Why should I buy an Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Why should I buy an Ibanez?

Whys hould I buy an Ibanez RG1550SA rather than a Jackson, Fender, BC Rich or ESP of the same price range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 11:11 PM

Well, stand back, because I think you're about to get some pretty good, yet biased opinions here. It's a great thread. I'm going to sit back and wait and see if any good points are left out. The most important thing, though, is that you should get the Ibanez. Now lets wait and see what others have to say......
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 12:26 AM

Well, here's the first "biased" opinion.

Rich Harris @ IbanezRules.com
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Fry

I like my rg neck more than anything in the world. it is nice and slim. i hate bulky fender and gibson necks. that is why I buy ibanez guitars. esp's are good though, but they mostly all come with xtra jumbo frets, which is too much in my opinion
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 06:37 AM

I love the necks on Ibanezes, but I also love the necks on ESPs. The main thing that swings it for me is that most ESPs are two humbuckers, whearas most Ibanez are HSH. I couldn't have a 'main' guitar without a central single coil, I just use it too often!

Other than that it's pretty much 50/50 for me. I wouldn't buy a Jackson though - only on account of their out-and-out rock image.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 06:44 AM

because I said so.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:35 AM

One main thing does it for me.....the necks. I just love the ultra-thin feel of them. Other companies like Jackson, ESP and Charvel have that too. But I just prefer the Ibanez style.

Its all personal preferance. Some people on here are Jackson men, some are ESP kina men. But most are Ibanez!

Another key thing for me is that you know where you are with them. If you know what I mean. They are easy to MOD and change and muck around with.

Oh I dont know I ran out of stuff now.....But you should choose Ibby!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:58 AM

There are two main reasons why you would buy the Ibanez:
- The floyd is one of the very best there are, it can take abuse for years without letting you down. This is one of the biggest reasons why so many bands play Ibanez RG5xx-series
- The neck is very sweet. But if you like a beefy neck no way you should go for an Ibanez with a super-wizard or wizard profile neck.
- It should look right for your tastes. Some people prefer guitars with a stoptail or stringthru instead of a floyd, and the superstrat idea will have to suit you

You won't regret the Ibanez, but the same can be said about the others. The things I hear about the NJ-series of BC Rich are pretty positive, and ESP (it's probably an ESP/LTD you're considering) makes very nice guitars. The Eclipses are killer guitars!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 08:16 AM
dex

The only thing that Ibanez have that is way superior to all the other companies are the locking studs and the chunky baseplates on their tremolo systems that give you a very good tunning stability and a very natural, spongy-smooth feel.

Also in the case of RG5xx you are getting a Japanese made guitar with very high quality workmanship, the best tremolo system out there and all for the same price as let's say Korean made LTD that comes with a generic trem and non-locking trem posts.

I am a big ESP fan but even the least expensive ESP Mirage (not LTD) is 200 more than the RG15xx so if the money is no object I would probably go for an ESP or a Jackson SL1 but if you are on a budget there is no better guitar out there than ans Ibanez.

ilia
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 02:12 PM

If your wanting to get a Floyd Rose, then get the Ibanez. For that price you will not find another new guitar that has a Floyd Rose that's even half the quality of the Edge Pro. If a Floyd Rose is not important then I would say you should look at ESP too. They are putting out some awesome, inexpensive guitars.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 08:19 AM

Everyone has for got the value a second hand RG550 costs less than 300 on average and it comes with a really nice neck the best floyd IMO and is sturdy as a rock. NO jackson/esp can compete with the hardwear at that price.

Freak
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 08:31 AM

Damn i knew i forgot something. Obviously the price is a huge factor.
Like he said for 300 you get a guitar that could last you a lifetime and thats as good as a JEM, with different pickups blah blah...

For what you get, which is alot of bang for your buck....that is incredibly cheap. And TBH, I wouldnt buy anything much else!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Well, I will have 650 to spend
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 AM

Thats plenty. But whatever you do I wouldnt buy new.
Do yourself a favour go secondhand and get a nice condition RG550 for around 300. Then keep the rest.

You'll be glad you did.....theyre great guitars for the money. And you could always change the pickups to some DiMarzios, then you really will have a killer axe on your hands. You cant go wrong.
Gary - The.Godfather
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 04:54 PM

Dont bother with the 15xx either. The major strongpoints for Ibanez is the solid mid range line with top quality trems, and it's my opinion that the Edge Pro really is a step down stability-wise, due to the removal of the locking trem posts. It's a better design, and with potential, but at the moment I wouldn't bother because it's inferior to the Edge and you cant swap any other trem with it. Edge Pro guitars ONLY work with Edge Pros.

Besides, the 5xx are usually pretty new, and are CHEAP AS HELL!

Tags
edge pros , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , jumbo frets , killer guitar , locking stud , locking studs , low trs , playing guitar , pro edge , reverse headstock , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode