Why buy prestige? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Why buy prestige?

Ok, before this thread gets shot down like the Malaysian plane, please read the full thing before replying...

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here has done something to substitute for buying a prestige, but made it of equal or greater quality/playability. For example, if I bought a new RG470 (the one with edge zero II, not edge III) and I fitted an original wizard neck, and good electonics, with the body, which already has a good trem, would it play just like my MIJ RG570?

Total Costs:

RG470 - $300 - 400
Dimarzio evolution set (hsh) - $200
Dimarzio pots: $12
New Caps: $5 - 10
original wizard neck - $150 - 200
Total: $667 - 822

New Rg652 - $1400 (+ possible pickup change)

So... What are you guys thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:21 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Why buy prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post
Ok, before this thread gets shot down like the Malaysian plane, please read the full thing before replying...

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here has done something to substitute for buying a prestige, but made it of equal or greater quality/playability. For example, if I bought a new RG470 (the one with edge zero II, not edge III) and I fitted an original wizard neck, and good electonics, with the body, which already has a good trem, would it play just like my MIJ RG570?

Total Costs:

RG470 - $300 - 400
Dimarzio evolution set (hsh) - $200
Dimarzio pots: $12
New Caps: $5 - 10
original wizard neck - $150 - 200
Total: $667 - 822

New Rg652 - $1400 (+ possible pickup change)

So... What are you guys thoughts?
I see no reason to shoot the thread down...... this is a good (if not overdone) topic of conversation.

As most everyone here knows, I'm a modder. As such, I fully support taking an average guitar and making all that you can of it. The problem I've found is that an RG470 will always be an RG470, no matter how much money you throw at it. It can be a phenomenal guitar and be just as good as your 570, but it will never be worth more than an average, stock 470.

What you can't do is compare even a HIGHLY modded RG470/570 to an RG652. The necks alone are just FAR too different to have a fair comparison.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:24 PM

......Another thing to think about is that, for the price range you came up with, anyone can EASILY find a Prestige RG that already has all the "go fast" parts your talking about, will probably look better aesthetically, and retain a lot more of the value you've put into it.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
......Another thing to think about is that, for the price range you came up with, anyone can EASILY find a Prestige RG that already has all the "go fast" parts your talking about, will probably look better aesthetically, and retain a lot more of the value you've put into it.
Yeah, I also think used would be the way to go. I'm not looking at buying right now (love my rg570 with orig wizard, edge, etc.) But I was wondering maybe for the future.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I also think used would be the way to go. I'm not looking at buying right now (love my rg570 with orig wizard, edge, etc.) But I was wondering maybe for the future.
Understandable. I would keep the 652/655 on you radar though. It's a whole new beast. IMO, the new prestige lines are the best guitars Ibanez has put out since the 2002 lineup.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:36 AM

Reviews: 21

I'm not sure the holes on an Original Wizard neck would line up with an RG470. Maybe I'm wrong I've never tried to swap necks between a Prestige and an Indo RG.
In general while Indos can be made better and are fun to play they'll never be as good as an off-the-shelf MIJ RG - especially the new ones. Also, IMO the barrel jack on a Prestige RG is way better than the cheap one on an Indo RG; and you'd have to fit the enormous route they use for the football jack to fit a barrel.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:01 AM

A lot of people are not comfortable buying online or buying used. That's the culprit here most likely. Personally I only buy new customs and don't see much of a point in buying regular production guitars new when you can get them in mint condition for like 30% or 40% off.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
A lot of people are not comfortable buying online or buying used. That's the culprit here most likely. Personally I only buy new customs and don't see much of a point in buying regular production guitars new when you can get them in mint condition for like 30% or 40% off.
It is very unnerving to shell out a lot of $$ for a guitar you have to order on line... but for the OP it's probably more about the total cost. As a hobby guitar player I cannot justify shelling out 4 figures for a guitar, so I try to get a nice used version of a higher end guitar that I'm after. You end up spending about what you would to hop up a lower end model to more desirable specs, but have a nicer quality guitar to show for it. Plus, in the long run it retains it's value better than a lower end model.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:06 PM

Reviews: 21

If you can save up for a used RG1550 or RG1570. You can find them used fairly inexpensively if you keep an eye out for deals. There's an RG1570 in Mirage Red that's been on the Bay for a while. Probably about due to drop price maybe.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
It is very unnerving to shell out a lot of $$ for a guitar you have to order on line... but for the OP it's probably more about the total cost. As a hobby guitar player I cannot justify shelling out 4 figures for a guitar, so I try to get a nice used version of a higher end guitar that I'm after. You end up spending about what you would to hop up a lower end model to more desirable specs, but have a nicer quality guitar to show for it. Plus, in the long run it retains it's value better than a lower end model.
Yeah the market is great for buyers now. You can even get older used JCustoms for like $1000 which is insane value.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Yeah the market is great for buyers now. You can even get older used JCustoms for like $1000 which is insane value.
Really? That's a crazy value. For the guy that brought up rg1550/70 I wouldn't go that route because I played a 1570 and I didn't like the prestige wizard neck as much as the wizard 1 on my 570. Neither did I like the v7 and v8 pickups as opposed to the v1 and v2 on mine. Another question is is the new prestige wizard different from the one on the 1570? I played a new rg652 and it was spectacular (still like wizard 1 most) but the one on the 1570 wasn't as good.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Really? That's a crazy value. For the guy that brought up rg1550/70 I wouldn't go that route because I played a 1570 and I didn't like the prestige wizard neck as much as the wizard 1 on my 570. Neither did I like the v7 and v8 pickups as opposed to the v1 and v2 on mine. Another question is is the new prestige wizard different from the one on the 1570? I played a new rg652 and it was spectacular (still like wizard 1 most) but the one on the 1570 wasn't as good.
The '05-'13 Prestige guitars are very much like the original MIJ's, in that, The feel of each can vary WIDELY from one guitar to the next. I've had more than my fair share of RG1xxx/2xxx guitars and can honestly say that they were all completely different guitars. some of them felt amazing to me, and some I couldn't stand to play. Like all previous MIJ's, the necks are hand finished after the rough CNC carve. If you see one in your price range AND has the features you like/need, do yourself the service of going to try it out.

FWIW, I'm a "square heel/Original Wizard" guy too. I currently have guitars from every year between '88 and '93, except '91 for some odd reason...... just haven't found one yet I guess. Even though I'm an "old school" guy I know that, as others have mentioned, there are some amazingly nice Prestige guitars out there that can often be bought for a steal. $400-$500 is NOT uncommon.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:30 AM

The thing that makes a guitar expensive is not as much the woods that are used, but it's the time that goes into each and every instrument, and the skill of the person working on it. The level of skill of a luthier working in the Fujigen factory is quite a bit higher then that of an indonesian based luthier. Meaning that you pretty much get a better playing, and better sounding instrument for a bit more money.

That being said, indonesian guitars are by no means bad! My RGD7421 with painkillers is a joy to play, and most definitely holds up for the money I spent on it
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchelonXIII View Post
The thing that makes a guitar expensive is not as much the woods that are used, but it's the time that goes into each and every instrument, and the skill of the person working on it. The level of skill of a luthier working in the Fujigen factory is quite a bit higher then that of an indonesian based luthier. Meaning that you pretty much get a better playing, and better sounding instrument for a bit more money.

That being said, indonesian guitars are by no means bad! My RGD7421 with painkillers is a joy to play, and most definitely holds up for the money I spent on it
That's absolutely true. My first RG was an Indo 350EXZ and I stuck Dimarzio evos in that baby. Really nice guitar as a gateway drug into the world of Ibanez. I now have some insane vintage ibbies that I scored for prices unimaginable in the US or Europe

I always prefer to dig into the vintage market for my used Ibanezes now. I'm always keeping my eyes out for deals, and I usually get some AWESOME deals because vintage ibanezes don't hold their value over here like they do in the US. Sure resale value is way less if I try to sell over here but I dont plan on selling specific models as they are just too rare and feel better than my prestiges (better than my 1550 and my now gone 2550 imo).

Tags
budget , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode