This is why Agile is cool: affordable multi-scale - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

This is why Agile is cool: affordable multi-scale

http://www.rondomusic.com/pendulum7nat.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/pendulum7bloodb.html

Unbelievable. I guess I'm late to the party for this one. Can anyone else name an affordable multi-scale guitar? That's usually the domain of very expensive boutique instruments.

EDIT: heh, just realized that this is a seven string guitar. Oops. Oh well. If mods wanna move this, feel free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Re: This is why Agile is cool: affordable multi-scale

Cool. I love Rondo.

Fanned fret 9 string bass is in order for under $300 though. And the old SX headstocks back, too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Want.

I have an Agile AL-2500 Les Paul copy, from before they changed the horn shape (damned C&D orders). It's not perfect, but it gives my '75 Standard a run for the money.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Reviews: 18

agiles have some amazing spec's for the price, but the biggest and most serious downfall in my opinion are the frets.. The frets on the 7 strings are so tiny, that your fingers drag on the fretboard when bending. It really makes the whole guitar feel cheap. I'm not sure why guitar companies skimp out on the frets, especially considering the neck/frets are the most important thing. After-all, we use our hands to play guitar! The dean RC7X had the exact same problem.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

So, those extra jumbo frets on the pendulum aren't the same sized extra jumbos you'd find say, on the Lynch Kamikaze? I guess I thought that any fret wire referred to "jumbo" or "extra jumbo" would all be the same size.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:47 AM

Reviews: 2

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
So, those extra jumbo frets on the pendulum aren't the same sized extra jumbos you'd find say, on the Lynch Kamikaze? I guess I thought that any fret wire referred to "jumbo" or "extra jumbo" would all be the same size.
Nah, theres well over 30 different kinds. Jacksons 'jumbo' fretwire is tall and wide, the fretwire on an ESP is what most companies would call 'Medium tall' - as tall as a jumbo or just below, but thinner.

Personally though, I've never had any real preferences for fret size. small fretwire has never been a big issue for me, and even on guitars with huge frets, the thing that makes the most difference in the feel is how clean the fretboard is and whether its oiled. Its easy to find a bedroom shredder who's never picked up a cloth to clean his before, and no matter how expensive the guitar, if the fretboard is crusted up it feels like junk.

On the other hand, I've played some guitars with tiny, miniscule frets, and clean boards, and they've felt great! I've actually before now considered getting a new neck made for one of my cheap guitars with tiny frets, because the advantage with thinner frets is more precise intonation. As a wide fret wears down, the intonation point moves aver so slightly. You see some luthiers who put jumbos on the lower frets where intonation is more forgiving, and thinner frets on the high registers to keep the guitar more in tune.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Reviews: 6

Jeez, I have a hard enough time with 6 strings. Adding one, then making it multiscale? Yikes!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 PM

Reviews: 4

How does the intonation usually end up on something like that? I've wondered the same thing on fanned fretted basses too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:33 PM

fanned frets are super comfortable. If there was an affordable multi scale trem, i'd be in heaven.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode