Why dont they do this anymore? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Why dont they do this anymore?

How comes ibanez no longer uses ebony for the j-customs and how comes they no longer use this construction style and no longer put this writing on the back of the headstock:

i thought that wood construction gave it an extra touch of class and further distinguished it from the prestige line.
now the current j-customs look like modded prestige guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:00 AM

Re: Why dont they do this anymore?

Hahaha, the only logical reason they dont put those words behind the headstock anymore is that they dont make quality J customs like they used to.......Nah just joking
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:04 AM

They stopped doing it to cut back on the cost. I would have to agree that it does add a touch of class to it.

(btw.. isn't that my RG8670 in the first pic?)
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
They stopped doing it to cut back on the cost. I would have to agree that it does add a touch of class to it.

it probably is yours, i found that pic on ibanezregister.com.
i have just fallen in love with every aspect of the RG8670 so i have been looking around the web for one. i really wish ibanez continued to make j-customs like that.

but anyways, its not like theyre going to listen to us seeing as that guitar isnt even intended for our markets .
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User010101 View Post
it probably is yours, i found that pic on ibanezregister.com.
i have just fallen in love with every aspect of the RG8670 so i have been looking around the web for one. i really wish ibanez continued to make j-customs like that.

but anyways, its not like theyre going to listen to us seeing as that guitar isnt even intended for our markets .
Well.. I stopped caring about the whole J-Custom line when they killed the RG8670 and replaced it with the RG8270. At least they more or less re-introduced the RG8670 as the RG8470 with the rosewood fingerboard. Although the 8470 lacks the veneer on the back of the headstock it's still a [email protected]$$ guitar.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 AM
GAZ

Talking Re: Why dont they do this anymore?

Personally I prefer good quality rosewood to ebony so that doesn't bother me. My RG8270VV has a striped ebony headstock overlay does that count ?!?!!? My RG8570TT has the headstock as in your pics, the 8270 doesn't, it is just a cosmetic feature, and more necessary because of the wide strips of bubinga on the 8570. The narrow walnut strips look neat enough anyway. The writing could be seen as 'cheesey' and we all know it anyway without reading the back of the headstock. Yes the J Customs are modded Prestige guitars, what's wrong with that ? There are a lot of unique features to the current JC line over the Prestige that make them unique and special, things more important than the cosmetics of the rear of the headstock. Make a list of what you think they are and I'll tell you if you've missed any off !!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Cut back on what cost? The newer J-Craft logo is not much different in terms of stamping, ink usage, etc. I don't see how this could be a cost reduction motivation.

I think the newer design is more elegant and creates both brand-identity and commercial differentiation between a MIJ JC guitar and the rest, whereas the former stamping was just a generic non-identity associable quality message. It makes all sense to progress from that.

Gus.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
GAZ

Talking Re: Why dont they do this anymore?

My RG8270 is deeply offended by the comments above, and has put in a request to be converted into a [email protected]$$ guitar by swapping it's striped ebony headstock for flame maple and installing maple neck binding. I told it not to worry, the extra rosewood on the fretboard and ebony on the headstock add so much more to the tone.......
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusfmm View Post
Cut back on what cost? The newer J-Craft logo is not much different in terms of stamping, ink usage, etc. I don't see how this could be a cost reduction motivation.
The cost of the two strips of veneers is low, but the cost of labour required to do it isn't.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:32 PM

All of my J-Customs (each from a different year, all with different specs) are killer guitars in their own right.

If you look at the J-Custom line, it changes all the time.

Some years, most of the models were just glorified RG3120s (some guys think thats a bad thing, depending how much you pay it can be a GREAT thing

Other years, they were going all out with swish appointments, like the 8670.

Spec goes up and down, prices go...mostly up, details like the back of the headstock change...every now and then they put out something weird/crazy...

Its just the way it is really. I wouldnt worry about it. You might turn down a RG8270 at a good price today because it doesnt have an ebony board, and be kicking yourself in a few years time if prices go up and specs go down, and you cant find one anymore.

OR you might buy a RG8470 today, and find they re-introduce ebony next year at the same price. You'll never know, dont worry about it. If you find one and you like it, and its a good price, buy it.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 PM

i don't know is it true or not, the current J custom was made by Fujigen, the one with writings 'masterfully crafted bla bla bla' was not made by Fujigen.. I don't see any 'F' word in front of the serial number.
Am I correct?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
The cost of the two strips of veneers is low, but the cost of labour required to do it isn't.
Fluffy argument. The reason why they changed that belongs to Ibanez, but very likely they evolved in the notion of expressing and representing the same quality excellence concept by now portraying the J-Craft identity mark. Agree that how they stamp the current logo must be more automated in terms of the printing technology, but saying that this impacts costs in terms of labor is more of an intangible assumption lacking any importance when put in perspective against the time they take and the labor involved in producing the rest of the guitar.

Better looking logo, better quality, brand-identity, coupled with improvements in their imprinting process that allow them to do it in a more streamlined fashion now, from a production standpoint.

Last edited by Gusfmm; 03-21-2007 at 10:45 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 PM

Has anyone noticed that around the same time they did away with ebony fretboards, they started bringing back maple fretboards?

I don't know what the correlation could possibly be, but I'd bet $10 there IS one.

BTW: I have an 8670 and I'll sell it for $15,000.

~K
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:46 PM

Reviews: 1

would you rather have that script on your guitar than the team j craft? i wouldn't mind having both but... and other thing how the heck they didnt keept doing that... cost? how much does it cost to print that?... i mean comon !!!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironjose View Post
would you rather have that script on your guitar than the team j craft? i wouldn't mind having both but... and other thing how the heck they didnt keept doing that... cost? how much does it cost to print that?... i mean comon !!!
Well, it's not just the print that is different, I took a couple of closeup pictures of the head of my RG8670 to give you an idea about it.
There is several layers with different wood on it, todays J.Customs does not look like this.

Tags
custom models , ebony board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , flame maple , flamed maple , headstock overlay , killer guitar , maple binding , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck binding , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , texas prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode