why cant nu metal use 7 string guitars? - Page 13 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 09:20 AM

Reviews: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
I hate it when people bash other bands. Is it really all that important to you that others know your opinion of them?
Coming from you- that's very funny. If I was a betting man, I'd wager that slightly over half of your 3500 posts are statements of your love for The Tea Party. You manage to work your favorite obsession into every single post...so that's quite a funny statement coming from you.

The reason I explained the Korn thing was because that was the question he asked! Read his first post, and read my posts. I'm answering the questions asked. Now lots of people managed to throw this thread in a lot of different directions, but I'm answering the original post.

I know you love all this angst pop parading as hard rock- sorry to hurt your little feelings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 11:02 AM

A friend of mine once told me "Words can be daggers, but they can also be bandages." Yes, I talk about the Tea Party a lot, but that's because basically no one here has heard of them, and I think people would like their music (as it's very different from what they're probably currently listening to). When someone promotes a band, it's so that maybe someone else will find this band and fall in love with their music too. The Tea Party was really the first band to change my views of music. Made me realize it doesn't all have to be the same, and it doesn't all have to be what the masses want to hear. When you bash a band, or say that you hate them and no one should listen to them, it makes people who like the band either feel bad, or angry, and can even drive people away from this amazingly awesome message board. Just my thoughts...
post #183 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 04:41 PM

So when did it start being wrong to express personal opinion? Im a fan of the tea party myself, god forbid I try to tune my floyd guitars like that but still. Personal opinion's need to be expressed otherwise everything would be stale. If every band played the exact same way what would you like? You have to be able to listen to something bad to have something to like and so on and so forth. It just so happend that two hands musical taste falls in the category of anti-shred. So your taste are going to be the bashing points for alot of angry shredders. Well one day the circle will turn and shred will be popular again, of course it will have a new name and stuff and then youll be pissed at us all the time. So Ill see you then
post #184 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 09:20 PM

Ok, just to clarify:

-I listen to a lot of shred, among all these other styles. So I'm not anti-shred.

-I don't bash bands, I promote bands. I do this not to say "You should listen to this" but to recommend bands people might like, to give some variety. Bashing bands is pointless, as, yes, it gets your opinion out, but fans won't care, and no one wants to come to a message board where people insult their tastes.

-I don't want all bands to sound the same, did I mention how many styles of music I listen to?

-You don't have to listen to something bad to truly enjoy something good. I enjoy basically all music. How does this help your point?
post #185 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 03:13 AM

I for one am glad,however bad the band maybe,that rock has a mainstream influence again,i use the word rock as i dont really like to label stuff to much.
So 1.Its good to see bands playing there own tunes again 2.its great to see bands playing their own instruments 3.Its fantastic that these bands use their instruments and go out and play live,It dosent matter if you dont like a band and think they are untalented,lets face it,Fred durst has an ego the size of alaska and cant sing imho,but does it stop limp selling records? Nope not one jot,If everyone on this site,and there family and freinds boycotted Limp Bizkits,KoRn's,Staind's etc music and did'nt buy any of there records or go to thier shows,What differance would it make in the grand scheme of things ? None,A few thousand sales less will not affect many of todays popular bands.
As for the 7 string argument,It could also be...Why do you need to play a PRS to play *nu-metal* ? i see this argument continuing for some time yet,but remember dudes,Would you prefere to listen to the new generation of rock acts,Or as in the UK,get group after group of boy/girl bands that sound the same?
Yes i do own a 7 string,yes it is tuned down to A,I also have a LP standard which is tuned to C,and an Ibanez es175 tuned to open C for da blues,my other ibanii are standard tunings,i do this for the most versatile options,my 7 is my main squeeze,and i use the 7th (A) for added depth,and occasional low riffage,whilst still being able to solo up high,It's the easy solution.
Dont take any of this post negatively,we all have opinions,and no-ones opinions are wrong,Just take a step back and review whats been said,look at things from a differant perspective,and make sure your opinions have been noted.

All the best

Rob
post #186 of 190 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 03:55 PM

Interesting thoughts on this board

6 string, 7 string, nu-metal, shred, poka dots and daisies.....

Well my thought on this whole 7 string six string nu-metal korn sucks shred is the best line of thought is this:

Everyone is sure welcome to their own opinion, and it does not make yours any less valid-after all its just an opinion...not much else to back it up...unless you go with records sales--opps!! he-he

anywayz considering that the "standard" tuning on the modern guitar was not even around until the nineteenth century, and the "standard" amount of strings was not either what does it matter? the instrument keeps evolving and changing...good thing too, every try to play an eighteenth century baroque guitar? Do whatever ya want its all valid, play what ever you want its all good, and maybe practicing song writing, technical etudes, or dare I say TONAL etudes..its not all amps and effects you know ;0) Oh yeah, and so not to be hypocritical...do not listen to my ramblings and enjoy your posts, it gives me something to look at while I'm bored at work instead of practicing or playing myself!! rock on and have fun!
post #187 of 190 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 11:28 AM

Well, think about it. That extra 7th string only gives you about 7 or so more notes on the high string (assuming that you would tune the six string down to B) so unless you're using those notes, or doing scale patters with that extra string, why do you need it?
post #188 of 190 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:27 AM

Profane- this one's been beaten to death, but you're new, so i'll go through the motions once again.

Actually, it's 5 extra notes. Admittedly, not a heck of a lot. HOWEVER, and a very big however it is; it's not just 5 extra notes at the extreme of the instrument's range, it's an extra 4th in any given position on the neck- for example, in the 7th position, on a 6-string, your range is, assuming a decent amount of flexibility, a low B (7th fret, low E string) to a high E (12th fret, high E string). Now, do that on a 7-string, and your range suddenly changes from a low F# (7th fret, B string) to a high E (12th fret, E string). That's the equivalent of being able to play from the 2nd fret of the E all the way up to the 12th fret of the high E, all without changing position. This GREATLY expands your chordal and melodic range.

-Drew
post #189 of 190 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 12:56 PM

sweeps!

Dont forget the insane Arpeggio potential... 7 string sweeps rule!

Rob
post #190 of 190 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:27 AM

Oooooooh yes... mine aren't so clean yet, but i'm working.

-Drew

Tags
darren wilson , dave mustaine , dave weiner , death metal , dino cazares , dweezil zappa , eddie van halen , fire garden , floating tremolo , floyd rose , guage strings , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar playing , heavy metal , high strings , jason becker , jeff beck , joe satriani , john coltrane , kerry king , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , kurt cobain , les paul , les paul classic , les pauls , limp bizkit , marty friedman , mexican strat , morbid angel , music store , neck pickup , paul gilbert , paul reed , paul reed smith , pearl jam , pinch harmonics , prs guitar , prs guitars , randy rhoads , reed smith , rob balducci , seven string guitars , steve vai , strat style , string bass , string guitars , tony macalpine , van halen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode