Why no Prestige RGTs and RGAs? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By sugizo_esp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Why no Prestige RGTs and RGAs?

Hi everybody,

I keep asking myself, why there are currently no RGTs or RGAs in the Ibanez Prestige lineup?
Does Fujigen not offer the construction of through-necks and arch-tops anymore, or is it just a reaction customer demand?

In the signature-series there is the neck-trough M8M and the arched-top JBM100, but nothing in the regular RG series.

Even in the J.Custom-series on the japanese website, I couldn't find neck-through models. Though there seem to be 2 websites but my japanese is not good enough to read, what they are really about:
Ibanez | j.custom
J.custom | Ibanez guitars <- on this page there are some neck-through models

Does anybody know if the RGA and espacially the RGT will come back?

greetings
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Why no Prestige RGTs and RGAs?

It always boils down to demand for non-signature models. If they ever come back you'd know shortly after dealers know. The RGT in particular (floating trem neck thru) didn't seem to fill a lot of actual customer needs.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
... The RGT in particular (floating trem neck thru) didn't seem to fill a lot of actual customer needs.
Probably You're right. It also works the other way. Trends are set by manufacturers... but at the end (of stick) it's all about production cost/selling...You know that.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:29 PM

We offered to buy 100 RGA prestiges and they told us no. Ibanez Japan is just really weird to deal with. Good guys and very nice but yeah, no idea. The RGA would sell like hotcakes.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
We offered to buy 100 RGA prestiges and they told us no. Ibanez Japan is just really weird to deal with. Good guys and very nice but yeah, no idea. The RGA would sell like hotcakes.
Wow, i'd probably buy one (fixed bridge). You wonder if Fuji just won't do them (based on time to make the body, etc). Again this is where Ibanez investing in the places we're not excited about directly impacts fans and what they can offer in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mah View Post
Probably You're right. It also works the other way. Trends are set by manufacturers... but at the end (of stick) it's all about production cost/selling...You know that.
For sure, Ibanez has been unable to set trends at Prestige pricing beyond signature guitars though. This is not a knock just a market reality.

The cheapest Ibanez MI at GC is $1200. ... Ibanez Electric Guitars | Guitar Center

They sell made-in USA Gibsons for $399 & 449. ... Gibson Electric Guitars | Guitar Center

Not apples to apples of course but that is an uphill climb.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:24 AM
site founder 0% owner

BTW you can get an archtop RGA-like axe (without the Ibanez logo) from FGN such as the Elan. Extra credit for the JS burnt blue color that wouldn't come to the usa...

https://reverb.com/item/1642553-bran...olors-in-stock

https://reverb.com/item/1632905-bran...n-ibanez-plant
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 07:15 AM

RGA prestige upper cut!

If you have a few organs to sell

??????Website?|?Ibanez Prestige Uppercut RGA6UCS-GFB ?8?31??????
Joshtsavo likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 07:47 AM

That's a beauty but the price!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:19 AM

Yeah that thing is pretty unreal. Don't care at all about the BKP's personally, but the combination of woods at the slightly thicker Wizard HP neck is awesome.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Price is the only barrier. RGA prestige were never cheap. But these new gen no longer uses thick maple top.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:30 PM

I don't think the RGTs did as well as they hoped because of the price, and as others have mentioned, neck-thru + trem didn't seem to fill the intended niche.

Also, the RGTs didn't have any of the beloved wizard profiles - instead, they had the ultra profile, which is chunkier and feels more traditional. While some people loved the profile (I've seen several ESP players love it), it seemed to throw off many RG enthusiasts, as most are used to the wizard profiles (which is a huge reason some players strictly play RGs).

Lastly, I believe most RG enthusiasts prefer bolt on necks. Neither construction is better than the other, it's more about the guitar as a whole. Personally, I had an RGT320Q-RBB for a while, that I let go because I wasn't digging the neck profile and tone. It was my first neck-thru RG, and I wasn't really a fan of the tone. I swapped the stock pups for Dimarzio D-activators and tuned it to D standard. Although it sounded tight and aggressive, it also sounded too bright and thin for my liking. The wings were mahogany, but the pickups sat in maple, which is why I think it was overly bright - that in combination of having a trem. It also had a "quacky" midrange that I could not dial out, and didn't have that problem with D-activators in my RGA.

I also wonder why they haven't made more MIJ RGAs over the years. They seemed to have been popular... Starting with the RGA321s & RGA121s, then the trem equipped RGA420Zs & RGA220Zs. I have a 321 and 420z and they are super nice, pretty similar to the RG3120 in terms of quality. My only complaint with the MIJ RGAs of the past is that the flamed tops have been super inconsistent - especially the RGA321s - I've seen some with absolutely no flame and some with really nice flame, and everything in between... But mostly very subtle flame unfortunately.

I've seen spot model J Custom RGAs pop up, and the newly listed RGA prestige uppercut, but they're ridiculously priced. Other than that, we've seen the return of the RGA series in the iron label line... which sucks for people who are shopping for MIJ. Best bet for those people is to look for a used 321/121 (fixed bridge) or 220z/420z (trems).

Regular RGA prestige's might make a come back, but it's probably a long shot. I don't think we'll see the return of RGTs, but if we do, I think it'd be a fixed bridge version (tight end R would be cool, like on RGDs). Ibanez knows their RG series sells the best, so I guess they've decided years ago to stick with that for the most part in the prestige line. Times are changing though and they have to keep up competition with other brands!

Here's my RGA420z
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:44 PM

I have to believe that the neck profile was a significant factor in the RGT's never catching on. I also had an RGT320QRBB but could just never get behind the neck, which is too bad because it was a stunningly beautiful guitar.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mah View Post
It also works the other way. Trends are set by manufacturers... but at the end (of stick) it's all about production cost/selling...
Good guitarists know a good guitar when they play one. They can not be tricked or convinced a different guitar is better if it clearly isn't. Manufacturers see things differently and end up shooting themselves in the foot. Lower production costs do not matter if the result is a lower quality guitar that no one buys. Trends fail to be set and you get the situation we have now: companies build their proverbial houses on social media data which equates to sand. If manufacturers really understand quality and how important it is, their proverbial houses will be built on rock. I know the guitar business is never that straightforward, but it's not as complicated as some manufacturers make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
For sure, Ibanez has been unable to set trends at Prestige pricing beyond signature guitars though. This is not a knock just a market reality.

They sell made-in USA Gibsons for $399 & 449. ... Gibson Electric Guitars | Guitar Center

Not apples to apples of course but that is an uphill climb.
Regarding Ibanez, you are right, and that is a bizarre market reality, especially when Prestige guitars are less expensive than MIJ Signature models...across the board...I find it slightly worrying...

Regarding Gibson, all USA made guitars would be much cheaper if they were built using poplar plywood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode