Why No 14? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Why No 14?

Why hasn't there been a 14-string guitar made yet? There are 12-string guitars, which are doubled up 6-strings, but, even with the new wave of 7-string popularity, there hasn't been a 14-string made yet. I say why? I would definitely buy one...maybe two. Y'know, one acoustic, one electric, heck, maybe even a 7/14 double-neck. Unlike that totally-useless-unless-you're-a-collector 7/6 string limited edition double-neck from Ibanez. Anyone see the point of that? Maybe Vai would like to add a fourth neck to his heart guitar? *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 03:38 PM

Why No 14?

Yeah, I can see a point to a 7/6 double neck, the same reason I have 7 strings and 6 strings. *Both necks are good for different things, even with a 7 string, some songs are easier to play on a 6, drop D tunings come to mind. *Sometimes a drop D is easier to use and sounds better than re-writting a part to just do it on a 7.
I don't think that a 7/6 double neck is any more useless than any other double neck really, but, double necks look so cool. *I've often thought about building a 7/6 double neck based on the JEM and UV. *I guess I'd call it a JEMNIVERSE :biggrin:
Jeremy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 04:35 PM

Why No 14?

i've long been wanting a 14 string guitar, its good to know someone else out there feels the same... *
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 06:01 PM

Why No 14?

Sorry folks- math screws us here.

For a 14-string guitar, the neck would have to be considerably wider- due to that last octave strings thickness. *In other words: *14 won't fit.

Ahhh....but 13 strings do fit on a standard 7-string/UV neck. *

Stay tuned.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 09:05 PM

Why No 14?

You think a 14-string would screw us? *lol *I think I could handle the extra bit of thickness, especially when compared to this:

http://www.timtone.com/GuitarClip40-Ryan.html
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 11:22 PM

Why No 14?

reminds me of charlie hunter... * *

i'd bet that i could play a 14 string guitar with no problem at all... my hand wraps around the neck of my 7 strings with no problem, with lots of extra room actualy... however i don't think i need to go as far as 11 individual strings.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 10:15 AM

Why No 14?

14 strings?
Want some kick ass 14 strings....Go check out Warr Guitars made by the genius Mark Warr. Also check out some Chapman sticks!

www.warrguitars.com

www.stick.com

Chris.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 02:30 PM

Why No 14?

Hmmm…. Sounds suspicious to me. I think Kevan is at home filing extra grooves in the nut of a 7 string. What do you think?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 02:35 PM

Why No 14?

heheh, probably...

btw: just to clarify things; i think this thread is more about 14 string guitars doing for 7 strings what 12 strings do for 6 strings- having strings that double the existing strings... not how many strings can be crammed onto a guitar... at least thats what i want to get out of this... *
thankyou
bennett

(Edited by bchaney at 1:49 pm on Mar. 19, 2001)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 09:55 PM

Why No 14?

I think that 14 string guitars are an interesting thought. They would definately add more to the sound *similarily to how 12 stringers do to 6 strings. From *a construction point of view, I dont think that it would take to much effort to reinforce the neck to take the extra tension. All we need now are bridges (Imagine a 14 string low pro edge!).

A while back I was reading that for some people, the octave strings on the low A and E would sometimes sound mushy (is that right?) and that in an effort to combat this BC Rich came out with the 10 string Rich Bich as opposed to a regular 12. * Personally the last time I played a 12 string, all the strings sounded great.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 07:46 AM

Why No 14?

Yep, I've never had troubles in my limited experience. *I also know of one guy (Jeff Martin of The Tea Party) who tunes his 12-string C-G-C-G-C-D, which even sounds floppy on my electric, but it sounds good on his 12. *I think it just depends on the guitar. *My acoustic 6-string sounds very bassy and muddy, but I've heard really really nice sounding ones too.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 5
Why No 14?

I think the main reason you haven't seen one yet is demand. *As it stands demand for 7's is decreasing already. *I can't imagine that 14s would be more popular. *Conversely, I imagine that if 14s were made, many folks would ooh and ah and about 12 of us would buy one.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:29 PM

Why No 14?

You know what, Ibanez did present a couple of different 14-string guitar prototypes on the Frankfurt music fair in 2000.

As far as I can recall, one was a Saber Classic model with 14 strings and a quite playable neck (honestly!), the other one was a Saber Doubleneck with one 7-string and one 14-string neck...argh.

So the idea is not that far off!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 05:45 PM

Why No 14?

nifty... * hopefully they'll be here soon... *though i'd rather the 14's be acoustic... * i know washburn had a 12/6 acoustic double neck... * ibanez should one up them with a 14/7 double neck acoustic... *sweet dreams are made of this... *(hey check out my brand new 21 string guitar!)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 2
Why No 14?

But honestly who would but them.

How many 7 string fans have an ibanez 7 string acoustic?

Tags
art guitar , charlie hunter , double neck , pro edge , string acoustic , string bridge , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode