Why do Jackson fans hate Ibanez? - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 AM

Re: Why do Jackson fans hate Ibanez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzillaPopcicle View Post
Not true, but he's one of the first to be mentioned in building one.

Many other players were doing the same in the 70s.
EVH just got on the map for throwing parts together.
So true. One of the common 70's mod was putting in a DiMarzio Super Distortion into a strat and many a vintage guitar was ruined with this setup. However at the time any non maple board Fender strat was merely a used guitar so there was a lot of carving up done. Even prized maple board pre-CBS strats were done up with this pickup like Dave Murray of Iron Maiden's main axe. The Super Distortion took really well to the Fender trem. The launch of the DiMarzio Super Distortion corresponds with a lot of torn up strats and a few teles even though the safest bet was to swap out a Gibson humbucker in a Gibson. At least there are f-spaced full sized humbuckers these days.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 06-20-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzillaPopcicle View Post
Not true, but he's one of the first to be mentioned in building one.

Many other players were doing the same in the 70s.
EVH just got on the map for throwing parts together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
So true...
Obviously, you are right yes...

But here's where this is flat wrong:

Let's see..what are we forgetting here...

How about a little side item known as a, ahem..."Floyd Rose"...

Anyone doin' THAT before Eddie?

I think that settles it. It an't a super strat without a double locking trem, at least where I come from.

If someone was using a Floyd before Mr. Rose brought his idea to Eddie then I'll shut up now.
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradovarious View Post

I think that settles it. It an't a super strat without a double locking trem, at least where I come from.

If someone was using a Floyd before Mr. Rose brought his idea to Eddie then I'll shut up now.

+1 No locking trem, not super strat. Remember Ibanez PR1550?
post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 PM

Reviews: 6

well yeah if you wanna get technical hiram bullock had a strat with a hum single hum config in the early 70's...problem is not many people associate him with the advent of the superstrat...that designation (at least in the general public eye) belongs to eddie van halen...btw the frankenstein and his original black and yellow charvel were pre-floyd...the floyds were added later...yeah he did all that crazy whammy stuff on the first 2 vh albums with a fender style trem...never figured out how he managed to keep that thing in tune...d.m.
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradovarious View Post

I don't know exactly who the first user was but it doesn't matter much that I got into it when I saw Eddie with strat, humbucker, double locking trem, etc. Steve Vai also did a lot to help the concept.

I love fixed bridge superstrats, too even though it lacks the double locking thing. The Satch fixed bridge models are pretty super to me imho.

http://www.slpdoghousemusic.com/Item/js1600psv
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 AM

2 (well, 2 of a total of 3) rival philosophies on fast shredder neck design... dunno about you guys, but Jackson necks just rub me all WRONG.

Ibanez and ESP, now, those necks I looove... but, in both cases, regardless of all the claims made that the Korean Indo etc. stuff is made to the same specs - ONLY the Japanese ones.

This real MIJ vs licensed/subcontracted budget model difference is definitely there, and it ain't a matter of finish texture or fretwork or anything like that - Prestige/J-custom/20th century "plain" MIJ vs gio & "regular" RG/S/etc series or ESP Standard vs. LTD counterparts are just UTTERLY DIFFERENT NECK PROFILES. No matter what the wonky measurements in the specs say... seems those get made with the ruler equivalent of loaded dice.

...in fact, what with the 100%-everywhere use of CNC machinery, I'm rather convinced that the greedy suits order their factories to bugger up neck profiles on cheaper models *INTENTIONALLY*. Bad fretwork, bad wood, lousy soldering, that stuff's real 'honest' bad QC & workmanship, but as to the unwieldy necks on cheapos and the just-slightly-offs on the midrange, that's done on purpose.

but anyway, sorry, back on topic: I'm pretty sure us and Jackson players just have different views on what a "neck done right" is supposed to feel like.

example from very recent personal experience: guy I knew was shopping for a Japanese shredder w/ a fast neck and a LoPro-type Floyd. asked me to help him find a Jackson RR3 here in Cali (he lives so far in the boonies of Eastern Europe that even ebay won't ship there lol... local choice is obviously non-existent and costs an arm and a leg). I was like DUDE, let me hook you up with an old 90s Ibby Saber or a 500-700 series RG from the golden days... He said they just don't feel right to em. Found that Jackson RR3 for him, got a chance to compare it to my Saber before shipping it --- imho, no comparison whatsoever. I don't even see how they call that a fast neck, and that's just the start, everything else down to the way that Jackson JT-5something LoPro Edge knockoff Floyd responded felt just slightly wrong to me... decent guitar, but nothing special. HE LOVES IT THOUGH

different hands? different philosophies? different needs? prolly all of the above...
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM

Reviews: 6

the rr3's aren't exactly great jackson necks...the usa charvel/jackson necks from 83 to about 96 are great necks...some of them very much like ibanez but with a hair more thickness to them...the neck on my dk2m is a good neck but thicker than those old necks and definitely thicker than my rg's...

eventually it all comes down to personal preference...so may people buy into the hype instead of just finding what they like regardless of brand name or price...once you get to a certain level you should be able to make music on just about anything (example i have a squier bullet strat that i play quite a bit even though i own a bunch of much nicer guitars...but none of them sound like it does)...d.m.
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
...the usa charvel/jackson necks from 83 to about 96 are great necks...some of them very much like ibanez...
I agree. That was my introduction to the super strat. Somewhere around '87-90 I had a red Charvel. Maple fretboard and only one pu. Very thin neck. It was quite awesome!
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post

This real MIJ vs licensed/subcontracted budget model difference is definitely there, and it ain't a matter of finish texture or fretwork or anything like that - Prestige/J-custom/20th century "plain" MIJ vs gio & "regular" RG/S/etc series or ESP Standard vs. LTD counterparts are just UTTERLY DIFFERENT NECK PROFILES. No matter what the wonky measurements in the specs say... seems those get made with the ruler equivalent of loaded dice.

...in fact, what with the 100%-everywhere use of CNC machinery, I'm rather convinced that the greedy suits order their factories to bugger up neck profiles on cheaper models *INTENTIONALLY*. Bad fretwork, bad wood, lousy soldering, that stuff's real 'honest' bad QC & workmanship, but as to the unwieldy necks on cheapos and the just-slightly-offs on the midrange, that's done on purpose.

There's that theory that they are basically the same stats and the lower lines are increasingly paid less attention to and are not quite as nice.

I think it comes down to the fret work and some to the set up.

There's more time and attention afforded to those J-Customs in both fret work and set up than to the lower end ones. I don't think a certain quality of maple underneath or rosewood will feel that much different. Will the neck play faster because it's Brazilian rosewood versus East Indian rosewood? The fret work is what you are going to notice. Have you ever had a guitar professionally refretted? If done by a great luthier it can make just about any neck feel like a million bucks.
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I don't think a certain quality of maple underneath or rosewood will feel that much different. Will the neck play faster because it's Brazilian rosewood versus East Indian rosewood?
NO WAY, dude... GOTTA be nearly black brazilian or good blonde gloss maple.

That naaaasty feel of the porous orange crud that passes for east indian rosewood these days just messes with your fingers. Only baked maple is worse.... it's the tactile equivalent of something that reeks so much the smell is distracting you.

PS oh and add them faded satin non-finishes to the list of unplayables. *shudder*
post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 PM

I have never played a guitar and hated it because of what it said on the headstock. I have Ibanez guitars, Jacksons, Gibsons, etc...each manufacturer has their great axes as well as their genuine POS guitars. People who complain about brands are people that would rather complain than actually play guitar....that's a person that you do not need an opinion on guitars from.
post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlur View Post
I have never played a guitar and hated it because of what it said on the headstock. I have Ibanez guitars, Jacksons, Gibsons, etc...each manufacturer has their great axes as well as their genuine POS guitars. People who complain about brands are people that would rather complain than actually play guitar....that's a person that you do not need an opinion on guitars from.
EXACTAMUNDO ! ! !
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
One of my favorite guitars of all time was a 150 dollar Squier Bullet.
K, bye!!!!
post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Or are complete fanboys. Dont forget we live in the world of fanboyism now and they infest our daily lives

BTW, I've picked up Fender Tellies, gibson LPs, I just dont like them. I think the best Tellie i've played was a Fujigen Alder body tellie. Now, if I was going to buy ANYTHING non-Ibanez, I want that candy Apple Tellie. AMAZING axe.
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Was there a guitar maker that made floyd's that were "floating" and sunken into the body like Ibanez did before Ibanez?

If so, I don't recall seeing any. I thought the Jem was the first one?

Tags
custom shop , custom shop guitar , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , ernie ball , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jackson guitars , jackson soloist , les paul , neck thru , pointy headstock , rosewood board , rosewood boards , sharkfin inlays , usa custom shop , warmoth strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode