Why do Jackson fans hate Ibanez? - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Why do Jackson fans hate Ibanez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
I've played jackson and I actually love them over the ibanez which have the same price tag. But seriously though any yamaha guitar will pound any other guitar brand, their guitar neck action and feel is the best IMO but seriously underated.
You know what's funny though. Here in Japan Yamaha guitars are hard to find and they are expensive.
Well... I'm glad they are underated here in Europe! It keeps their price low.
I have 2 myself and I would buy a few more if only I had the budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 PM

One thing I can't get around with Jacksons is the clubby necks.
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeglectedField View Post
One thing I can't get around with Jacksons is the clubby necks.
My 90 Fusion neck is almost as thin as my 770.

Any San Dimas or Dinky late 80's early 90's has thin shredder necks.

The Soloists have fatter necks. I had to sell my SL-1 because after having a bout with tendinitis it hurt to play.
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:04 PM

I remember talking to a friend of mine who had a bunch of jacksons and he bought the low end satriani model and bitched and moaned about how the headstock didn't tilt back as far as his jacksons. I was like, why does it matter so much is it giving you problems? He just couldn't get over it and sold the ibz.
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwg115 View Post
I remember talking to a friend of mine who had a bunch of jacksons and he bought the low end satriani model and bitched and moaned about how the headstock didn't tilt back as far as his jacksons. I was like, why does it matter so much is it giving you problems? He just couldn't get over it and sold the ibz.
Welcome to jemsite (seriously), but man, you're necroing some weird stuff. Did you google "hate ibanez" and that's what brought you here?
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Reviews: 5

I've observed a little of this kind of arrogance, which is silly considering you're talking about a person's choice of consumer goods. I can't imagine someone giving you attitude because you prefer a different brand of milk or eggs than they do.

I think there's some nationalism going on there--Jackson/Charvel offered Made in the USA instruments and older Americans may tend to assume Japanese-made instruments would be inferior or that it was somehow unpatriotic to support foreign manufacturing.

I think a lot of it came down to who your guitar heroes were when you started playing. If you were a huge Randy Rhodes, Megadeth or Slayer fan, you might have dreamed about owning a sweet Jackson V whereas some of us grew up wanting a Jem or a Chromeboy.

I like some of the high-end Soloists, but I find the neck-thru finish sticky and the sharktooth inlays super-cheesy.
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk View Post
Jackson's are the ORIGINAL superstrat, no arguing that. THey mark a historical event in inventing the original shred guitar. Not to mention their ultimate, uber guitar of the 80's and 90s [arguably their peak], was the Jackson Soloist...
I know what you're saying bdk, but didn't EVH "invent" the SuperStrat? I think someone should write a book on the SuperStrat Phenomenon. Kind'a like the one about David Gilmore's Black Strat.
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
I've observed a little of this kind of arrogance, which is silly considering you're talking about a person's choice of consumer goods. I can't imagine someone giving you attitude because you prefer a different brand of milk or eggs than they do.

I think there's some nationalism going on there--Jackson/Charvel offered Made in the USA instruments and older Americans may tend to assume Japanese-made instruments would be inferior or that it was somehow unpatriotic to support foreign manufacturing.

I think a lot of it came down to who your guitar heroes were when you started playing. If you were a huge Randy Rhodes, Megadeth or Slayer fan, you might have dreamed about owning a sweet Jackson V whereas some of us grew up wanting a Jem or a Chromeboy.

I like some of the high-end Soloists, but I find the neck-thru finish sticky and the sharktooth inlays super-cheesy.
The nationalism part, especially after 9-11, hits the nail on the head I think. I saw so many instances in college (this was back in 2003-2004, in the lead up to the 2nd iraq sandpit adventure) where people were just going all pro-'murica and stuff.

I started playing only a year and a half ago, but part of the reason I chose Ibanez is because of Vai and Satch. Once I did more research and saw it was a Japanese company, that made my day (I have always liked MIJ things, grew up when MIJ=awesome). However, my guitar heroes (at the time of getting my first ibby) were Brian May and Mick Mars, neither of which use Ibanez.
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 PM

Reviews: 6

all of them don't...i play both...but if you want to know the point of contention among most jackson fans...they prefer the usa jacksons and tend to snub anything made in japan...admittedly i have a bias myself as i dont like chinese manufactured guitars and am iffy on indonesian ones...but my ibanezes quality is as good as any jackson i've owned (and since i was on their artist roster years ago i owned plenty)...d.m.
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer3d View Post
I know what you're saying bdk, but didn't EVH "invent" the SuperStrat? I think someone should write a book on the SuperStrat Phenomenon. Kind'a like the one about David Gilmore's Black Strat.
yes evh did...built out of charvel parts...hence the jackson connection...d.m.
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 PM

"Its all bull****, and I'm tired.
I'm tired, and its a lot of bull****."
(VanChini from One Flew Over The Cookoo's nest 1973)
Seroiusly, I have a mid priced 1996 Jackson Performer (Dinky) and the neck is damn near the same as a Wizard II neck, like the ones on my '88 540s Sabers. All MIJ. Very nice fretwork and attention to detail.
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:21 PM

I was a Jackson fan boy had a Dinky, JS32T and was saving up for a Warrior (standard model with Floyd) and thought it was the best thing ever, oh how I was wrong I went to a guitar show with a friend and whilst he was talking about amps to a guy I had a play in a Ibanez SA260FM.

Long story short I ended walking out of the shop with a SA260FM Purple bust and have just sold the last of the Jacksons I owned last month, a few months later on eBay, since then I got Ibanez Ergodyne and I'm looking at getting a GRG250DX or IC500. Ibanez guitars are an addiction and they feel and play so well.
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELicari View Post
On other forums (non Ibanez) when someone mentions Ibanez there is always a Jackson owner that has something bad to say about em....why is that?
They are both great superstrats and thus rivals. ESP/LTD and Schecter also have very loyal fans and can tend to like only their camp. For me, if I am in a shredder mood, any superstrat with hot pickups, larger frets, and flatter radius fretboard are a lot of fun.
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
If somebody else did that, then fine but I think many of us were introduced to the superstrat thing (strat body/neck with full sized humbuckers) through EVH. I know Robbie Robertson, Alan Holdsworth, Frank Zappa, and Jeff Beck liked to mod out strats before EVH but in the earlier days those mods just didn't catch on.

Before EVH I thought I could either get a nice warm distortion tone by using a humbucker and that meant Gibson or Gibson copy and then of a Les Paul or SG, maybe L6S like I had. But if you wanted to enjoy the great contoured body and cool tremolo, then it was a Fender Stratocaster or copy. There were not major makers utilizing the common aspects of both major makes. Eddie's strat on steroids outfitted with a humbucker basically gave the feel of a strat but the tone much closer to that of a Gibson and the rest is history. Dual humbucker superstrats were cool but the ultimate design that most makers went after was the most often copied HSS setup giving the basic Gibson and Fender tones and utilizing a five way switch. You could get single coil sounds of neck and mid, the #2 and #4 quack like strat tones, and the full on power of a bridge humbucker.

When EVH first got popular with a superstrat and single humbucker, the field exploded with copycats. There may have also been earlier users of double locking trems but then again EVH was the ambassador to that, too. Just like Grunge and Nirvana almost killed '80s hair metal, the superstrat almost exclusively replaced the Les Pauls and SGs in hard rock. In that same time period the diatonic scales and very fast playing took off, too and then maybe too much. It was so much the superstrat and fast shredding that it got to be a little too conformist easing the way for grunge in harder music and roots/retro indie rock for the pop stuff. Van Halen was still around but they lost a lot of relevance due to them and their style being overplayed. EVH chose Kramer back then but could have just as easily found a home with Ibanez or Jackson and would have pretty much sounded the same.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 06-19-2013 at 06:51 PM.
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
Not true, but he's one of the first to be mentioned in building one.

Many other players were doing the same in the 70s.
EVH just got on the map for throwing parts together.

Tags
custom shop , custom shop guitar , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , ernie ball , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jackson guitars , jackson soloist , les paul , neck thru , pointy headstock , rosewood board , rosewood boards , sharkfin inlays , usa custom shop , warmoth strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode