Why are ibanez guitars easier to string bend than washburns? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Why are ibanez guitars easier to string bend than washburns?

this is confusing me. I have 2 washburns (n2 and N61), both with floyds, one with an original floyd rose, and 2 ibanez RGs both with edge pros.

All guitars have same string gauge and are tuned to E. So why is the washburn's harder to bend than the RG's?Anthing to do with string tension at the back?22fret vs 24frets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 PM

Re: Why are ibanez guitars easier to string bend than washburns?

All guitars have different string tension, or as Matt Bruck says, "string suspension". He says no one really knows why that they are different.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Reviews: 1

In order for your statement to be true, all the influencing factors on both guitars have to be exactly the same. Since we do not know if the later is true, then your statement is only applicable to your Ibanez and Washburn guitars.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

yeah ok maybe i should have titled it 'why are MY ibanez guitars easier to bend ...etc', but I just want to know how i can improve my washburn ones to have the same looser feel as the ibanez's. Is it maybe the spring positions at the back?or thickness?bad set up?

I'd just like to know what things I can change or try that might possibly be a deciding factor on this!

thanks
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Ok, if this was an issue for me I would start looking at things like:
- Fret size, specifically height
- String height off the frets
- String height at the nut
- Neck Relief
- Trem spring tension
- String brand
- String age

If you can make or make sure as many of those elements are the same, the easier it will be to make them both feel the same. The thing to bear in mind is some of these elements need to be measured with a high level of accuracy.

For example, a set of feeler gauges would be needed to measure things like string height and neck relief. Very small differences (1/64, 1/32) can change the feel of bending significantly.

Off of the top of my head, I don't know how one would easily measure trem spring tension (assuming they all have the same number of springs) but it would probably be easier to just find some high quality trem springs that are guaranteed to have consistent tension (at least when they're new).

ETA - Scale length will also influence string tension but as I recall, all of your guitars have 25.5" scale lengths.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Radius? I know that flatter boards facilitate string bending, but I don't know the radii of the guitars in question.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Banned

basically washburns suck
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Radius? I know that flatter boards facilitate string bending, but I don't know the radii of the guitars in question.
Yes, that's also another things to consider and the radius of the fingerboard affects the overall string height. Typically, the bigger the radius is, the lower the string height can be and still allow adequate bending.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
basically washburns suck
Oh please, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 PM

Reviews: 2

I think the cause of your problem is the spring tension. Remember that whenever you do a big bend, the bridge goes flat (you can see this if you look at your bridge while bending), which is (I think) something to be expected when using this kind of bridges. How many springs are you using in your washburns? I only use 3 when playing in E standard.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
basically washburns suck
Challenge. My N4 vintage is an amazing guitar. I'll put it up against my EBMM JP6 and my USA BC Rich.

I have admit I have noticed the difference in bending strings lately a lot. I have a Carvin DC200 that is impossible to bend. My N4 is like butter, effortless. My JP6 is closer to the Carvin. My Ibanez herd are all very easy to bend, but not as easy as the N4.

I'm sure its multiple factors, scale length, fretboard design, string gauge, etc.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Banned

not sure that a string bending contest will change my mind about washburns
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM

The amount of pressure it takes to get a string to go from one note to one whole step higher is constant no matter what. (assuming scale length is the same) It's the distance that changes. If you have a jazzbox with several inches of string behind the bridge and behind the nut, bending the string stretches those parts too. If you have a locking bridge (locked at the nut and bridge) the 25.5" length is all you're bending/stretching. If that locking bridge is a tremolo, then you're stretching the springs and bending the bridge forward. This is where I believe you are experiencing the difference, assuming you're lock nuts are locked. If they are unlocked, the reverse headstock completely reverses the behind the nut lenght and therefore the distance required for each string to reach pitch. The whole feel is inverted. So perform these tests with the nut locked! If it's still the case, the difference is in the balance of the bridge. The Ibanez bridges have (generally) a shorter block, and more mass than "OFR or Shaller-style" bridges. More importantly, the mass is distributed differently in relation to the block and studs. So when you bend, as others have said, the Washburn bridges are pulling flat to a different degree than the Ibanez bridges.

But remember, the word "tension" is often misapplied. At 25.5", it takes the same "tension" to reach any particular pitch regardless of all other factors. You just might have to push the string FARTHER to get to pitch because other things are giving way.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:36 PM

I think my head just exploded.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:23 PM

reassemble your head and read this thread, it's all there:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=13

Quote:
the mass is distributed differently in relation to the block and studs
Unfortunately that has no influence on bending feel, only on flutter.

Tags
floyd rose , washburn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode