Why DOes Ibanez Favor Korea and Japan? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Why DOes Ibanez Favor Korea and Japan?

I was loooking at the Japanese section of Ibanez.com and they Have WAYYYYY better stuff then we have in north america ( 4 different PGM's, Jem 555, Jem Floral, Jem 333(Jr.), Rgs with Vine Inlays , Rgs with way cooler paint schemes, burnt Trans. blue finish on the JS modles) WHat gives??? what a stupid business statagey... " ok theres a HUGE market for cool guitars in North America.... meh... lets only make em available to Japan!"

-Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 04:14 AM

Ibanez is a Japanese company, of course their home market is going to see more models than export markets like the US/Canada/Europe...

Gibson/Fender/etc don't make all their models available overseas either..

Besides which, 'shred' guitars aren't really doing so hot, sales-wise, over here.. Chances are the small level of sales for those other models wouldn't support them being shipped over.

Either way, Hoshino USA calls the shots as to what we get here, right?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:03 AM

Fact of the matter is simply this: all distributors are shown the exact same collection of instruments by Hoshino Japan. All of these distributors have access to the exact same guitars! It's not that Ibanez favors one country over the next. Each distributor has a group of buyers that does research in their specific marketplace, and makes a calculated guess on what models, colors, and features would be welcomed (i.e., sell well) in their given market. Some buyers, I'm sure, err on the conservative side of features and colors, so the sales numbers look good, both in units sold, and profit made. For instance, black guitars outsell other colors almost 2-to-one. It's an easy sale. Other finishes might do well in certain areas of the world, depending on how those colors factor into that countries culture and marketplace.

Ibanez is not the only company that does this. Look at Epiphones for the Japanese market that have Gibson headstocks. Different signature models from Fender (Chris Impelliteri, anyone), as well as other historic models.

Sure, it'd be nice if everything was available everywhere, but it isn't. If you have the means and the true desire to get something domestically, take advantage of the means before you.

Just an observation,
Butch
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 AM

So basically, the researchers/buyers working for the Ibanez dealers all over the world are really screwing up their job?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 03:54 AM

I think Carvin should just eat their breakfast, then they'll be serving the US market adequately. Having said that, RG3120TW is probably the best guitar I've ever owned, especially after it was set up by Mike Lull. I regret selling it like you won't believe.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 04:12 AM

Some researchers/buyers probably do screw up, but I guess the model palette in North America vs. Europe vs. Asia does roughly reflect the characteristics of these markets. Using the Fender example, Yngwie is, on a relative scale, a bigger name in Japan these days than it is in Europe/North America, so Fender Japan offers a selection of (3?) YJM models...

Of course there are some Japanese/Euro-market guitars that would probably sell well in North America, but I find it hard to believe that the average North American Ibanez buyer will have similar preferences to the "Jemsite-average"...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 04:30 AM

You could imagine that there would be a hell of a lot of popular (US) shredders from Japan or Korea, given the vast numbers of shredder guitars sold there. And yet, you see only a very very few.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
So basically, the researchers/buyers working for the Ibanez dealers all over the world are really screwing up their job?
We'll never know. They could be doing a perfect job, and you won't know unless you are an investor or have access to Hoshino USA's financial statements. See, unfortunately their job is not to please us, or to make sure we have a selection of colors that meets our expectations. They're job is to sell the most amount of guitars with the least amount of overhead and effort. In other words, they are more "efficiency experts" than they are guitar nerds. You want to have the right mix of product that sells the most guitars, and positions you in the marketplace. Sure I think they make dumb moves. I would do things very differently, and I might even be able to sell more guitars and gain market share if I worked for Hoshino, but it would probably be less profitable.

Say they are able to sell 5,000 JS units just by importing Black Pearl. Maybe if they had 4 colors available they still would only sell 5,040 total units. Big deal, they just had to inventory 3 more items and risk being stuck with "end lots" of all three colors. More colors do not necessarily equal more customers. Plus, the 5,040 units they sold (because they had more colors) could have been people who would've bought an "S" instead had the JS only been available in BP. So you may not have gained any additional guitar sales. I know it's a stupid example, but it shows how these guys have to think about so many other things rather than "Hey, you know what would be cool? If he had...."

Tags
hoshino usa , ibanez dealer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode