Why to go for a 7 string? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Why to go for a 7 string?

Hallo...I would like to know what was the main reason for all of you 7 string guitar players to become that...?
Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 12:17 PM

I love low tunings, but I like being able to play things in standard tuning on the same guitar without retuning. And I just love the feel of the fatter neck. I've been having fun lately tuning it up a semi-tone (CFBbEbGCF).
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 01:03 PM

There are all kinds of things you can do with the extra range. Extended chords and scales obviously come to mind. Lots of jazz players like to be able to play their own bassline. You can use it as a pedal tone for some harmonic goodness, especially when played against different modes. It also opens up the door for easier emulation of the piano, if you're into that sort of thing.

Having said this, however, don't think that the 7 string, or any other extended range instrument (such as an 8 or 9 string guitar) is "magical." In other words, don't be like some players who buy the 7 string and are then surprised when their playing doesn't magically take on new dimensions. it just takes the tiresome age-old concept of the guitar (that still works extremely well) and expands it a bit.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 01:05 PM

I'm actually discovering that with a combination of my 5-string bass (especially the upper strings) and my 7-string guitar, I can get some really cool piano-like sounds.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 PM

Yes. If you're really into it, I recommend buying some piano sheet music and arranging the pieces for guitar. You'll have to tap, which will improve your proficiency here (and impress others), and you may have to play some notes an octave higher, but I think it really solidifies the concept in your mind and lets you better compose original material that makes use of the increased harmonic resources of the instrument.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

I personaly don't like very much that piano idea...with no offence..but i am playing a guitar, i am playing a guitar...i am not saying that playing some piano stuff is not interesting, or even inspiring...but after all that, get back to guitar playing...
tell me, people, what kind of music do you prefer when using 7 string, what bands etc...
and how long do you play a guitar? What make you to go from 6 to 7 string...
I am interested...what do you think, how good player you should be to go for a 7 string? of course, i am aware that every fool can go for it...
Is it like that when you hear that someone plays 7 string, it's like WOW - the man can do surely almost everything on a 6 string when he needs one more string...
of course, there are HC style players who would be probably pleased with only 4 upper strings- for its skill (no offence, please), but playing 7 string, under excuse (probably too hard word, but wtf) of needing lower tuning...
let's hear you...
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 02:33 PM

Well, i'm not saying that that's the only thing that you can do on a 7 string, but I think it's very interesting, and it's certainly more practical on a 7 string then it is on a 6. The best thing about a 7 string is it lets you do something like that, and then play more normal guitar type material in the same song, without using odd tunings in order to cover more range. I guess it just lets you do extra things without trying to make significant changes to the way the instrument is played.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

the_grindfriend
tell me wat music are you playing...similar to what bands etc...? and was that experimenting thing the main reason for getting 7 string...
thanx
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 03:12 PM

Lately, I've not been playing much that's coherent, but I've been noodling around in bits of original instrumental rock/fusion type stuff. I've been listening to mostly classical, lately, especially Beethoven's piano concertos 4 and 5 (which may explain my piano hang-up), but haven't really done any heavy tinkering with classical involving my own playing, though I'd like to.

Originally, I got into 7 strings because I was really into the death metal and grindcore styles, and wanted it for the low-tuned aspect. I don't play nearly as much metal as I used to, but I still like it and try to work it in with what I do, though I'm more of a metalcore guy by now.

If you asked me what bands my music was similar to ( which I guess you did), I'd say a big one would be The Dillinger Escape Plan, just not heavy as consistently. Another big influence on me has been Meshuggah, and I like to try to use heavy polymetric riffing under relaxed leads or clean parts. However, I also really like bands like Estradasphere, and Allan Holdsworth is a favorite.

Don't let this lead you to believe that I have a great volume of completed work, however. I have lots and lots of bits and pieces, with which I am convinced I could assemble into pretty good songs, but have yet to sit down and arrange/add to. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish a couple this summer.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 03:27 PM

Even if the only thing you do with it is wrap your thumb around for the low D note when playing a D chord, I think it's worth it! If I take my 7 to church where we're playing mostly contemporary pop stuff, I use it for that, or for a low C in a C chord, or B etc. Otherwise it's a way to extend solos down without changing positions, too. So if you're soloing and you just want to dip down for one or two notes on the B string, you can. Rather than change positions just to come right back again.

But then I slap and pop on it a lot too for some neat solo bass sounding things, and I play fingerstyle too. But I don't do a bass line with a high chord. I never tried to master that technique, where you are schizophrenically your own bass player and guitar player.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 03:36 PM

I tune my low string down to A, which makes it easier to play full seven-string barre chords based around "A" chord shapes. You can't get that sound with a 6. If you simply tune down, you're missing the shimmering high end that balances out the extended bass so nicely.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 08:21 PM

Around 10-12 years ago, I began tuning my 6-string down to B because I was into all types of metal that used lower tunings. I loved the sound, but I missed having a high E string. I bought a 7-string in 97...problem solved. It's the best of both worlds.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:22 PM

I've been playing guitar since '98, but it wasn't until about a year and a half ago that I finally got a 7-string. I wanted one from the start, mainly because of Korn. But as I learned more, and heard what Steve Vai, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Meshuggah, etc, etc, etc, have been doing with them, it's become even more interesting for me. Especially now that I'm experimenting with different tunings and sounds. I just love the thing because it's different and makes me look at how I play it differently (am I playing a 6-string with an extra low string, an extra high string, or something completely different), and I still play my 6-string all the time.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:25 PM

I got one back when the UVs first came out. I mainly wanted it to be different(back then )
Now, it just feels more comfortable.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 07:49 AM

I wanted it because of the depth and all off the different voicings
it can add, but now, when i've played nothing but 7's at gigs and such,
the reason simply is:

....it makes you feel like a MAN...

Tags
allan holdsworth , chord progression , chord progressions , death metal , guitar players , guitar playing , ibanez jem , joe satriani , les paul , mike mushok , nigel tufnel , playing guitar , rusty cooley , steve vai , string bass , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode