look more traditional like Strats or Teles. But it is quite funny to see sombody performing playback music that makes your toe nails curl up with a shredder's dream guitar.

#9 ·
i saw the first time a jem lng in a slagershow!! then i was totally shocked! a big fat guy with a rediculous beard plays that guitar without doing anything!plays a extreme colloured guitar that i never forgot since then!i know for sure he cant play a note on any guitar!

i still hate that guy~!and love the guitar still!

have fun

#8 ·
im not a shredder by ANY means, but i just like the way RGs feel. To me its a higher quality guitar than most of whats out there in its price range. Its very versatile, especially if you are able to tap the humbuckers. on a side note, i use a 94 MIM Telecaster Special for mostly everything. ha ha. Hendrix to Lamb of God all on one crazy Tele. It has a stock Fender humbucker in the neck and i put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails humbucker in the bridge with a 5 way switch for coil taps and whatnot. i agree that the look of a guitar should not dictate where its used...

#11 ·
i believe an RG can be used to play alot of mellow stuff

only in very rare instances is a guitar not suited for the music, with the
exception of maybe jazz box feedback and some others

its all in the fingers and other stylistic techniques used imo
im sure bbking could still do his thing on a jem, or a jp6, or any other shred guitar.
guitars can do everything, thick or thin necks. just takes practice and getting used to...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.