Why are strings loose on Epiphone Les Paul? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Why are strings loose on Epiphone Les Paul?

I'm not sure, but I hope this is the right area to post this in.

I'm an Ibanez man myself, so I've gotten used to the tighter string tension on my Ibanez (due to the through-body stringing). So it's easy to tell when a guitar has looser strings.

I've noticed when playing an Epiphone and Gibson Les Paul that the strings are very soft and floppy compared to my Ibanez, even though the Epiphone is fitted with heavier gauge strings than my Ibanez. It is annoying my friend, who owns the Epiphone.

I thought that possibly the strings are more floppy because they use a stopbar tailpiece instead of through-body stringing. Is this right or is it something else, and can anything be done about it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Re: Why are strings loose on Epiphone Les Paul?

I'd guess thats its because the scale length of the Les Pauls is shorter than that of the Ibanez. Scale length is the distance from the nut of the guitar to the bridge. If the scale length is shorter it means that the strings are more floppy, if it is longer then they are harder to pull around.

Chris
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Job View Post
If the scale length is shorter it means that the strings are more floppy, if it is longer then they are harder to pull around.
Chris, where did you come up with THAT theory?? I have a Gibson and an Epi (both LPs) strung with 9-42s (as of all my guitars with Floyds) and there not "soft" or "floppy" as any other one of them. I dont know, maybe it's me, but I thought tuned to A meant tuned to A? They all "feel" the same to me.................
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Bob,

I mean it could be pure c r a p but thats how I'd play it! I mean I guess thats the reason why - as far as I'm aware - id put heavier guage strings on a guitar such as a a les paul as it has a shorther scale length that a strat. So if you had 9s on both guitars, due the tension difference it would feel more floppy on the paul - while the strat would be fairly tight.

Again, I'm only guessing here! I dont use Les Paul guitars - I have no idea really what the deal is I just pick up the guitars and go! I dont really mind what the scale length is at all.

However if I'm wrong about this then off the right options! I just thought that this may be a suitable explaniation.

Chris
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Reviews: 120

Scale length does have an impact on the tension on the strings. They will feel more spongy or floppy. It always throws me a little when I play a guitar with 24 3/4" scale seeing as most of my guitars are 25 1/2" scale.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 PM

It is a suitable explaniation, but dont get your painties in a bunch the origanal poster didnt say anything about possible different string gauges? Again, my Epi ZW "feels" the same as my Ibanez PMC or the 11 other guitars that I have strung up with the same gauge....................
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mclaughlin View Post
Again, my Epi ZW "feels" the same as my Ibanez PMC or the 11 other guitars that I have strung up with the same gauge....................
It may well do, but same string gauge, same tuning and different scale length means that the string tensions are different.

All else being equal; shorter scale length = lower string tension or, as the OP put it, floppier strings.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Again, all suitable explaniations. Maybe we should wait until the OP posts again to clairify a little bit more on string gauges and (dropped?) tunings??? I think that would help his question................
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 PM

I had two Strat Plus guitars with one being a plus deluxe. The Plus felt tighter than the deluxe for some reason. I had same strings, same tuning, and same setup ie action. They both had same bridge, nut, and tuners but both felt different. When I got my new American Deluxe Strat at first it felt tighter but the more time I put on it the feel seemed to loosen up a bit.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 PM

Often I've found that when one guitar feels stiff and another one feels floppy, it's because one has cleaner frets, which makes it feel smoother. I'm sure there are other factors too but that's gotta be one of them.

Last edited by Petie; 09-30-2008 at 09:28 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 PM

Scale lenght affects string tension. Also the brand of strings can make a difference.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Sorry everyone; it seems that I didn't quite explain well enough. So here's a couple of things that might help:

1. Both my Ibanez and the Epiphone are currently using Dean Markley's "Blue Steel" strings. The Ibanez is using 10-49 gauge and the Epiphone is using 11-52.

2. Both guitars were tuned to A440 standard (E-A-D-G-B-E), and even though the Les Paul was using heavier gauge strings, they were still a lot easier to bend than mine. A little too easy for my friend's liking. It's still in tune, but it's just too bendable!

In the 2007 Ibanez catalogue, one thing I noticed was that they kept mentioning "through-body stringing for greater string tension". This made me wonder if the fact that the Les Paul uses a stopbar instead of through-body stringing would mean that the tension is not as much?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:29 AM

The thickness of the string and scale length determines at what tension the string is in tune. If you raise the tension you raise the pitch. If having the strings through the body raises the tension then you would have to loosen the string to be at the same pitch. It's like pulling up on your tremolo it raises the tension and therefore the pitch is raised.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Scale lenght affects string tension. Also the brand of strings can make a difference.
Very true! It's common knowledge that LP's and SG's are looser feeling.
Not so commonly known that different string materials will feel tighter or looser. I like Everly B-52 alloys on some of my Jem, Martins on my Gibby, and DiAddario on my Tele. If I run out of one, and use one ofthe other brands, I have to change my set-up and the feel is completely different. The alloys stay brighter, longer but they are pretty stiff.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
Sorry everyone; it seems that I didn't quite explain well enough. So here's a couple of things that might help:

1. Both my Ibanez and the Epiphone are currently using Dean Markley's "Blue Steel" strings. The Ibanez is using 10-49 gauge and the Epiphone is using 11-52.

2. Both guitars were tuned to A440 standard (E-A-D-G-B-E), and even though the Les Paul was using heavier gauge strings, they were still a lot easier to bend than mine. A little too easy for my friend's liking. It's still in tune, but it's just too bendable!

In the 2007 Ibanez catalogue, one thing I noticed was that they kept mentioning "through-body stringing for greater string tension". This made me wonder if the fact that the Les Paul uses a stopbar instead of through-body stringing would mean that the tension is not as much?
What Ibanez is it? Floyd'd guitars usually feel stiffer to me than any fixed bridge, regardless of type.

Other than that, yeah, tension is just a scale / string gauge thing, all other stuff being subjective. Who knows, maybe they packed 10s in an 11s package and theyre actually the same strings on a shorter scale

Tags
epiphone , epiphone les paul , gibson , loose , strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode