Will EMGs fit in the RGA121 without modification??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Will EMGs fit in the RGA121 without modification???

I've heard some people say yes, some say no, so what's the verdict???

If I have to file the flaps down a bit, no big deal...Just want to know. Thanks.

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:22 AM

Re: Will EMGs fit in the RGA121 without modification???

I don't have a RGA121 so I'm only going to guess and tell you what I did. First I had to grind down the mounting tabs from square to round to fit into the body. The next part was the fun part. I had to rout the hell out of the body of the guitar to get the EMGs to sit low enough to clear the strings. The area under the quick connect plug was the worst as I had to take about 1/4 to 3/8 in of wood out to get them in there. I used a Dremel tool. I did this on a RGT3120. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Donovan; 12-30-2005 at 02:45 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 05:42 AM

To make a long story short:
Donovan is right and no, they won't fit (at least not without heavy modifications).

I own a RGA121VLF and had to return a pair of EMG89s, because especially the neck pickup cavity(?) was too small and not deep enough (at least for the 89, I was so embarrassed I didn't try any others).
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 06:12 AM

Reviews: 7

That's what sucks about EMG's, they need sooo much more depth than other pick-ups... EMG should think about making the mounting tabs flush with the bottom of the pups, it would make people less iffy about buying them questioning whether or not they'll need to do some routing...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Wow that sucks!! I guess I'll ne staying passive!! Which isn't really a bad thing. I'm thinking duncan custom bridge and PAF Pro neck. Thanks a lot dudes. You saved me lots of $$!!

-Joe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 09:47 AM

Yeah, EMG's are an absolute pain in the behind. 90% of the time they will require routing to fit properly/snuggly. You will be far better sticking to the passive pickups as you say. Stick a nice set of Duncans in there, maybe a Custom and a JB. Or the Dimebag pickup - that pickup is so brash it has its own set of balls! lol
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
...Or the Dimebag pickup - that pickup is so brash it has its own set of balls! lol
+1
That's what I've put in, after returning the 89s.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:44 PM

EMGs will fit perfectly into guitars that have pickup rings like the regular RG series guitars. The problem with fitting seems to come into play with guitars that have direct-mounted pickups.

I love EMGs and all, but I personally think that an RGA is the wrong instrument for them in that it's SUCH a waste of all that beautiful tone wood.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

hehehe, I'm kind of excited about going passive now. I love the duncan custom and will use that for bridge. PAF Pro for neck sounds good eh??
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:00 PM

Joe,

Put a Duncan Custom and a Duncan Jazz (neck) in there....that'll sound bonkers...the Jazz is a great neck pickup, warm but articulate as well.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeChannel
Joe,

Put a Duncan Custom and a Duncan Jazz (neck) in there....that'll sound bonkers...the Jazz is a great neck pickup, warm but articulate as well.
True, never tried the Jazz...I know I like the PAF Pro, maybe I'll try the Duncan for the hell of it.

-Joe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:28 PM

Keep in mind that the Duncans will still require you to round the tabs, shouldn't be any big deal.

Jazz/Custom is what I am installing in my RGA121/VLF, think I'm gonna go with Zebra's for a more classic look.

Tags
mounted pickups , neck pickup , paf pro , paf pro neck , pickup cavity , pickup ring , pickup rings , pro neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode