Why is Basswood considered low end wood when it is on great ibanez guitars??? - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 AM

Re: Why is Basswood considered low end wood when it is on great ibanez guitars???

"I can't think of worst body wood used nowadays...wait, I can: poplar...." originally posted by bancika

My thought...what about agathis. Isn't it a southeast asia pine species?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Re: Why is Basswood considered low end wood when it is on great ibanez guitars???

I've played good basswood guitars and crappy ones, just like with any other wood. Tonally basswood is different than others and I personally am not that into it.
post #63 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM

Someone said (corecctly) there's basswood, and there's basswood! I have 2 20-year old Ibanez's with no cracks at all! Soundwise, they're great to me. I had some mahagony guitars that were sparklingly sounding while my RG has more bass than most strats, telecasters and any alder guitars.
post #64 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM

What's sorta disconcerting about a basswood body guitar, is the 'cheap feel' they have , after you've been jamming on a US LP or strat...not to say they are cheap, but in comparison they do feel softer, lighter and less.....substantial.
post #65 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 PM

still got about 35 guitars and about 15 of this old non aanj RG s series as 450 750 760 770 770 dx and usa custom grafic from 87 to 93 , they all get them original edge or lo pro edge on it and none of this got this studs spacing enlargement but some get this neck pocket crack but its not only about wood , this crack can easily appear by bending the neck with your arms and not only on basswood, brutal climax variation as an hot studio session followed by a cold winter when you get back home guitar in your hand can do the rest of the work for this kind of cracks and you re all right on this damn shipping result crack, its just about guitar construction as neckthru or setneck guitars never care of this problem
good care of the guitar make everything and this also right for paintchip, bump your basswood guitar and you ll get your paintchip as well as any woody guitar,
Ask to marty mc fly to bump his DMC delorean timemachine made of stainless steel with a hammer and do it yourself on your shiny painty anybrand car ... you wont be happy with your new chip but dont call Doc Brown as he get a new bump too on the delorean...a bump is a bump dont dream just take care...

about sounding there are purist lowz as i am when i say ''nothing better than olds RGs'' and they tell you '' men this his shi,,, cheap wood you want , buy a guitar made of high end alder or any idontknow supposed high end wood'' ...but get any cheaper squier series and put some texas special custom shop pickups [as i did they re a long time ago] and get something really sounding [did compare a this time with a strat standard, i did just get something better]

got this old rg 450 from 92 all original V series pickups on it and his original edge trem compare to my minty jackson ke2 kelly usa made of alder, duncan ready on...can told you 450 winner on any point maybe except on overall finish quality...
men i can tell you Kelly still stand in case from his product date 2003 [get it on 2004] as i never found more interest to play with it, getting 8 time lower price and really good sounding guitars....
believe me i did the same with my really rare gibson 87 LP custom lite... shes beautifull with is pinky/purple colors and sound really good but got some Ibanez lp custom or standars lawsuit series or Greco LP standar and custom made of i dontknow wood and probably basswood they did sound as good as Gibson and get they re own soundfeeling

SO dont bother of the wood as you can found a good plywood guitar too
take the guitar try it and you ll feel by yourself if pickups improvement gonna make difference.....
post #66 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

sure basswood isn't a "sexy" tonewood, but it's decent. Most of my Ibbies are basswood, and I've got no problem with them. Just for the record, AMC made the DeLoreans...

post #67 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
sure basswood isn't a "sexy" tonewood, but it's decent. Most of my Ibbies are basswood, and I've got no problem with them. Just for the record, AMC made the DeLoreans...
no no DMC [stand for delorean motors company]. i leave in paris and i only saw one a few years ago, probably a collector one because this car appears once a time in your life if you stand in france as DMC wasnt distributed and so AMC not too [or really really really limited imports] google it if youdont believe me , pretty sure you can found this info,,

but i though you remember AMC did a Movie star car too with the blue and flame garthmobile beeing an AMC pacer [yep yep also once a time here for this but i did 10 years ago]

anyway got this old square hell and shaktooth 570dx that i stripped of, as i got it twice and this one was like playless but get a huge 5 centimeters bump on the front and thinking of a paint project as my first one , maybe a back to the future project so if you get a good idea of what my BTTFUTURE grafic can be ...you ll be really helpfull as always get problem to be decided on materials things..it s maybe why i get so much guitars... so many colors and kind producted,,,
post #68 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Damn, got it mixed up with the Javelin...

post #69 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Yeah yeah woods in ELECTRIC SOLID guitars matter.......that's why acrylic jem sounds like..............acrylic lol
post #70 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 PM

got take a look on it and know it maybe through one of you tv/movies product
even i d never know this was named javelin and amc made ,, oh men i really wanted one of this end 60 s mid 70 s US muscle cars like you got there in usa, they re so common maybe for you but kind of different ''how to make car'' conception that we didnt get at this time, but this never been affordable about gas price at this time
thx for the discovered name of it
post #71 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl View Post
I agree with toshiro. I have a 20 year old RG that also has only a few paint chips (done by the original owner) and no neck joint cracks.
I own a 24 year old RG as well and no neck joint cracks, a few dings from former owner, it is much lighter than my'08 RG, but I absolutely love my old RG770DX
post #72 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:30 AM

As others said, basswood is cheap because there is a lot of it available, but that does not mean it is not good for making electric guitars.
IMHO, it is a balanced tonewood that can be used to build great guitars.
post #73 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 03:37 AM
Banned

IMHO bridge pup sounds best with basswood. My basswood guitar (Ibanez uv70p), is the the one I can shred with using only the bridge pup. On all others, neck pup feels better for shred. The closest to my uv70p is a plywood guitar I have (kramer 210), which is very heavy, ultra sustaining, and also mid-range focused. Basswood has the same or even better tonal characteristics while being much lighter in weight.
post #74 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 03:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
As others said, basswood is cheap because there is a lot of it available, but that does not mean it is not good for making electric guitars.
IMHO, it is a balanced tonewood that can be used to build great guitars.
hey bro, available in the USA you mean, not in our little corner named Greece
PS
τι Ibanez έχεις? τι μουσική παίζεις?
post #75 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:29 PM

This thread came back from the dead! I'll say that it all depends on the quality of basswood used, I've played a few guitars that were made of it (a few Ibanezes, and a MIJ Squier Strat) and I rather like it as far as a tonewood goes, it is similar to alder, but with out the "zing' on the high end. My only concern with basswood would be stud ovaling without locking studs like on a Edge Pro, but $45 and a visit to Ibanez Rules would fix that, and I doubt that most guitars with an Edge Pro have seen enough use to oval the studs out even a tiny bit.

Tags
alder bodied , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , charvel green meanie , eddie van halen , electric guitar , guitar players , ibanez guitars , john suhr , mahogany guitars , neck joint , paul gilbert , paul gilberts , signature guitar , squier strat , steve vai , sunburst finish , swamp ash , triple neck , uli jon roth , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode