Why does X guitar scream high notes better then Y - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Why does X guitar scream high notes better then Y

I've been playing Gary Moores - The Prophet and theres a section where the guitar realy gets up high around the 22nd fret on the high e string and screams. I've been rolling up my volume for my bridge pickup for more distortion and that seems to help with sustaining.
On a lot of guitars though, it seems harder to get sustain and volume out of the high notes and I end up picking the long notes on every beat to keep the sound going as they won't sustain it.

My gibson lespaul studio gothic has the most sustain out of my guitars but it doesn't seem to have the volume of my jackson sl2h soloist at these high notes.

So what is it that makes some guitars do this better then others.
Neck through body design? Pickups? Weight? Fret wood?
Is there anything i can do to make the guitar scream moore at these higher notes?

heres a quick sample of me playing that section, And appologies for some sloppiness since i've learnt it in the last 2 days.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=3fPi9X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Why does X guitar scream high notes better then Y

He was also likely to get a lot more sustain if his amp was at a decently loud volume.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Reviews: 11

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...?ProductId=148

just bought one of these. Highly recommend it.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 PM

The amount of variables is unending. Guitar setup,amp,effects playing style,volume, etc..
Alot of times the players are using a wah to roll off low end and jack up treble on those notes.Volume pedal would do much the same thing if you opened it up full on for those notes you wanted to leap out. Also pick attack is huge some players hit super super hard to get added oomph,squeals,artificial harmonics, rakes. I know I saw Shawn Lane and he picked the hardest of anyone I have ever seen you could hear the pick hitting the strings even at relatively high volumes,a great part of why his legato was so nice one pick was alot of power to carry on the next 5 hammer ons and pull offs.Slash and Zakk Wylde use the wah for that same effect you are talking about making those high notes leap out.Zakk picks very hard as well.Trying using technique to get some of it and if that dont work try a wah pedal.Nice tone and a good amp always help as well.A compressor would help as well good idea Linux. Some other technique ideas to get some added zip finger pick in the octave of the note you want to stand out,instead of just playing the high E at the 12th fret add in the B string at the 15th fret and bend it to match the E then vibrato and use that added tone for more weight and variety,same idea on the G and the B strings bend the G to match the note you were gonna play by itself on the B just adds a little more weight to it.Picking is huge also use the edge of the pick rake a bit hit extra hard.You could also use your tone control start out with it like on 3 and when the part you want to jump out comes up go to like 11 with it adding treble high end,same applies to the volume knob, you could also start the solo with the neck pickup and switch to the bridge for the higher notes you want to jump out. Good Luck I'm sure you will figure it out.

Last edited by corpraider69; 05-01-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Reviews: 6

Be careful with a compressor, you maight loose all the dynamics you can create with your pick. I never use compressor just because of that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:42 PM

what corpraider69 said, could be the wood of a particular guitar (not wood type but that particular cut), could be the pickups, could be frets who knows that's why it is always a good idea to play a guitar a lot before you buy it. Having said that I didn't play either of my last 3 guitars before I got them shipped from the US haha.

Tags
les paul sustain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode