Why is Basswood considered low end wood when it is on great ibanez guitars??? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM

Re: Why is Basswood considered low end wood when it is on great ibanez guitars???

The only problem I've had with basswood is that the tremolo stud anchor holes have widened on some of my guitars. I'll to repair them by filling in the gaps with superglue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Dee

Re: Why is Basswood considered low end wood when it is on great ibanez guitars???

Quote:
Originally Posted by choubix View Post
benn told that basswood what not very "good looking" so you dont see the veins of the wood. you wont find a basswood guitar with a sunburst finish.

Basswood can be good looking. See pic, although that's not your typical piece of basswood, I admit.

When it comes to amplified and especially distorted electric guitar, the wood isn't all that important. Us guitarists have been sold a myth for many years that the wood has a drastic effect on tone. It doesn't. With denser wood, the more of the fundamental of a note you'll hear. Also, sustain should be superior. With wood that's less dense, you'll hear more overtones to the note and sustain may not be as impressive. What has a far greater effect on tone is the pickups and the amplifier. And in my opinion, the neck and fretboard affect tone more than the body.

With acoustic instruments it's a different story. Wood types make a huge difference here.
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 2

I actually prefer mahogany, but Basswood rulz
post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 04:41 PM

The good thing with basswod: it's a lightweight...
you can play for hours and dont feel much discomfort...

really happy with my basswood guitars
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 PM

Anyone ever play Fender's Iron Mainden/Dave Murray Strat? It was the only strat they made out of Basswood. I always wondered how it played and sounded. No one at Fender even talks about it anymore lol. Must've not been that popular.
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Basswood can be good looking. See pic, although that's not your typical piece of basswood, I admit.

When it comes to amplified and especially distorted electric guitar, the wood isn't all that important. Us guitarists have been sold a myth for many years that the wood has a drastic effect on tone. It doesn't. With denser wood, the more of the fundamental of a note you'll hear. Also, sustain should be superior. With wood that's less dense, you'll hear more overtones to the note and sustain may not be as impressive. What has a far greater effect on tone is the pickups and the amplifier. And in my opinion, the neck and fretboard affect tone more than the body.

With acoustic instruments it's a different story. Wood types make a huge difference here.
That's a sweet EBMM Bongo!
post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 07:07 PM

Basswood is NOT considered a low end wood! It is simply cheaper to source than timber like Mahogany, or Spruce, or Figured Maple.

Alder, which Fender have been using since 1959 or so, is not markedly more expensive than Basswood. Alder is not much harder than Basswood, and in most cases actually doesn't have a lot more visible grain either.

Don't confuse timber cost with tone quality - they are not the same, or for that matter even related to each other!
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 07:18 PM

^^^^
IMO Alder creates the best tone for sustain, where Basswood seems rather dull in some instances. EVH, Vai, Nuno are tones I prefer, and all use Alder
post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvedmb View Post
^^^^
IMO Alder creates the best tone for sustain, where Basswood seems rather dull in some instances. EVH, Vai, Nuno are tones I prefer, and all use Alder
You can't forget that Basswood was used to make a couple of Eddie Van Halen's signature guitars (Wolfgang, etc.), and that Vai used Basswood guitars almost exclusively for years.

Some of steve's Basswood guitars include;

- Every JEM ever made before the 7VWH
- The Charvel Green Meanie
- The Universe series
- The Tom Anderson V.A.I (Visual Assault Instrument)
- Both of the triple necked Heart JEMs
- Most, if not all of the Performance guitars

BTW, EVH's "Frankenstrat" had a body made from Ash, not Alder.

Don't totally disregard Basswood.
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 08:17 PM

People that spout all the differences in wood types need to get a grip.One is not better than an other just different.As long as they sound good thats all I care about.Hell I have an import Kramer (86) striker with an rsguitarworks electronics upgrade kit and it has tons of tone and its a plywood body.
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 AM

2nd to Mahogany, ya basswood is great
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:52 AM

Smile Re: Why is Basswood considered low end wood when it is on great ibanez guitars???

Try simple test: knock on basswood body (like you would knock on a door) and non-basswood body (let's say ash). Basswood sounds like a cardboard, no resonance at all, dull. Another test: pick a spot on guitar that is not visible (like below pickguard, trem cavity and try to stick a nail in the wood. Basswood won't resist too much.
Alder is not too stronger that basswood, I agree, but is stronger and sounds better.
Anyway, basswood is probably not *that* bad (after all, I ordered RG2550 last week), but I can't think of worst body wood used nowadays...wait, I can: poplar....\
Cheers
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
Try simple test: knock on basswood body (like you would knock on a door) and non-basswood body (let's say ash). Basswood sounds like a cardboard, no resonance at all, dull. Another test: pick a spot on guitar that is not visible (like below pickguard, trem cavity and try to stick a nail in the wood. Basswood won't resist too much.
Alder is not too stronger that basswood, I agree, but is stronger and sounds better.
Anyway, basswood is probably not *that* bad (after all, I ordered RG2550 last week), but I can't think of worst body wood used nowadays...wait, I can: poplar....\
Cheers
lol. how about plugging the guitar in and playing it? i don't get these 'tests' people come up with to try to prove so called wood superiority/inferiority. sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

the best way to judge a guitar is as a whole. as stated before, body wood is a only a small part of what ultimately contributes to a guitars tone. unless you have 2 identical guitars made of different body woods, you really have no way of differentiating the difference in tone between the wood, electronics, neck construction and general build quality between 2 guitars. the 'dull' or 'lifeless' qualities you attribute to the wood could actually be because of the bridge material, nut material, quality of the neck wood, pickups, superior/inferior electronics, etc.

i can't believe people still slag basswood when it is preferred by high profile players like satriani, gilbert and evh and is in many high end model guitars that sound amazingly good.

i guess some will never learn...
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
the best way to judge a guitar is as a whole. as stated before, body wood is a only a small part of what ultimately contributes to a guitars tone. unless you have 2 identical guitars made of different body woods, you really have no way of differentiating the difference in tone between the wood, electronics, neck construction and general build quality between 2 guitars.
I totally agree about that, for me the most sound comes from good pickups. But we're talking about wood only here. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I like my instrument to be rock solid, and I like materials that are proven to be good. Don't wanna make enemies out of this
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Vendor

Yea, 20 years of high profile players playing basswood sure hasn't proven anything to me!

Tags
alder bodied , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , charvel green meanie , eddie van halen , electric guitar , guitar players , ibanez guitars , john suhr , mahogany guitars , neck joint , paul gilbert , paul gilberts , signature guitar , squier strat , steve vai , sunburst finish , swamp ash , triple neck , uli jon roth , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode