Whot do you think...? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Whot do you think...?

I have the chance of buying what seems to be a 2001 RG520QSTB...I'm quite excited because the guitar is in a good condition, chips here and there but nothing significant, trem condition is really good as far as cosmetics goes, didn't check the knife edges yet, well, all in all the guitar is ok at a fair price (at least in my country). Also quite excited because this would be my first Japan made Ibanez, it has an Edge whereas my S470 has a LoTRSII (yuck, I know) and my RG320 has an EdgeIII (not THAT bad), and it's made of mahogany, contrary to the majority of RGs which are basswood which I really don't like that much.
Thing is, I know you all have WAY MORE experience and knowledge about MIJ Ibanezes than I'll ever have, so...WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS MODEL IN PARTICULAR? IS IT WORTH IT? Please keep in mind that I'll spend 650 dolars and I almost can't buy anything here in Argentina for that money that wouldn't be from Korea or (worst) Indonesia...
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/2000/00009.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 PM

Re: Whot do you think...?

This model is as good as any RG-5XX model. It is a little different in the wood type and lack of a middle pickup, but I like those differences myself. Only you can know if it is a good deal given your country's economics. I have no idea if 650 dollars is a lot for a guitar in Argentina.

Last edited by moebius; 04-16-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: bad spelling strikes again.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 PM

go fot it!!
if it's gonna be your very first japanese made Ibanez, then you will never regret it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

No, it really isn't, you can't even think of buying a new MIJ RG here for less than 1200/1500 :S and when it comes to used guitars they are almost never sold by less than 1000, so it's quite a good deal, and also because the guitar it's in fair condition. Favourite wood for body is mahogany and I really really like the 5 position switching in the 2 humbuckers RGs...I'm buying this baby tomorrow I think...

Oh, 2 more things, first, sorry about the title..."Whot"? I wander whAt does that mean...hehe and second, our currency is 3 to 1 with dollars, so I have to pay triple here...just an input so you get the picture of what kind of a sh***y position I'm in when it comes to buying gear...that's why 650 dollars doesn't sound like a bad deal to me hehehehe

thanks for the quick response man!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Alright, back from my friend's store...just paid him 200 dollars in advance for the guitar, rest is coming in 2/3 weeks hehehehehe I'M WAY TOO EXCITED ABOUT THIS! HAHAHAHAH as you said psycho, first MIJ Ibanez, I think I'll never regret this hehehehe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM

here's the story :
RG 520 QS TK was my very first 'quality' MIJ Ibanez, why i said 'quality'? because I had to use RG 250 MIJ before, and it sucks, but still better comparing to any MIK RG.
The 520 stays with me from 2000-2007, just sold it last year in the same condition just like when I brought her home brand new.
Sad? yes. it was sad, but my 'politics' do not allow me to have dot inlay guitars anymore.
funny huh?

there is nothing wrong with 520 QS , the neck is the fastest one, it has deeper tone than any basswood RGs. 5 way switching on H-H config is just awesome, again... you will never regret it!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM

You wont regret it!

I love my 98 520QS TB. Definately one of my favorite RG's & no doubt it will be one of yours too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 PM

I have 2 RG 520QS's. One is dark blue(which I am stripping to natural) and the other is dark brown/black. I think these are killer RG's. I own or have owned RG550's,RG570's,PGM and now the RG520QS. I am really liking the tone from the mahogany and I think they will sound better with a pickup upgrade.

They sound pretty good as they are but I was wondering what pickups to put in each one.

By the way, for some reason the blue one weighs about 8.25 lbs , and the black one weighs 9.25!

I have a brand new Tone Zone and a brand new PAF Pro that I am thinking of putting in the blue one. And I have a Rio Grande BBQ (bridge) and a Screamin' Demon (neck) for the black one.

I have heard good and bad about the Tone Zone in mahogany.
Mostly all good about the PAF Pro (in anything). I have the BBQ's in a few of my guitars(basswood,ash,alder) already as they sound great.
Any recommendations,thoughts?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll put Evo2 in mine, don't know about the neck yet...I just LOVE the fact that it is mahogany! I'm so happy w/this guitar man! I'll post pictures as soon as I have her w/me
I also think that I'll do a custom paint job on this one, the only thing I don't like about her are the chips and dings here and there so it will be a great way to solve that. Last week I took my RG320 to the luthier for a setup and spent an hour talking to Luis (the luthier brother), who is responsible for this two RCB beauties (and also for his Donnie):
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73853
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74933
and to see what a cool humble guy he is after drooling all over my pc for those two guitars just made up my mind towards putting the guitar in his hands for making it unique. I just have to save money now hahahahha
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 PM

I put duncan SH 5 custom on the bridge and SH1N jazz on the neck.
I'm pretty happy with them both, even the SH 5 on the bridge add more bass to 'already' bassy mahogany wood, in clean channel, it was awesome, the tone is deep and mean. but in full distortion maybe you need to adjust the bass level on your amp.
the jazz neck, is perfect in any way for a neck pickup.

Tags
dot inlay , neck pickup , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode