Why are all RG prestige necks so thin? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Why are all RG prestige necks so thin?

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a random post.

I have been wondering if anyone has any idea why all the prestige RG series have the wafer thin necks?

I have the Iron Label RGIT20FE and I love the neck (nitro), I also have a few older JDM RG models that have slightly thicker necks then the newer prestige's. I just recently sold a poisoned pumpkin RG as I found the neck just to thin in comparison to the nitro neck.

The reason I bring this up is I thought I found the perfect "next" axe in the RG652 until I saw the neck specs (17mm 1st - 19mm 12th). I just find it a little disappointing that basically all the current prestige and J custom models have the same neck. I really love Ibanez and want to get another prestige but basically the only models with what I would call "normal thin" neck are the premium and Iron label series.

Am I the only one who finds this frustrating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:19 AM

Re: Why are all RG prestige necks so thin?

I'd guess you never met the wizard prestige HP neck, which is rounder and thicker.

It's available in RG 2XXXZ and RG 1XXXZ series.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:43 AM

i think the current prestige necks (super wizard hp) are still thick. On specs they are thin, but they have a little more meat on the side profile.

And i'm comparing to the super wizard necks of the jem7dbk
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:11 AM

The original run jem necks are pretty thick
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a random post.

I have been wondering if anyone has any idea why all the prestige RG series have the wafer thin necks?

I have the Iron Label RGIT20FE and I love the neck (nitro), I also have a few older JDM RG models that have slightly thicker necks then the newer prestige's. I just recently sold a poisoned pumpkin RG as I found the neck just to thin in comparison to the nitro neck.

The reason I bring this up is I thought I found the perfect "next" axe in the RG652 until I saw the neck specs (17mm 1st - 19mm 12th). I just find it a little disappointing that basically all the current prestige and J custom models have the same neck. I really love Ibanez and want to get another prestige but basically the only models with what I would call "normal thin" neck are the premium and Iron label series.

Am I the only one who finds this frustrating?
The simple answer is that the very, very thin necks are regarded as a selling point by Ibanez' marketing guys who have worked out that they sell more guitars in that price bracket with that profile neck, so continue to do so.

Those same guys have probably also worked out it's not cost effective to sell the same guitar with a different neck profile for the number of additional units they would shift.

Simple market research and economics really
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I'd guess you never met the wizard prestige HP neck, which is rounder and thicker.

It's available in RG 2XXXZ and RG 1XXXZ series.
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately being in Australia we don't really see those models, the only prestige models I have seen in stores seem to have the super wizard neck.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
The simple answer is that the very, very thin necks are regarded as a selling point by Ibanez' marketing guys who have worked out that they sell more guitars in that price bracket with that profile neck, so continue to do so.

Those same guys have probably also worked out it's not cost effective to sell the same guitar with a different neck profile for the number of additional units they would shift.

Simple market research and economics really
Yea very true, I just wish they had the thicker necks available in the prestige, to me the nitro neck is that perfect mix of thin/flat fretboard radius without been really flat on the back of the neck.

I think that's what kills it for me, if there is nothing to rest your thumb on, I to get cramps while doing legato stuff if the neck is to flat on the back.

I will go and try the 652fx and see how it feels, might not feel as thin as the specs suggest.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 06:15 AM

Reviews: 2

Simply put man, hi end Ibanez are made for shredders or virtuosos. You need any advantage you can utilize when playing at that level, and for a 6 stringer a thin D profile like ESP and Ibanez make movement faster, in the same way that if the shortest distance between 2 points idea is applied in a physicist way, the closer the strings are together (aka the shorter/less wide string spacing gives a lil more speed), same way the closer you can keep your fingers to the strings without touching it but ready to fret at any time, its the same with the profile.

Now, idk how old you are man, but 80's was about PLAYING, and now its become how big and how many strings can you get, like as if they were muscle cars.

Anyway man, yeah, simply put: they are meant to shred , HELL YEAH!!!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:36 AM

One of the main reasons people buy an Ibanez guitar is because they want a super thin neck. History has shown repeatedly that models with thicker necks aren't as successful.

If you want a thicker neck on a Prestige-level guitar, a Jem is a good choice. There are usually plenty of these for sale on the used market.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Yeah, and avoid most 90s ibby as they had super thin necks. That being said, the viper profile on some of the older jcustoms is pretty thick.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Yeah, and avoid most 90s ibby as they had super thin necks. That being said, the viper profile on some of the older jcustoms is pretty thick.
Not aware of Viper profiles on any JC's but good point regardless. There are quite a few with Ultra profiles. I had an '04 RG8520 with an Ultra neck. Those guitars aren't super hard to find on the used market.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Besides the JEM you can also try a JS model, one of the most comfortable necks Ibanez have IMO.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 07:11 PM

Reviews: 2

IIRC, all of the Prestige RGT's from '02-'04 had ultra necks as well.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLD STALLYNS View Post
Simply put man, hi end Ibanez are made for shredders or virtuosos. You need any advantage you can utilize when playing at that level, and for a 6 stringer a thin D profile like ESP and Ibanez make movement faster, in the same way that if the shortest distance between 2 points idea is applied in a physicist way, the closer the strings are together (aka the shorter/less wide string spacing gives a lil more speed), same way the closer you can keep your fingers to the strings without touching it but ready to fret at any time, its the same with the profile.

Now, idk how old you are man, but 80's was about PLAYING, and now its become how big and how many strings can you get, like as if they were muscle cars.

Anyway man, yeah, simply put: they are meant to shred , HELL YEAH!!!
I see what your saying, but that logic has a few flaws. Look at Allan Holdsworth or Brett Garsed, both epic legato players. The necks are very very different between their models, Allan's necks are massive on his Carvin, Brett's are not super wide and more traditional feeling, I just recently sold his sig ESP as I didn't really like the overly lacquered feel that ESP have, but it was a quick neck to play on. Even JP's old Ibanez have a rounder neck I believe, similar to his musicman shape.

Been super flat and thin doesn't have anything to do with how you play, but what feel you like. The only guitars you literally can't shred on are guitars with really really chunky necks, but even then look at Yngwie shredding on a strat.

My point was just I find it odd that basically all the J custom (from what I have seen here) and 90% of the new prestige range has the thinnest possible neck, when in reality having a neck that's a bit rounder on the back or a few mm thicker isn't going to slow people down, its just a comfort thing.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
One of the main reasons people buy an Ibanez guitar is because they want a super thin neck. History has shown repeatedly that models with thicker necks aren't as successful.

If you want a thicker neck on a Prestige-level guitar, a Jem is a good choice. There are usually plenty of these for sale on the used market.
I think you're 100% correct. I have played a the Jem70 and the neck on that was really nice, haven't played the proper jem's though.

When I say "thicker" I'm not talking like strat or anything substantial, I'm talking pretty much the same size as the nitro necks on the ironlabel guitars, which have the similar specs as the wizard 3 necks I believe.

At the moment I am very happy with my Iron Label but I really miss the quality of the Prestige RG1520a that I just sold, there really is a noticeable difference between the premium and prestige, I have had about 3-4 premiums since last year and have sold them all as they just didn't really do it for me quality wise.

I am eagerly waiting on the 2015 lineup to see whats around. I'm looking for a fixed bridge prestige which limits the range quite substantially. That's another thing I wish Ibanez would do, more fixed bridge RG's

Tags
necks , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in