Why call Ibanez, "Ibeenhad"? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Why call Ibanez, "Ibeenhad"?

Even though I like my RG1570L prestige, I'm selling it simply because of the fact that I want to make the conversion to playing righty.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/wt...ack-98388.html
That's my link if your interested, btw.

So I've been commented on or have read here and there people saying "sorry you got a Ibeenhad." They'll also comment on the soft african basewood body like its a negative thing. Can someone enlighten me on this or are they just trolls? Although, I do know there are people that have tried the lower end RG170, RG3xx models and hated it cause the thing keeps going out of tune after 1 whammy pull but thats different compared to a Prestige I would think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 AM

Re: Why call Ibanez, "Ibeenhad"?

Looks like a fake, logo doesn't match for newer (I believe older had silvery, 2004ish?)and the image makes the trem look like a fake. Also the case isn't a newer prestige style case. But it could just be the way the pictures are taken, it is very hard to tell.

A lot of people also don't like cheaper models because the hardware and guitar itself isn't made up to the same standards as a prestige or J. Custom. As for the basswood, many don't like it and basswood is very soft so it likes to ding easily.

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 01-10-2010 at 11:53 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Yes, my model is a 04 if I recall correctly but I assure you it's not fake. The casing came with the guitar. So you're saying that people calling the brand Ibeenhad are people that haven't given the higher end models a good try?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Don't sweat it, it's just the 'hilarious' name people who don't like Ibanez use. Troll is probably the best way of putting it.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 PM

Reviews: 21

The only thing that strikes me as odd is that I don't see the walnut brown lines in the neck like you'd see on a Prestige Wizard. Maybe someone else can confirm this or if I'm out to lunch.
I'd roll with the punches. There's still a significantly large community of people who look down on the RG simply because it's not a Strat or LP, that it's too "metal", or simply not an "in-style" guitar to own. Or some nu metal guy might think the basswood is crap because you really "need" mahogany! In the 20 years or so that I've been playing RG's it's nothing new. It goes with the territory.
You have a lefty, so right off the bat it's going to be a tough sell as well. I'd hang in there, though. Hopefully you'll find that one person who is dying for a lefty RG Prestige. I'm sure you'll find at least one or two in NYC.
Good luck!!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I believe it's a name invented years ago by a notorious dealer who allegedly lost his Ibanez franchise. He came up with the name in order to persuade buyers to purchase from the lines he did stock.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the incite mike570
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I believe it's a name invented years ago by a notorious dealer who allegedly lost his Ibanez franchise. He came up with the name in order to persuade buyers to purchase from the lines he did stock.

yes, I remember this. Its a term I used to hear ALOT on the bc rich (handcrafted) forums
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:01 AM

Yeah, that certain dealer was quite notorious for his rants. What's funny, is now he's saying Ibanez is one of the better mid to high priced brands on the market, since they up the quality when they run a price increase. Not to mention he sells them now.

If it's a 2004, it won't have the walnut lines. Pre 2006 had 3 piece wizard prestige necks. It looks real, that's for sure. If I had the money, it would be mine.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM

"Ibeenhad" was coined in the days when Ibanez was making Strat and Les Paul copies that were so good, you couldn't tell the difference, and in some cases, the Gibson copies were BETTER than what Gibson was making at the time. \

The Ibanez guitars were of lower cost than the 'real things' and some retailers would try to pass of Ibanez as made by Fender and Gibson, hence those that didn't know better had 'been had', and if you were one of them, I Been Had!"

(None of this is true, but it's a good story. LOL) Sorry if I had you going there...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM

Actually, the part about the copies being so well built was true, but the rest isn't.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:14 AM

I remember the name "Ibenhad" from a Gibson print ad in the mid-80s.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
I remember the name "Ibenhad" from a Gibson print ad in the mid-80s.
I remember this as well. I remember seeing a full page ad in the guitar mags out in the mid to late 80's. Not sure if it was Gibson, but it had a bunch of names like Bender, Ibenhad, Kromer...stuff like that taking shots at the competition.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate View Post
I remember this as well. I remember seeing a full page ad in the guitar mags out in the mid to late 80's. Not sure if it was Gibson, but it had a bunch of names like Bender, Ibenhad, Kromer...stuff like that taking shots at the competition.
That's the one. It was for Gibson USA.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 PM

pretty guitar i think it was the first edgepro with the rollers and the neck I dont think would say prestige yet or have the lines on the wood ...

Tags
ibanez , ibeenhad , prestige , troll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode