Will 550 fever die down, or not? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Will 550 fever die down, or not?

Seriously, I don't like this current trend. Someone sells a dy for $500 and people are all over it. I got mine for $330. I had a five alarm red 750 I got for $350.

I'm scared to know how much it would be to get another one. Why in the hell did I sell it? .

I need more 550's. it's an addiction man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:22 AM

Re: Will 550 fever die down, or not?

That's a freaking price you got for a 550 and the 750s, why in the world did you sell it?!
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:25 AM

It better die down. The frenzy bidding is making it very difficult to get something at a reasonable price, and it's also making it very hard to win an auction at the moment.

guitarslinger213, you are very fortunate to already have one. It's very frustrating trying to obtain your first.

Another thing to consider with the demand being so high at the moment, how long can the market sustain the supply with these being discontinued.
post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:36 AM

I think there is plenty to go around for the time being.

It just goes to show though, guys parting the them out (for better or worse) has made them slightly harder to get hold of.

A HUGE part of it is that they are damn good guitars for the price, so it's a no-brainer if you want something to shred on but don't want to shell out mega money.

I'm looking at mine right now, ahhhh...
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
That's a freaking price you got for a 550 and the 750s, why in the world did you sell it?!
Had to pay the rent. I figured I'd find another one.

I'm not too mad. It didn't sound as good as my DY, plus the frets weren't in as good of shape.

Now that I have money, the price skyrocketed.

I lost a bidding war on a white 550. At $451, i said "I'm probably bidding against the auctioneer's friend, I'm out".
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl
It better die down. The frenzy bidding is making it very difficult to get something at a reasonable price, and it's also making it very hard to win an auction at the moment.

guitarslinger213, you are very fortunate to already have one. It's very frustrating trying to obtain your first.

Another thing to consider with the demand being so high at the moment, how long can the market sustain the supply with these being discontinued.

to feed your desire.

to prove how stupid I am.
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:17 PM

I don't undertand it at all. I mean, they are decent guitars, but in the end I see them as nothing more then a poor mans JEM. Especially, with this whole DY mania. Personally, I'll take a 770, 770DX over a 550 any day of the week. Of course, if you relly like the 550's and that's waht works for you, then I say more power to ya!
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:10 PM

Some people probably prefer an RG550 to a Jem. It's not as flashy but still cool in it's own way. The RG550 is becoming a classic.
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Holiday
I don't undertand it at all. I mean, they are decent guitars, but in the end I see them as nothing more then a poor mans JEM. Especially, with this whole DY mania. Personally, I'll take a 770, 770DX over a 550 any day of the week. Of course, if you relly like the 550's and that's waht works for you, then I say more power to ya!
I like a pickguard and a maple board vastly more than a standard 770.

the 770dx, even with the pickguard, has direct mounting pickups which I hate compared to standard pickguard mount.

If the 750 had a maple board, it'd be the ultimate Ibanez.

Poor-man's jem? I don't like most of the finishes. The neck isn't as thin as a wizard. I also don't like the monkey grip. stupidly over-priced too.
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 03:42 PM

the 550 is a very versatile guitar. with a tone zone pickup in the bridge position, i could live with that one guitar.
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:39 PM

With regards to the original question,i'd say probably never on this website
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:05 PM

I want one... really badly.
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarslinger213
I like a pickguard and a maple board vastly more than a standard 770.

the 770dx, even with the pickguard, has direct mounting pickups which I hate compared to standard pickguard mount.

If the 750 had a maple board, it'd be the ultimate Ibanez.

Poor-man's jem? I don't like most of the finishes. The neck isn't as thin as a wizard. I also don't like the monkey grip. stupidly over-priced too.
I hear you. It really comes down to preference. That's why Ibanez was such a great company in the late 80's/early 90's. There was something for everyone. As far as the "poor-mans Jem" comment, I didn't mean that as a deragatory statement. My only point was, that the 550 allows someone to get very close to the look of the DY JEMS, but at a much more affordable price. And to some like yourself, who are not big JEM fans, it would allow you to get that color combo, rather then being excluded because it is only available on JEMS.

Truthfully, I have always been p*ssed that thy never offered up a RG770MC or a RG770PC. THat would have been so killer!
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Dee

I have a feeling that Ibanez will eventually cave in and reissue or re-release the 550 with a slight update. There are so many people on the Internet right now who are making lots of noise about the lack of decent colours, and how Ibanez has totally lost the plot with their current range of guitars. Believe me, people are pissed (myself included). I haven't seen a single Ibanez guitar I've wanted in about 10 years, and mainly it's the drab colours that are a huge problem. I am tired of scouring e*ay for an old bashed up 550 that 30 people are fighting over.

For the record, I have owned a 550 in Road Flare Red, plus a 750 in Purple Neon, and both were amazing guitars. I would KILL to get myself another 550 in Road Flare, or indeed Desert Yellow. My current Ibanez (a frankenstein built from 3 different guitars) is screwed, having been played to death since 1990. It cannot live for much longer and I need a new guitar desperately, but I refuse to buy the crap they are selling nowadays. My only real choice is to look towards other manufacturers. That's something I never wanted to do after 18 years of complete loyalty to one brand.

I've mentioned it before, but I would still like to start an online petition. Thing is I don't have the webspace or the knowledge to do it. Anyone want to help?

EDIT:

Aha! Stand by! You can do it for free.

EDIT 2: Done!

Sign the petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/IBANEZ/petition.html

Last edited by Dee; 06-16-2006 at 07:50 PM.
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeohollicA
I want one... really badly.
+1!!! Me too!!!

Tags
bridge position , edge trem , jem neck , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , maple neck , monkey grip , neck joint , paf pro , prestige wizard , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , road flare red , rosewood board , rosewood fretboard , seymour duncan , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , tone zone , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode